PortableApps.com Installer/Launcher

Voltron43

@LIGHTENING UK!

I was browsing the ImgBurn forum and came across this post regarding the ImgBurn license and the packaging of the intsaller.

Feel free to recommend the program as a solution for burning the ISO file and even link to the download page but to keep things easy, I'd prefer it if you didn't 'bundle' it. It's not really how I like ImgBurn to get distributed and if I say it's OK for one company to do it (like in your case where burning is nothing to do with the main product you're selling), others (where that's not the case) assume it's OK for them too - that's what I want to avoid.

I would really like to be able to create a PortableApps.com launcher/wrapper for ImgBurn, but I know that you don't want the application to be distributed by any other means besides your website. To get around the problem, I was thinking of creating an AutoHotkey script that'll download the installer package or zip file from your website and install it into the correct directory upon the first launch, and then launch ImgBurn in portable mode.

My questions for you is as follows:

1. Can I distribute ImgBurn in a PortableApps.com paf package?
  2. If the above question is no, can I create an AutoHotkey based Launcher and publish it on the PortableApps.com forum?
  3. If the above question is yes, do you have a link to the lateset downloadable zip file of ImgBurn from your website?
  4. If the above question is no, is there an NSIS installer switch CLI that can extract the files from the ImgBurn setup file?

Let me know what'd you like me to do.

Edited by Voltron43

As has just been done with the U3P installer, if you make one I can disassemble/copy or tell me the steps, I'll do it and stick it on the website.

I just need to be able to automate the package creation so I can do it with the double click of a BAT file. (i.e. create the normal setup, u3p and portableapps one at the same time)

As has just been done with the U3P installer, if you make one I can disassemble/copy or tell me the steps, I'll do it and stick it on the website.

I just need to be able to automate the package creation so I can do it with the double click of a BAT file. (i.e. create the normal setup, u3p and portableapps one at the same time)

PortableApps.com has a simple installer application that automatically packages the installer using NSIS. The PortableApps.com development instructions can be found here. Let me know if you want any help with it! (I'll start developing the setting files just in case ;) )

John T. Haller (the main developer of PortableApps.com) has mentioned that you can create the install file with the PortableApps.com Installer app and a batch file.

Also let him know it can be done with a BAT file. You can feed the X:\PathToFiles\IMGBurnPortable path to PortableApps.comInstaller.exe and it will automatically create and drop the installer in X:\PathToFiles

So I've created two separate installers:

1. ImgBurnPortable PAF Installer Dev Test 1
  2. ImgBurnPortable Online PAF Installer Dev Test 1

Where the first PAF Installer packages ImgBurn and the second Online PAF Installer downloads the ImgBurn setup file from www.ImgBurn.com and extracts the ImgBurn files to the ImgBurnPortable\App\ImgBurn directory.

@LIGHTENING UK!

Let me know which of the install files you'd like me to post on the PortableApps.com forum.

Feedback is welcome!

Edit: Links are out of date.

Edited by Voltron43

any news?

i looks like it is zip with a lot of folders.

@Voltron43

did you just the program( the one on portable apps) to create the installer?

So I've created two separate installers:

1. ImgBurnPortable PAF Installer Dev Test 1
  2. ImgBurnPortable Online PAF Installer Dev Test 1

Where the first PAF Installer packages ImgBurn and the second Online PAF Installer downloads the ImgBurn setup file from www.ImgBurn.com and extracts the ImgBurn files to the ImgBurnPortable\App\ImgBurn directory.

@LIGHTENING UK!

Let me know which of the install files you'd like me to post on the PortableApps.com forum.

Feedback is welcome!

any news?

i looks like it is zip with a lot of folders.

@Voltron43

did you just the program( the one on portable apps) to create the installer?

The first installer has ImgBurn packaged in it already and the second online installer downloads the ImgBurn setup file from www.imgburn.com then extracts it into the portableapps directory. I haven't heard any news from the ImgBurn developer, so maybe in a few days I'll just post the online installer in the PortableApps.com forum. I'll reply to this thread once I've posted to the forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.