Authority figures are IDIOTS!

dbminter

Oh, man, check THIS one out...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147012.html

"Power-up prank lands gamers in trouble

Ohio girls face potential charges for joke after bomb squad is called; teenagers made life-size Mario power-up boxes, hung them around town.

Games have gotten some kids in trouble again, but this time it's a far cry from the Devin Moore case, which continues to make headlines. This time the source of the problem wasn't an M-rated game like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas or Doom, it was the seemingly innocuous Super Mario Bros.

In the town of Ravenna, Ohio, five teenage girls, ages 16 and 17, crafted some life-sized power-up boxes modeled after those in the NES classic. The cardboard boxes were covered in shiny, gold wrapping paper and had the black question marks familiar to most gamers. As an April Fools joke, the girls laid 17 of these boxes around the town in public spaces Friday morning.

The humor was lost on some residents, however. After noticing one package on the steps of a church, a concerned citizen reported the "suspicious package" to local authorities, who called in the county's hazardous materials unit and the bomb squad.

Upon further inspection, no materials designed to harm people, mushrooms to increase a person's size, or flowers that bestow the ability to project bouncing fireballs were found inside the boxes. The packages were empty.

Ravenna Police Chief Randall McCoy told the online edition of the Record-Courier that one girl came into the police department with one of her parents and claimed responsibility, saying it was just a joke.

Apparently, the girls got the idea from the Web site Qwantz.com, which gives detailed instructions on how to make the boxes. The Web site intended the posting to inspire art projects, and several subversive artists have submitted photos of their Mario blocks in action across the country.

The girls face possible criminal charges for their actions. While most in the online community think the authority's actions are a tad extreme, McCoy defends the proceedings of his department.

"The potential is always present when dealing with a suspicious package that it could be deadly," McCoy told the Record-Courier. "In today's day and age, you just cannot do this kind of stuff."

A posting on Quantz.com responds to the incident in Ravenna. "Not everyone has the same cultural context and not everyone is relaxed about public spaces. [The idea of the project] is to bring a smile to people's faces, to get them to connect with their neighbors, to bring color into an otherwise grey urban landscape. [We] are deeply sorry that things are not working out in Ravenna."

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot

Posted Apr 3, 2006 3:21 pm PT"

Anyone who wants to prosecute underage girls for a prank like this is a fucking idiot! There, I said it! :lol: HOW many terrorists are going to leave a bomb with a GODDAMN QUESTION MARK blatantly on it?! "A golden box... with a question mark on it... golden box... gold... streets of gold... Heaven... question mark... perpetual VIRGINS! GOOD ALLAH! 'TIS A HOMICIDE BOMBER'S BOMB! Goddamn it, Muhammad!" I mean, with those kinds of clues, you might as well suspect ? And The Mysterians of making an unexpected, unintended come back!

Jesus, it's been 21 years since Super Mario Brothers was unleashed upon the world! Every kid since then has been exposed to it. Thus, by proxy, those kids who are now adults know what it is! It's not like it's a mystery WHAT they mean... WHY someone would do it, yes, I can see asking that question. Because, it is kind of dumb. Especially for an April Fool's Day prank. I mean, WHO are you intending to fool? Although they never intended to trick anyone, those two sure made a fool out of some tight assed people who revealed their sheer stupidity overreacting to this. =))

Oh, man, check THIS one out...

Anyone who wants to prosecute underage girls for a prank like this is a fucking idiot!

I can only concur. I can think lots better things to do with teenaged girls than putting them in jail. Take them to a museum or a library or an art gallery. You know, broaden their horizons. (Nope, didn't work. This one'll get me in trouble. B) )

But this the line that gets me:

"The potential is always present when dealing with a suspicious package that it could be deadly," McCoy told the Record-Courier. "In today's day and age, you just cannot do this kind of stuff."

