USB 2.0 speed tests?

dbminter

Is there a way to determine the supported speeds on a USB 2.0 port? By this, I want to make sure I am getting Hi-Speed (480 Mbits/s) out of the ports as opposed to being capped to only Full Speed. And, yes, something labeled as USB 2.0 may still be only Full Speed at max.

I tried checking the Device Manager's entry under USB controllers, but, I am not entirely sure. The only thing listed as Enhanced was "Standard Enhanced PCI To USB Host Controller." Since my USB controller is listed as "Intel? 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller" I am not entirely sure I have an Enhanced controller present. So, I need to be sure. Otherwise, I want to check a USB 2.0 card I have on hand and see whether it is actually faster than my onboard MOBO's. Which, BTW, is the Intel D875PBZ, so, if anyone already knows the answer... :D

Thanks!

Yes that board supports hi-speed. It's the same board that I have - remember!

Plug a hdd in and read something. Do you get about 30 - 40mb/s ? If so, it's working at hi-speed ;)

Oh and when installed properly, the USB2 adapter is called:

Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

I do not have an entry for "Standard Enhanced PCI To USB Host Controller"

Are you sure you have installed the latest chipset INF drivers? Don't get the one from the 875PBZ page, that's old. The new one is v7.2.2.1007 or something.

LUK, I found this site

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1667.html

Is that what you were talking about?

Also, if I can't trust the Intel site, where should I be looking for the updates? Where do you look? :D Also, should I be looking somewhere else other than Intel's site for any new BIOS versions? The last one I found was back in June. Thanks!

Yeah major geeks is a good one for up-to-date drivers.

My download of the chipset driver did actually come from the Intel site.

Normally I'd go to support -> downloads -> Chipsets -> inf driver.

That only gets you 1006, not 1007.

To get 1007, you have to go to support -> downloads -> desktop boards -> 975x -> 975x.

Then you'll find the 1007 driver listed on that page.

or... as a direct link

ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/75...2.2.1007_PV.exe

To get 1007, you have to go to support -> downloads -> desktop boards -> 975x -> 975x.

So, you looked here?

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...45&submit=Go%21

Christ, I hate when they do this! This makes like the third time in recent memory I've posted this :lol: "Why can't people be consistent with this :horse:?!" >:p

So, should the 975x page replace the 875PBZ page I check for updates? i.e. would the BIOS here be for my board, too? I would say no, just for obvious reasons, but, thought I'd ask.

The 1007 set did change the text of one of the controllers to "Intel? 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD" apparently also gave it a boob job! =)) Driver version # is listed as 1001, so, I guess that's all as it's supposed to be.

Yes that board supports hi-speed. It's the same board that I have - remember!

Plug a hdd in and read something. Do you get about 30 - 40mb/s ? If so, it's working at hi-speed ;)

Oh and when installed properly, the USB2 adapter is called:

Intel? 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

I do not have an entry for "Standard Enhanced PCI To USB Host Controller"

Are you sure you have installed the latest chipset INF drivers? Don't get the one from the 875PBZ page, that's old. The new one is v7.2.2.1007 or something.

I have a controller with this description

Intel 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

in my Device Manager. Exactly what you write.

I can't find an entry for "Standard Enhanced PCI To USB Host Controller" in DM.

Minter and I tossed this back and forth and decided that since I bought this machine in AUG 2003, it has the "SuperUSB" capability. This only recently came to my attention. I don't have an external hdd and I'm not in the market for one. I noticed SuperUSB when I was shopping for a new burner.

My jumpdrive is really quite fast. I figured it would take a lot longer to transfer data on and off it, put even for 100MB files, it rips. The only other device I have running off of a USB port is my external Creative Live! Sound Card and there's narry a problem outputting sound. Getting Quake 4 and Doom 3 to recognize it has Enhanced HD sound, now that's a different story.

Edited by Pain_Man

No db, this is the link I would normally use to get stuff for my board.

That other one isn't right for mine - but maybe it is for yours?!

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...44&submit=Go%21

As you can see, the software it offers is well out of date now. Only thing it's good for is the bios updates - and I doubt there will be anymore of those after P34 anyway!

A good way to get all devices to install using those newer drivers / inf files is to remove the one under the 'System devices' branch that says 'PCI bus'.

Yeah major geeks is a good one for up-to-date drivers.

or... as a direct link

ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/75...2.2.1007_PV.exe

I recently spent $30 to join, for a year, a site called driveragent.com. I think I got jobbed.

The first driver I isntalled, that the site assured me was approprate for an old video card*, screwed XP up so it wouldn't boot. Fortunately, I was able to boot to safe mode and roll it back. XP booted but my main video card--ATI Radeon 9550 w/256MB--was presenting screwed up graphics. Fortunately, I'd set a Restore Point. Using it fixed all the issues--I hope; in any event the displays went back to normal. Plus a diagnostic program came with the "membership" than doesn't work! I think its a CRC error. Plus it writes to a floppy disk! So I've asked for a refund. So far, no response. If they ignore me or say no, I'll just take it to the credit card company.

(*An admittedly ancient second video card for my second monitor, a Creative Graphics Blaster Riva TNT 16Mb, I know, a-n-c-i-e-n-t :P , but it works good enough to power my equally ancient second monitor which I use for the clock prog and the Net Trace prog that I run to keep an eye on who and what's connected to the ol' desktop)

I dumped 91GB onto a 200GB external USB HDD yesterday, took 42 mins. Probably not that good a practice, but it didn't melt :lol:

I find not liquifying an excellent quality in all drives, internal, external, optical or magnetic. :)

• 2 months later...

f

No db, this is the link I would normally use to get stuff for my board.

That other one isn't right for mine - but maybe it is for yours?!

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...mp;submit=Go%21

As you can see, the software it offers is well out of date now. Only thing it's good for is the bios updates - and I doubt there will be anymore of those after P34 anyway!

A good way to get all devices to install using those newer drivers / inf files is to remove the one under the 'System devices' branch that says 'PCI bus'.

My Intel 875PBS shows FIVE USB Host Controllers, and only one is "USB2 24DD"

The other four are "USB 24D2, D4, and D7." All USB1.0 -- Can you tell me how to get rid of the low speed controllers. I tried deleting them in control panel but the next time I booted, there they were again!

Thanks for any info.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.