Playback issues in your XBOX360?

LIGHTNING UK!

Ok so I'm writing this because I'm fed up with repeating myself over and over again in all the XBOX360 related threads on this forum.

If your disc didn't burn and verify successfully, please consider the following...

• Is the firmware on your drive up-to-date?
  • Did you use cheapo media? - Read This
  • Did you use the optimal write speed for your drive/firmware/media combo? - This one is trial and error combined with a bit of 'Disc Quality' or 'PIPO' scanning for those people wanting the absolute best quality burns.
  • Overburning double layer discs (by means of a modified firmware in your burner) is prone to failure. Neither the drive nor the discs were designed for it and the write/verify process will often fail because of this - deal with it!
  • If you're still stuck, make a new thread and include a copy of the program's log from that write+verify session.

If your disc did burn and verify successfully, don't bother posting because we really don't care about the other issues - they're nothing to do with us!

If your disc doesn't play, either your source image is/was faulty or your console is actively rejecting/blocking it.

Why would my image be faulty?

1. You didn't make it correctly in the first place - make another one from your original disc using the appropriate tools.
  2. You're a :pirate: and a bad one at that.

Why would it be actively rejecting/blocking it?

1. A 'standard' console will only play original 'pressed' DVD-ROM discs, not backups. :doh:
  2. A 'modified' console may have been 'flagged' for playing backups. Playing backups may no longer be possible.
  3. A 'modified' console may have a version of the modification installed that prevents the disc from playing - the modification may be doing this on purpose or may need updating.
  4. A 'modified' console may have been returned to a 'standard' console after a dashboard upgrade.
  5. You opted to 'Truncate' (or 'Overburn' - which then failed) the image you were burning because it was too big for the disc. You can run into problems if something important ends up missing from the disc!
  6. Your drive didn't do a very good job of burning the disc and it's unreadable.
    • Is the firmware on your drive up-to-date?
    • Did you use cheapo media? - Read This
    • Did you verify your burn? - If not, start doing so!
    • Did you use the optimal write speed for your drive/firmware/media combo? - This one is trial and error combined with a bit of 'Disc Quality' or 'PIPO' scanning for those people wanting the absolute best quality burns.

[*]The drive in the console is dirty, clean it with a cleaning disc.

[*]The drive in the console is broken, buy yourself a new console.

Knowing all the answers one day doesn't mean you'll still know everything the next. Things change and keeping up with them is down to you.