You almost here the hysterical excitment in this nimrods voice. "A case! This could be a real case!!! No more complaints about the neighbor's dog shitting in Old Man MacCready's front yard. No more pocket knives at the junior high! Yee-haw! It'll almost be like I'm a real cop."

This guy sounds like one of the idiot Sheriffs in a Spenser novel. In other words, out of fiction.

Can any one be this stupid? If I were a terrorist, would I put a bomb in a box shaped like Super Fucking Mario brothers?!

No, I hide the sucker underneath the stands at the next high school sporting event. Then I might, you, know cause some casualties.

This, however, is another example of how keeping your mouth shut is not seldom the wisest policy.

Like the old Depeche Mode song, "Policy of Truth."

Edited by Pain_Man

:whatever: Once again those in authority show themselves to be complete and utter Buttfucks !!

I could be wrong, but I don't think buttfuckers ( anal.gif) have monopoly on, if you'll forgive the pun, the assholery. :P

Edited by Pain_Man

The thing that gets me is, as has been pointed out, why would any terrorist BLATANTLY flag something they want to hide with a ? on it?! TOO easily draws attention! That would have been like one of the terrorists who flew into the targets on 9-11 wearing a golden T-shirt with a ? on it. Eh, actually, he probably WOULD have passed through unaccosted, anyway! :rolleyes:

Eh, actually, he probably WOULD have passed through unaccosted, anyway! :rolleyes:

DB, Think about that congresswoman who took a swing at security at the Capitol (if I'm not mistaken)! Unfortunately, our security/intelligence (or lack thereof) has made us look like a bunch of fools, especially with that idiot Bush running things! I'll be glad when 2008 comes around and we can vote another "idiot" into Office! By the way, I remember reading the article about the prank...quite sad.

It is a case of do as I say, not as I do. You think the people who mandiated the laws that everyone get stopped, delayed, checked, double checked, rechecked, rectally probed, have their phone calls monitored, their library records perodically scanned, their movie rentals cross checked, etc. would make sure they WEREN'T exempt from the same interference? WRONG! The people on Capitol Hill, etc. don't get searched. Just waltzed right in as long as they're wearing "da button," nothing that could be easily forged or anything! :rolleyes: What would you expect? These people don't even READ the laws they pass or fail! They merely go with ad hoc public opinion based on what they're told is in a bill.

The thing that gets me is, as has been pointed out, why would any terrorist BLATANTLY flag something they want to hide with a ? on it?! TOO easily draws attention! That would have been like one of the terrorists who flew into the targets on 9-11 wearing a golden T-shirt with a ? on it. Eh, actually, he probably WOULD have passed through unaccosted, anyway! :rolleyes:

THAT day, they could have strapped machetes to their legs and no one at Logan Intl would have noticed.

Eh, actually, he probably WOULD have passed through unaccosted, anyway! :rolleyes:

DB, Think about that congresswoman who took a swing at security at the Capitol (if I'm not mistaken)! Unfortunately, our security/intelligence (or lack thereof) has made us look like a bunch of fools, especially with that idiot Bush running things! I'll be glad when 2008 comes around and we can vote another "idiot" into Office! By the way, I remember reading the article about the prank...quite sad.

"Idiot Bush"?

Pardon me, but how many terrorist attacks have there been since the one planned during the administration of the former Perjurer-in-Chief?

How many? Let's hear it...let's hear it...

ZERO. (!)

That "idiot's" the reason we're fighting terrorist 7,000 miles from here instead of in our own cities.

That "idiot's" the reason the Reagan Economy's back on track.

That "idiot's" the reason the Treasury's had the biggest surge in cap gains receipts since Reagan.

That "idiot's" the reason that 75% of the Al-Qaeda leadership is dead or imprisoned.

