Problems encountered using ImgBurn

thghgv

I have been using ImgBurn for a few months and have noticed some things due to its usage...

1. When using IB for DL projects I have rarely been able to get the layer break to happen

correctly. My previous methods using DVDrebuilder with MKISOFS writing the images to HD

or simply using an ISO tool like Magic ISO to create the image seems to hold true to the

pre-established layer break. It appears that when IB "prepares" an image it does its

own calculations as to the how, what, & where pertaining to layer break without regard to

pre-established specs.

2. When using IB in conjunction with DVDrebuilder Pro on DL projects it appears that DVDRrebuilder

will arbitrarily use IB for writing the ISO image (instead of MKISOFS) and there is no tweak

(that I have been able to find anyway) to make rebuilder NOT use IB for ISO imaging. Reason for

this being that IB will invariably hang when being used in the DVDrebuilder process for

writing the image to HD. I should point out that I have seen this happen consistently with Rebuilder

in batch mode and in "single job" mode. The Rebuilder process hangs after calling IB to write the

image to hard disk. The "hang" occurs invariably ~33% thru IB's "preparing image" phaze. No

discernible errors have been logged that point to a cause.

If there is something im missing here please illuminate, but since my previous methods were

yielding near perfect results I see no reason to continue using IB. I would like to be able to

leave it on the system for occasional use but since REbuilder now has a "auto-sense" for it being

installed and there not being any way to DIS-able Rebuilders' use of IB for image writing I have

no choice but to un-install IB altogether.

Is there something Im missing here?

Please advise...

here is a log snippet from a typical hung session wherein I had to manually shutdown the

whole rebuilder/IB process due to a hung IB image write.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 - Log

; Friday, 18 December 2009, 20:08:12

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 20:00:49 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 20:00:49 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 20:00:49 Total Physical Memory: 2,881,508 KB - Available: 2,300,672 KB

W 20:00:49 SPTD can have a detrimental effect on drive performance.

I 20:00:49 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:00:49 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:00:50 Found 2 DVD±RWs!

I 20:00:50 Operation Started!

I 20:00:50 Building Image Tree...

I 20:00:50 Checking Directory Depth...

I 20:00:50 Calculating Totals...

I 20:00:50 Preparing Image...

E 20:08:11 Operation Aborted! - Duration: 00:07:21

I 20:08:11 Close Request Acknowledged

I 20:08:11 Closing Down...

I 20:08:12 Shutting down SPTI...

I 20:08:12 ImgBurn closed!

What does the actual progress window say? It should tell you the current task.

Assuming you are referring to IB? The window that IB hangs in is the one that is created when it

"prepares image". The exact verbiage is of the last entry is "preparing image", with IB progress

bar stuck at 33% complete for the image write phase. There is more than one IB window generated

as it is being called from Rebuilder.

Yes, I'm talking about IB. This is the IB support forum after all :)

No, there should be an actual box on the screen (NOT the log window) that says current task, current folder... something like that anyway.

Maybe just a screenshot of the whole thing would be easier.

Your wish is granted. see attached. The upper right progress bar window is immovable.

post-31869-126126039951.jpg

Ok so just pick your layer break position from the list and then it'll continue.

Well, that's kind of the problem. IB, pretty much every time, messes up layer breaks (they arent exactly where I have

placed them when I author the files) from pre-determined specs because it relys on user input to make the choice. This

makes the breaks NOT smooth like when previewed in authoring. This makes also makes the build process NO longer "batch"

(i.e. automated). I need layer breaks done correctly and not have to intervene every time IB comes to a layer break decision

so that the automated process is carried thru to completion without intervention. When running IB standalone I ALWAYS

choose the "excellent" or "best" (who wouldn't) settings, but I take some time and deliberation when choosing the positions

for breaks in authoring only to have IB ignore them and sort of do it's own thing so to speak which usually isn't proper.

Is there a way to get IB to use the pre-determined layer break data from the original rendered files like decrypter/

MKISOFS does, (decryptor or MKISOFS doesn't ask for layer breaks they are just done and 99% of the time done, not to offend,

better than Imgburn), or just have IB AUTOMATICALLY choose the BEST break available, or better yet, use the predetermined

layer break and not hang there waiting for input? If not, is there a tweak for IB (or possibly rebuilder) to simply

have IB opt OUT of the process and return the Image write task BACK to MKISOFS??

Is there no other way to opt IB OUT of the Rebuilder process other than un-installing it from the system? I'd like to be able

to keep IB around for stand alone, NON Dual Layer projects but...

There's nothing in IFO/VOB/BUP files to say (100% certain) 'this is where I want the layer break'.

You can take a best guess based on flags in the IFO (which is becoming harder and harder to do as this same 'SPLIP' flag is used for other things) but the layer break (LB) is a physical thing on the media and therefore you can only get exact LB information from an actual disc (or a descriptor file of some sort - MDS / DVD file etc).

If you think you've authored your files with the LB already defined, it'll be pretty obvious going from the options IB presents you with. (i.e. you'd pick the blue star in the screenshot above).

You can't really do it 'better' than ImgBurn as it presents you with all the valid choices, just pick one (you should know roughly where to look if you've 'carefully' picked it out during authoring) and be done with it. If by 'decryptor' you meant my old tool (DVD Decrypter) - it was stupid compared to ImgBurn. Not only that, it could only burn image files.

So is there a way to get IB, when being used in batch mode with REbuilder, to just shut-up and pick the best LB and go on its merry?

It totally screws up the whole "BATCH" concept if one has to baby-sit IB by having to pick a LB, by hand, for each item in the DVD-RB pro

job list.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.