No matter how much they overcomplicate "DRM"

Pain_Man

...work around, as the article points out. Doesn't matter if it becomes "supremely difficult" to free music or other "content" from the shackles of Rights Destruction Technology (euphemistically called "DRM" or "copy protection").

excerpt from cdfreak's analysis:

I cannot see any hacker trying to get around DRM by intercepting the physical patch between a decryption chip and the CPU, particularly for audio where a good sound card would be much more straight forward for capturing the analogue audio fed out from the PC or portable audio device, not to mention being straight forward enough for anyone with the ability to record audio to perform. That is, anyone with HANDS! :thumbup:

No one's going around the mountain to piss next door trying to tap into this "integration." Somebody'll figure out a software work-around or we'll just be running out patch cables to recording devices. Sure, we'll lose a little sound quality (I have especially acute hearing so I'll probably notice more than the average person; the average person will barely notice it. It just throws us back to the day of recording from LPs to cassettes. The minor loss of quality didn't bother us then. As the article says, if its the only way to preserve our rights, we'll just live with it again, as we did in the 80s).

IBM unveils integrated cpu encryption for tight security/drm

Original Wired article....

Not quoted in cdfreaks article...

Bruce Schneier, founder of Counterpane Internet Security, said more fully integrating encryption and processing would likely improve a machine's performance. But he said it was "just stupid" to claim that hackers would otherwise target the transmission between a computer processor and a separate encryption engine.

Far more likely, he said, is for someone to try to steal data when it was unencrypted ? such as when it appeared in plain text on a computer screen.

"Security is a chain and it's as strong as its weakest link," he said. "They're talking about taking a very strong link and making it a little bit stronger, at best. Maybe."

Edited by Pain_Man

NO ONE found this sufficiently interesting to comment upon? Or are we all just so oversatured with DRM bullshit, we're numb to it?

Either that, or I'm getting boring in my old age. :(

Edited by Pain_Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.