That "idiot's" the reason that for every GI killed in a cowardly, road-side ambush 10, 20, 100 terrorists are killed by our guys. (Islamofacists don't fight like men, can you imagine having less intestinal fortitude than a Waffen-SS trooper? That's an Islamofacist.) I've talked to the guys who've served over there. We're kicked so much terrorist ass its not even funny--all this despite the Herculean effort of the Left-Liberal media to cover up the real facts. The so-called "main-stream" press is nothing more than the propaganda arm of the DNC.

Unlike under that "idiot's" criminal predecessor, we are feared again.

Argument won. Case closed.

I don't know you so I don't pretend to understand you or your motives. Thus my rant isn't directed at you, but your words. It's not personal.

I'm just sick to death of baseless criticism of a president who's doing an excellent job.

I've been paying attention to politics since the '80 election (since I was 9). And I've never seen a more concerted, organized, continuous attack on a president or any political figure. The attacks on Reagan seem amateurish by comparison.

Clinton committed some of the grossest crimes (and I'm not talking cigars here) ever perpetrated by a President and he gets a pass from the Left-Liberal media. With this president the media actually manufactured lies (and still is!) to try and defeat his re-election bid.

Given all this, it's no wonder we conservatives are angry and frustrated as lie after lie after lie is peddled--with sickening pseudo-sincerity--about this man and his administration.

Thank God there are now two medias in this country. The Left-Liberal and the one that tells the truth.

Edited by Pain_Man

Have we only got until 2008 until db seizes power and dominates the world ??? :o

I appreciate your vote of confidence in me. And, rest assured, I will try to justify your future faith in me by doing the best I can for myself. :D

@Pain_Man,

I read your entire post. While I don't agree with everything you said, I do respect your opinion. Frankly, I'm not saying I don't approve of anything Bush has done. I think that he's done some good things for this country. All I'm saying is that the guy isn't all that bright. You can say what you want to say about Clinton, but honestly speaking, Clinton was extremely intelligent.

Edited by Flawless115

I read your entire post. While I don't agree with everything you said, I do respect your opinion. Frankly, I'm not saying I don't approve of anything Bush has done. I think that he's done some good things for this country. All I'm saying is that the guy isn't all that bright. You can say what you want to say about Clinton, but honestly speaking, Clinton was extremely intelligent.

if he :buba: was that smart he would have paid for her dry cleaning =))=))=))

Well then you can julli-fuck.gif , it's time for me to reveal my hidden identity, julli-super.gif I will crush you and your insignificant army of two julli-supermand.gif with my super powers.... You will be DESTROYED !!!!! julli-stylte.gif

HA! Even now you see how indestructible I am! You attempted to destroy me, yet, I still survived! Only suffered a hobble, a black eye, a case of mumps, apparently, and an equally apparently sealed anal cavity! You are one WEIRD hero... =))

:worthy: and will you spare my life ? :worthy:

You beg the wrong person.

Who do you think is the real power behind minty's plot? Do you really think he could conquer Earth without my starfleet? Without my legions armed with the latest BFGs?

He'll merely be the ornament of power. The true ruler will be....ME!!!!! (!)

God Emperor of the Known Universe! (Well, as soon as Minter outlives his usefulness, that is. All the necessary, ah, adjustments will be blamed on him and he'll be banished to work as a cashier at Wal-Mart. The people will be pleased.

And I will rule in name and in fact!!!!! julli-weight_lift.gif

Edited by Pain_Man

I already sided with the Venusians. No greater power. End of argument. :D

Hah! The Venusians were poufters. Three Anti-Matter BFBs and they're history. My starfleet reigns supreme. And you have already outlived your usefulness even before the Conquest.

You'll soon see how I punish disloyalty julli-agresiv2.gif...no matter how far you flee or to what shithole system on the Outer Rim, you are DOOMED. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Of course, if you surrender Salma Hayek I might let you off with just solitary with Jar Jar Binks for eternity. Decide, as you cower :'( in fear. Otherwise, you'll be julli-hunter.gif from the sky in that 20 yr old junker the Venusians sold you for five times the market price.

Edited by Pain_Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.