Best Media Player

greyowl

I uncheck the Matroska source filter and the 4 H264/VC1 transform filters.

CoreAVC is set as the preferred filter in its own settings and I also turn on the tray icons - so I can easily see when it's being used/not being used.

AC3 Filter just gets inserted in the graph regardless - but that too depends on its own settings.

LUK,

Thank you for the added information.

I am considering using CoreAVC, but in the installation process, it says it requires a "NVIDIA CUDA enabled card and NVIDIA video drivers". My Dell labtop has a "Mobility Radeon 9000" video. So, does this mean that CoreAVC will not work on my laptop?

Thanks for the help.

You probably won't need any of those additional filters or codecs as MPC-HC should be able to play most any video or audio format you throw at it all by itself..... it will use it's own internal filters in preference to any others installed on your system anyway unless you disable them in the options.

ffdshow duplicates most of MPC-HC's internal filters so you can skip that for starters unless you have a specific reason, like I said above it's just my personal preference (and habit I guess).

QT Lite replaces Quicktime (without the background processes and additional stuff), if you have Quicktime already and happy with it then that's another you can skip.

I would recommend Haali Media Splitter though, just remember that if you decide to install it then in MPC-HC options under Internal Filters you should disable the Matroska, MP4/MOV, MPEG PS/TS/PVA source filters so Haali will be used instead. Just a note, some people report problems with the shell extension enabled (for thumbnail previews) so I personally deselect it when installing Haali Media Splitter.

Then again if you never intend playing mkv, mp4 or ts files you can probably skip it also... you never really stated why you want another media player.

Jeff_nz,

I installed Haali Media Splitter and noticed that it provides support for AVI as well. You did not mention AVI as one of the items to disable in MPC-HC. So, do you prefer the filters in MPC-HC for the AVI files?

Thanks again.

Basically MPC-HC's internal avi splitter works just fine, as does Windows own built-in one, so you have two choices already. AVI support is not selected during a default install of Haali Media Splitter (probably because it's redundant) and I'm not aware of any reason to change that.

Edited by jeff_nz

I doubt CoreAVC *only* works on Nvidia cards and support for acceleration via CUDA is a new feature so that's definitely not a requirement at all.

Are you sure it doesn't just say that the special CUDA acceleration requires a card supporting CUDA(which must be Nvidia as it's their tech) and drivers that support it too (make the API available for apps to use) ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.