Burning Compressed Images

Ultima

I know, hard drive storage is cheap, but... with processors being as powerful as they're getting, why not support burning images that are stored inside .zip files or such?

Where I work, Imgburn is used primarily to image and burn OS recovery media. Some of the disk images that we store can be compressed quite well by simple .zip or .7z. However, if we compress them, we would have to expand them every time we wanted to burn one, so why can't Imgburn on-the-fly burn a compressed image?

If an archive is damaged? How about that?

I suspect the same thing would happen as if the image file itself was damaged.

Also, it's a smaller file if it's compressed, meaning that it occupies less sectors of disk space, which in turn means the chances of a particular sector flaking out and ruining one of my images is lessened by ((uncompressed size of image)-(size of compressed image))/(uncompressed size of image)%. This means that by compressing my disk images, I would be increasing reliability!

Seriously though, I'd expect both a damaged archive to not work. I would also expect a damaged image file to not work either, so it's a non-issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I complicated things more, just to show that the idea is not quite so good.

Good image + good compression + good (realtime) decompression + good burn & verify OK, (not calculating the media) = the IDEAL RESULT what is wished,

but if just one of the variables fail, the result will be coaster.

Now, try to find the culprit for the bad result.

It's just time and nerves consuming...

Let's keep it simple...

Assume that media is cheap and plentiful. Nowadays, it is.

A simple dialog (toggle-able in preferences) could suffice as a warning. "ImgBurn does not recommend real time decompression of compressed images. Would you like to proceed anyway?"

It's simple and to the point. Plus, if you don't want to burn compressed images, nobody would be forcing you to. I merely added it as a suggestion as it is something that I would honestly like to see in ImgBurn.

ImgBurn is a burning tool, not decompressor. For decompressing it will have to call another program to do the job by a plugin or something. I don't think LUK will gonna do that.

We just arguing in comments but LUK said numerous times that ImgBurn is a burning tool and not gonna change the purpose of the tool to suit everybody's like. He just want, like most of us, a simple and reliable burning tool not a 100 function "Swiss Knife" tool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.