Burning to DVD+RW requires format

kayl

Well, tried it again with the firmware update, and it still didn't work.

I think it is a bug with the program (which is why I posted here in the first place). I think it is not explicitly erasing the disc before writing the image, because the verify errors start at sector 0 (zero). Like I said in an earlier post, if I manually erase the disc first, close down ImgBurn, then start ImgBurn and burn an image, it burns and verifies the image with no errors.

[edit] Maybe you could add an option to explicitly 'Quick erase' the DVD+RW before writing the image.[/edit]

[edit] Forgot to mention my disc is a MKM-A01- something, something, something...[/edit]

[edit] The very first line of my first post stated that it was DVD+RW, but you already knew that, didn't you?[/edit]

Edited by JasonFriday13

If it's a DVD+RW, you don't erase them. The DVD+RW technology allows for direct overwrite once the media has been formatted.

Assuming you're doing a 'quick' erase, all that does is write a bunch of zeros to the first few sectors.

Writing an image does exactly the same thing - only it writes real data and to more sectors.

Sorry, I forgot to add that I have added extra comments to the post above, which is why I haven't posted back.

From earlier post: Maybe you could add an option to explicitly 'Quick erase' the DVD+RW before writing the image?

Like I said in another post, a quick erase is just writing zeroes to the first X (800 I think) sectors. A real burn still writes to those 800 sectors (and more) only it uses real data.

As such, there is NO logical reason why this should ever be necessary.

I cannot/will not add features to workaround a glitch on a particular system I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...

I was about to come ask why imgburn was insisting on formatting my DVD+RW when I'd never had to do it before....

...well it turns out the program I had been using before (growisofs) does formatting on the fly and never does a complete format. So problem solved :)

Anyway.. Thanks for a great program for burning (Vista) on Vista! If I continue to use it (ImgBurn or Vista ;) ) I'll be sure to make a donation.

Thanks you sexy guys!

• 1 year later...

I use Nec and Optiarc drives (with recommended media) and I'm having this +RW 'issue' so I'll continue on this thread instead of a new one. To sum it up, full format (FF) is necessary for a new disc but when another application is used afterwards on that disc (say Nero or AShampoo, tried both), the +10min. ImgBurn FF is pretty much annulled/rendered useless and ImgBurn wants to FF it again. So I untick "Prefer properly formatted +RW". Am I correct on this?

The question remains however, why is a FF format necessary? The other applications, will happily burn a brand new (unformatted?) +RW without asking for a FF, and the discs work fine. Could these discs present quality issues later? And even if I FF them with ImgBurn, most other programs will reset the disc's format status... But maybe, when ImgBurn writes all the data on the disc with FF, it does make it more reliable for future use? And is it important to do it on the disc's first usage?

Confusing! :spider:

Correct, you at least have to issue the 'format' command before you can write anything to a brand new disc.

I choose to let the format complete so the disc registers that fact in it's status. Some other programs don't care - each to their own and all that.

I like my discs to remain in the properly formatted status - 'Formatted: Yes' rather than left in limbo at 'Formatted: No (Started)'.

I have no issues with the format status getting mucked up because ImgBurn is used for everything I do - and it doesn't mess with it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.