Removing from Windows Context Menus

ItsNannerpuss

I'm going to try and do some tweaking in that department.

It's also worth noting that if you have options enabled for some files, other may also become associated with - without you specifically enabling them. That's just the way windows works I'm afraid.

You don?t remove the filetype - you edit it. eg..

Open Tools/Filetypes

Highlight filetype (eg ISO image) and hit RESTORE

Click ADVANCED

Highlight ?Burn With ImgBurn" in the ACTIONS window

Select DELETE

Finished.

I was referring to changing the File Type from within IB; I know it can be changed natively within Windows. This may be the first app I've used in a long time that would force me to do so. Every other application on my PC right now that alters the context menus has decent control for turning them on/off within the application; I had expected the same from IB.

follow this and you will be able to modify it:

open My documents >> tools >> folder options >> the tab "files type" >> look for the iso extension (for exemple, u gotta do it for each manually) then highlight it and click advanced, you will see the ImgBurn thing in the list there, highlight it and click delete... gone =)

Good luck,

Jni

Edited by jni

I was referring to changing the File Type from within IB; I know it can be changed natively within Windows.

Something which you didn?t clarify. The question perhaps could have been, ?Is there a setting within ImgBurn that can add/remove "Burn using ImgBurn" to context menus? I know it can be changed natively within Windows.?

First:- A filetype isn?t a context menu which is what you originally asked about. ImgBurn can?t change a filetype. All it can do is associate with it, hence, my original post.

Every other application on my PC right now that alters the context menus has decent control for turning them on/off within the application; I had expected the same from IB.

Such as? All of us, the author most of all, are willing to help you but do you reckon you can give us some information as none of us enjoy guessing games. What applications? URLs etc? How can anything possibly be ?fixed? if you ask vague questions and give subtle hints about how great other software is without providing examples of it?

How would you fix it? What would you like to see? Ignore the crap above. You have the authors? attention. This is your chance to have something implemented if you can sell it.

BTW, the answer is No. You can?t remove ImgBurn from the context menu from within ImgBurn.

Yes you can remove it, it's in the settings as the File Association stuff.

It used to work perfectly but too many apps set themselves as the default program for the file and that then meant mine wouldn't show up at all.

I then had to take measures to follow the file associations path, linking between that apps that take over control and place the reg entries in the appropriate places.

That then makes it a nightmare to remove them.

Uninstalling the app might fix it as the uninstall program is more aggressive than the builtin file association stuff.

Like I said earlier though, if something else has changed the associations since imgburn was installed, it won't be able to find all of them to remove them - and there's no way I'm gonna make it search the entire registry for left overs!

Oh, when I say uninstall, I mean do that and then install again. This time, on first run of the program, turn off the file association options in the settings. The reg stuff is only added / removed when the program is closed down.

Yeah but that also removes ImgBurns? association with the various filetypes. The way I understood the question was to remove ImgBurn from the context menus within ImgBurn while still maintaining its associations. In that respect (just to be argumentative :P ) it can?t.

Yeah but that also removes ImgBurns? association with the various filetypes. The way I understood the question was to remove ImgBurn from the context menus within ImgBurn while still maintaining its associations. In that respect (just to be argumentative :P ) it can?t.

To be honest, I was confused at first too. I had not used the "double click to open" method on disc images before (just doesn't seem natural I guess!). I've always used context menus instead, so I assumed the new entries were just context menu entries, not "Open With" entries as well.

To clarify: I don't want ImgBurn associated with anything. Now in WinRAR, or WMP, etc, if I remove a file extension/type from the File Associations, it stops being associated. ImgBurn is not doing this; I removed all the "File Associations", but they still seem to be associated, and I can't get my previous apps to take them back (without going into Explorer and deleting the entries). Long story short, I think the "File Associations" should de-associate as well as the associate.

Now in compromise, I would have no problem adding a context menu entry (again, optional), to "Burn using ImgBurn." I have lots of apps that do this, and it's nice because it allows for quick access without forcing the app on the user. Examples that work well: WinRAR, PowerArchiver, 7-zip, UltraEdit, Eraser.

@Lightning UK: I think you already get what I'm asking, this is just to clarify my original post for others. Thanks for looking into this, and thanks for all your work on the project. I sound ungrateful sometimes, but I do appreciate your work.

Edited by Cyber Dog

I have looked into this properly now and I think it's sorted.

It was the redirection of file types that caused the issue.

i.e. in regedit, HKCR\.ISO

The 'default' type might have been set to 'WinRAR' or whatever.

When that happens, my 'Burn using ImgBurn' under .ISO is ignored.

So in a previous version I also made it put one in the 'WinRAR' key. It then became visible again.

When you uncheck the file association boxes, it only removed the keys created under the actual file extension keys - i.e. .ISO, .IMG etc.

It did not remove the redirected ones under the likes of WinRAR.

This is because multiple file extensions could be redirected to the WinRAR key and so removing it for one extension might muck it up for another one that SHOULD be there.

There is no way (that I know of) to only have it visible for the selected file types if ALL the files type are redirected to a single other key - well, not with just using the registry anyway.

I would have to build a dll file that hooks into explorer - i'm pretty sure that's what WinRAR does but it's a bit overkill for my little freeware tool ;)

So anyway, the next version should be much better for you.

As it's just a tiny update, I may do a silent update of the imgburn.com download and you can test it out and see if it's better for you.

• 2 weeks later...
I have looked into this properly now and I think it's sorted.

It was the redirection of file types that caused the issue.

i.e. in regedit, HKCR\.ISO

The 'default' type might have been set to 'WinRAR' or whatever.

When that happens, my 'Burn using ImgBurn' under .ISO is ignored.

So in a previous version I also made it put one in the 'WinRAR' key. It then became visible again.

When you uncheck the file association boxes, it only removed the keys created under the actual file extension keys - i.e. .ISO, .IMG etc.

It did not remove the redirected ones under the likes of WinRAR.

This is because multiple file extensions could be redirected to the WinRAR key and so removing it for one extension might muck it up for another one that SHOULD be there.

There is no way (that I know of) to only have it visible for the selected file types if ALL the files type are redirected to a single other key - well, not with just using the registry anyway.

I would have to build a dll file that hooks into explorer - i'm pretty sure that's what WinRAR does but it's a bit overkill for my little freeware tool ;)

So anyway, the next version should be much better for you.

As it's just a tiny update, I may do a silent update of the imgburn.com download and you can test it out and see if it's better for you.

Thanks for looking into it! If you need me to do any testing let me know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.