Horologists, take note!

dbminter

Depending on where you live and/or how where you live records the current date format, something that won't happen for 100 more years will occur.

If your area lists the month first and then the day in its short form for listing dates, at 01:02:03, the date and time will read 01:02:03 04/05/06! :o

Now, NOT just that, but, notice these attributes of the number series:

the first three sets add up to the last number in the set (01+02+03=06)

the first three sets when multiplied together also equal the last number in the set (01*02*03=06)

the first 5 values added together equal the same value when you add the last three together! (01+02+03+04+05=15=04+05+06)

This means something! :unsure:

Yes. It is. And, it's wrong. =))

For once, I do think the American way works better. ;) For instance, for Days 1 through 28, all the months have those values, so, the month to come first makes more sense in ordinal precedence. Plus, since all the values for the months also appear in the set for all values for the days, it can easily be confused to have to think back and forth between countries. So, best to choose the system that is better. And, for the reasons I have stated, I believe the MM/DD/YY system (Actually, I prefer the YYYY system, having been one of those programmers who actually thought of the problem that would be called Y2K myself back in 1992. I personally adopted 4 digit years. :D)

I thought it was the rest of the world v the US ?? Don't tell me there are more of you dyslexic date guys out there !!! :P

It is a good question. I don't know if anyone else other than US and its territories employs that style or not.

I thought it was the rest of the world v the US ?? Don't tell me there are more of you dyslexic date guys out there !!! :P

It is a good question. I don't know if anyone else other than US and its territories employs that style or not.

I don't think any other country does. It's similar to how no one but the U.S. uses the Standard system of measuring; every other country uses the Metric system.

I spend a lot of time in the USA, and when US immigration finally get round to issuing my visa, that's where I'll be residing. Basically I'm going to have to revert back to non metric which i know will confuse the hell out of an old dog like me........ :blink:

Personally, I like YYYY/MM/DD, but it hasn't caught on (anywhere). :)

As far as metrics, the US tried, at least back in the (*ahem*) 70s/80s. :blush: I was only taught metrics in grade school... I still don't know standard measures very well because they were never taught, nor metrics because they were never used.

I have my handy-dandy standard-measures-conversion-table posted on the refrigerator to this day, if I need it! :thumbup:

Edited by newer than newbie

The YYYY first format is popular with a lot of websites because a lot of relational databases begin that way. It makes it easier to handle things on a yearly basis and for tax purposes to be able to isolate yearly files.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.