DVD-DL burning

canadian bacon

good day eh,,,im tring to burn to -R DL and i get this message,,layer jump recording disabled,cannot set layer break position when burning DVD-R DL in DAO mode,,since i updated to 1.2.0.0 i have gotton this message,,can some one help please,,cheers :'(

-R DL's are a bit of a pain I'm afraid. I don't have any good advice to give on them, other than to switch to Verbatim +R DL's, and you'll have no trouble. I've burned quite a few, with not one problem.

i have used DVD+DL for awhile,,some of my standalone players are picky on the playback,,so far the best to playback is my playstation 2,,there is no skips,freezes,nothing,,just thought i try a differnt format to see if it would play on my picky players,,

I have to agree with Grain - I would only recommend Verbatim DVD+R DL and stay clear of their DVD-R DL's they seem like to much effort. I don't know anyone who has succesfully burnt a DVD-R DL that has played back in standalones either.....

I am surprised at the troubles you seem to be having with Verb DVD+R DL's - you are setting the book type to DVD-ROM yeah ? :unsure:

Ignore the message from 1.2.0.0 - even with layer jump recording you still can't set the layer break nicely and burn in the same style as dvd+r dl. When I first wrote that text, I was under the impression layer jump recording was something different to what I now know it to be.

dvd-r dl are totally useless for anything that needs you to position the layer break - i.e. any movie stuff!

So as the others have said, ditch the -r and buy +r instead.

Ignore the message from 1.2.0.0 - even with layer jump recording you still can't set the layer break nicely and burn in the same style as dvd+r dl. When I first wrote that text, I was under the impression layer jump recording was something different to what I now know it to be.

dvd-r dl are totally useless for anything that needs you to position the layer break - i.e. any movie stuff!

So as the others have said, ditch the -r and buy +r instead.

thanks guys,,,and no im not have to much trouble with DVD+R DL,,, PANASONIC,MY SONY DVD RECORDER, have a hard time reading it,,my pioneer wont read it at all,,my son has a tv dvd combo,,APEX,,if i burn it with imageburn,,it wont read it at all to,only with DL discs,,not the 4.7 discs,,they read find with all with imageburn,,and yes i use verbatim and fuji and memorex,,they all burn fine with imagebrun and play flawlessly only on my playstation 2,,thats why i thought i could try the -R to see how this would work,,im going to burn one,,ill let you guys know what happens,,,UK buddy your the best,,keep up the not good,great work,,,if you were a little closer i throw some maple syrup your way,,cheers :P

canadian bacon, when you open Imgburn, look at the lower right hand side side just rightof the speed setting. You will see a icon which looks like an open BOOK, thats where you can set the book type :)

Edited by kevdriver

canadian bacon, when you open Imgburn, look at the lower right hand side side just rightof the speed setting. You will see a icon which looks like an open BOOK, thats where you can set the book type :)

HEY,,THANKS ILL SEND SOME MAPLE SYRUP YOUR WAY TO,,EH,, CHEERS :lol: P.S. i have changed to dvd rom from my LG recorder,what about my sony,,dosnt have a setting for that,,how can i change or make sure it burns as a bookrom,,cheers

Edited by canadian bacon

canadian bacon, not all drives are bookable.If your drive isn't listed then chances are it doesn't support book typing. I use Pionneer drives and cannot use book typing on them. :( . Good Luck :) Glad we could help you out. :thumbup:

canadian bacon, not all drives are bookable.If your drive isn't listed then chances are it doesn't support book typing. I use Pionneer drives and cannot use book typing on them. :( . Good Luck :) Glad we could help you out. :thumbup:

thanks guys for all your help,,keep up the great work :lol:

Not on DL's either? :(

Not on DL's either? :(

Don't honestly know 100% Grain. My two Pionneer drives don't support booktyping. I just assumed that burning to a DL disc the pionneers auto booktyped to DVD-ROM. I really gotta do more research on this. Am goinng to look at the newest Pionneer drives as well as the benq and NEC, it would be nice to be able to set the book type. :)

I just assumed that burning to a DL disc the pionneers auto booktyped to DVD-ROM.

Correct. :)

I thought I'd read that, +R DVD5's aren't changable though are they.

HEY,,THANKS ILL SEND SOME MAPLE SYRUP YOUR WAY TO,,EH,, CHEERS :lol: P.S. i have changed to dvd rom from my LG recorder,what about my sony,,dosnt have a setting for that,,how can i change or make sure it burns as a bookrom,,cheers

It depends on what type of Sony you have. Check out this site:

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

If your Sony DVD Recorder is actually a re-badged LiteOn drive (Sony doesn't make any of their own recorders anymore), then you can flash it to the native LiteOn using the utilities you find at this web page, and the LiteOn drives allow book type setting! You can even keep the Sony drive ID while allowing book type setting. I belive if you do this, the omnipatcher utility autosets all media types to DVD-ROM, including DVD+R and DVD+RW. That's what it did on my girlfriends Sony drive. The drive (Equivalent to the LiteOn SOHW-832S) had the ability at first, then Sony disabled that ability in later firmware versions! Their official reason is that they didn't want to support this since it was not part of the DVD+R spec, but its more likely they didn't want to make it easy to copy DVDs, especially their DVDs, that would be playable in most any player....

I believe some of the later Sony drives are actually Benq drives, but these too allow book type setting, so if you can find a way to flash to that, you can use the Benq utilities to set the book type.

i have burnt DL+R with my sony as is,,and it plays perfect on my players,,,i changed the booktype on my LG and now it plays perfect on my picky players,,I.E. panasonic,,and i have used DL-R,,and it also playys great,,and i checked the differance on the layer break from the original,,I.E. star wars,lord of the rings and king kong,,no diff,right were the original break is,,so is the burnt one,,,i love it.cheers :w00t:

canadian bacon,

I started searching the forums with the exact problem you started this post with....

You now say you have used a DL-R... How did you get that to work exactly ?

I have a Plextor PX-740A, and Verbatim DL-R disks (MKM 01RD30)...

Ripped w/ DVDD 3.1.6.0 to ISO w/an MDS...

IFO Layer Break Info is as follows:

LBA = 2040416

LU = n/a

PGC = 1

Cell = 6

Time = 38:30

Slip = no

Image Midpoint = 2002208

Can't change my Book Type in ImgBurn 1.2.0.0....

You can't use DVD-R DL if you need to position the layerbreak - just forget about using them!

Some of the newer plextor (with original firmware) don't allow for unauthorised programs to issue booktype setting commands. I believe the latest firmwares DO allow for it again, so maybe there is an update you're missing.

spski,,,,there is a warning about DL-R in the beginning,,i ignored it and burnt it anyway,,then i compared it with the original and the layer break was at the same spot,,,i see there are not alot of DL-R fans here,,i just thought i give it a try to see what the playback was like on my players,,,they are fussy on DL,,one thing i will say that the updates on imgburn made it a whole lot easier for my players to read,,nice to watch a movie entirely without it freezing up,,,cheers, :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.