Synchronising/Synchronizing Cache

dbminter

What exactly is happening in this step? By that, I mean, in particular, what caches are being synched and what are they being synched to? Zero? I believe the text is what is returned by a drive when, basically, the Synch Cache command is issued to a burner, and that that command is for finalizing the last open track on a disc. But, I was wondering what caches are being synched, or is it some kind of generic text that doesn't really mean what it says. :)

It simply writes whatever is in the rest of the device buffer.

The sync cache command is typically taken to mean - "right, that's it, I've finished sending you data now", and so that's when the drive performs the leadout stuff.

I'm sure the MMC specs will tell you more if you want to read about it.

Sync Cache is an actual command listed within that spec.

The exact process performed when 'Sync Cache' is issued seems to vary depending on the type of media you're burning to.

I'm sure the MMC specs will tell you more if you want to read about it.

'Scuse the ignorance, but what is the "MMC" spec?

I'm guessing it's this:

Multimedia Command, a set of instructions for CD/DVD devices?

Oops yeah sorry :)

I figured I'd told you guys (the beta team) about them before and that I didn't need to say that bit again ;)

They're available from http://www.t10.org

Thanks, Lightning.

I have a really killer program called Babylon. It's basically a UI/search engine for locally installed or 'Net glossaries and data bases (e.g. "9300 Computer Terms"). I've got several dozen installed. It can usually 75% of the time or so, come up with the answer. They've added wikipedia but, in my experience, wikipedia info has to be treated with extreme caution unless you already know it to be accurate or can confirm it. There's definitely people with an agenda over there and one is harassed if one goes up against this clique.

I've not had the honor of being invited to join the Beta team. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure have the skillset/level of knowledge to qualify. But since I don't know what those are...maybe I do.

I was a pretty heavy contributor on the old board (apologies for violating any tabu here). I believe I had over 400 posts.

Made it to "Senior Member" or something.

I was thinking that was probably must have been what happened. :) Because, if Pain Man was made part of the team... I'd walk off in protest and spill my guts to the Venusians who can use any and all info they can get to CONQUER US ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! :unsure:

Mars has a relatively neutral atmosphere, so, yes, Venusians could withstand a common cold. The trick is they bring their own bottled atmospheres. Those stupid Martians came here and thought they had the world to themselves. But, the buggers were dumb enough to breathe our air, even though there is none of it on Mars to breathe, so, go figure. The Venusians were laughing their 3 asses off (Two in the back, one in the front.) when their probes beamed back the pathetic Martian invasion of 1898. Even more so when the dumb Reds, as they call them, tried again in 1938, 1953, 1988, and 2005.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.