Erratic Drive speed, consumed buffers then burn slows down!

Paladin77

Well its not really A problem and am not going to lose sleep over it since the DVD played more than fine in the DVD player. I just noticed that the 16X discs I try to burn on my External LG USB drive tend to be burned erratically at a slower speed than maximum (which is set as AWS) in the middle of the burn, with the device buffers getting consumed quicker than drive can write, then the drive responds to this by slowing down to 8X (which seems to be a stable speed). The Media is as u see most decent I can lay my hands on (oh how I wish for YUDEN discs :( ), and the drive has the latest firmware SE02 (I seldom burn DVDs since I have over 1TB of space).

I just wanted to know if there is something I am missing: a setting that is specific for USB drives (this issue doesn't happen with the crappier laptop slim drive). or something I am doing wrong.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 - Log

; Sunday, 27 September 2009, 22:32:24

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 22:14:03 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 22:14:03 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (6.1, Build 7600)

I 22:14:03 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,504 KB - Available: 1,550,432 KB

I 22:14:03 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:14:03 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:14:03 Found 2 DVD

HL_DT_ST_DVDRAM_GSA_E40L_SE02_SUNDAY_SEPTEMBER_27_2009_10_16_PM_MCC_004_00_MAX.ibg

That usually happens when the USB bus isn't delivering data fast enough to maintain that burn speed, which in your case is 18x (AWS defaults to MAX speed if not configured otherwise).

You can try burning at 16x or 12x and you probably won't have that problem again.

To be honest, it *should* be fine. If LG supply you with a proper external drive then their enclosure should be able to handle 22x or whatever the drive is rated for. What they have no control over (obviously) is your USB controller. Some just work better than others.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.