Pad BIN/CUE images of Audio CDs to standardize to zero read offset

Martin N

Hello;

I used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to extract tracks from ImgBurn BIN/CUE images of Audio CDs mounted with DAEMON Tools. If I set the read offset in EAC to the value used on the source disc drive (i.e. drive used to create the image), the resulting tracks have the same CRC32 as those extracted directly from the disc, and verified by AccurateRip. The problem is that one needs to remember on which drive the BIN/CUE image was created. It would be nice to have an option to input the read offset into ImgBurn, which would produce BIN/CUE images padded with zeroes (at the start or at the end, depending on the direction of the read offset) to a standard zero read offset. The is the way EAC does it for drives unable to read into lead-in and lead-out segments anyway!

BTW, the last track extracted using EAC from an Audio CD disc with four disc drives (read offset: -24, +6, +48, +102) resulted in files with different CRC32 (due to different amount of padding required) but still produced the same AccurateRip checksum. The algorithm must somehow ignore the padded portion of the file...

Thanks!

Martin

Why are you reripping the disc if you already have the files ("images of Audio CDs mounted with DAEMON Tools")?

Mainly to confirm that ImgBurn has created a good image (AccurateRip), considering that it does not use C2 error detection. Also, I want to be able to rip tracks accurately from the image, should the need arise.

Thanks for the response!

Edited by Martin N

Well, if you really care about the quality of the songs, there's no alternative than to use EAC to rip your songs and use either EAC or Burrrn to burn your songs with proper offset correction.

Imgburn is not a replacement to EAC, and I don't think it intends to be.

I am not as much interested in burning the images back onto a physical medium, as I am in getting reasonable electronic backups of the originals. EAC is great for extracting audio data but it does not do images of combination discs, i.e. discs with audio and data sessions included. I like the way ImgBurn keeps the original binary (BIN), CD-TEXT (CDT), and TOC/pre-track gap (CUE) information separately. I have compared many of my Audio CD images created by ImgBurn to EAC output, and I have yet to find an error (per AccurateRip and CRC32) - most of my CDs are in a good condition. I accept the lack of C2 error detection as a shortcoming of ImgBurn, and understand if it is not a high priority in its development.

What I suggested above involves a simple shift in the BIN sequence (and padding with zeroes the gap at the start or the end) to compensate for the read offset, so that it more accurately represents the original (and obviates the need to memorize the read offset for each image).

Yes, when ripping from an image. As it is now, ImgBurn reads a disc with the offset determined by the drive make and model. It then generates the disc image, which carries the same read offset. Then, if I want to make an accurate track from the image, I have to set EAC to the same read offset as the image. Considering that several different drives may be used to create images, this may be problem. What I am suggesting is that all CD-AD images be normalized (by padding with "silence" as per EAC method) to read offset of zero. Then all tracks from any image (independent of the source drive) could be accurately ripped with EAC set to the same read offset, i.e. zero.

Thanks!

Edited by Martin N

• 3 weeks later...

I think this thread could be merged with http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5974

I have no problem to merge this thread with another relevant topic (even if it appears to be dead :( ). BTW, if padding BIN files is not very likely to happen, would it at least be possible to generate CUE files containing the model/type of the source CD/DVD drive? The offset for the respective BIN should be then easy to determine if needed...

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.