Allow mixed case in ISO for Windows installer.

Johnhc

I recently started using ImgBurn to create and burn ISO files after running nLite on XP x64. I discovered that all the folder/file names in my installed copy of Windows contained only upper case. Searches here revealed some things to try (ASCII, UDF, etc) but all solicited an error message that the ISO wold fail to installed with the selected option(s). I went back to nLite and tried the alternate ISO Engine (Mkisofs) - it worked and my mixed case file/folder name remained intact. I am told the upper case only names are required for a net install which I am not doing. I hope it will be possible to include an option allowing my mixed case name to be preserved, perhaps with a warning that I cannot do a net install using the ISO. Thanks for any comment. Enjoy, John.

All the options are there in the ISO9660 Restrictions tab.

If you build a normal XP install disc (as per the guide in the Guides forum) then the program handles those options automatically for you. If it's a weird one (with things in odd places) then you'll have to configure them yourself.

Still, uppercase, lowercase, long name, no extensions etc can all be configured accordingly if you need to break the typical ISO9660 file system specs.

LIGHTNING UK!, thanks for your reply. I tried various options and kept getting an error message saying that my ISO would not be installable. Are you suggesting that I simply ignore these error messages and proceed? What option(s) should I use - ACSII? Thanks, John.

Thanks again, LIGHTNING UK! Here is the error message. I replied No and it said it completed successfully. The folder/file names are indeed mixed case and the ISO auto starts on my VMware Server VM. I will use this method, unless you tell me it is no good, in my next install - after some more debug on my current install. Thanks, John.

---------------------------

ImgBurn

It looks like you might be trying to build an Operating System installation disc!

That's fine by me, except you have a conflicting setting that could stop it from working properly.

Proposed Setting Change:

ISO9660 - Character Set - DOS

Would you like me to adjust the setting for you?

Yes No Cancel

EDIT: I went ahead and booted the ISO and Windows Setup starts fine.

Edited by Johnhc

LIGHTNING UK!, I have used ALL the recommended settings and installed both on VMware Server and on hardware. They both work just fine. I just did not like the all uppercase folder/file names. For example, I copy my IE Favorites into the ISO and then to the Favorites folder during install. Then all my IE shortcuts are in all caps. I have not installed the ASCII ISO yet but will try next on both VM and hardware. Thanks, John.

Ah ok, I see what you're doing now.

I've seen in the past that ASCII doesn't work if certain files don't already have the correct case. Forcing them to upper lets the install discs work - but of course that then applies to all the files on the disc.

For me, it would make more sense to install the OS, make it how I want it and then take an image rather than messing with a custom install disc... each to their own though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.