Why does ImgBurn need an extra "full erase" step and other burn software not?

pstein

Assume I have a DVD+RW with some (old) stuff on it.

Then I want to overwrite the DVD+RW with some new files.

When I start the burn process in ImgBurn then at first the user is informed that the old stuff has to be erased.

And yes, there is a big, big erase phase prior to burning the really new files.

Why does ImgBurn need such an additional time consuming "erase" step?

Due to this unnecessary operation the burn process takes twice as much time as other programs

Other burning programs like Nero or CDburnerXP just overwrite the existing data.

Thats it.

Can ImgBurn not just overwrite the content table entries?

Maybe ImgBurn could offer the user an additional "full erase". But the default should be "quick erase"

Peter

Assume I have a DVD+RW with some (old) stuff on it.

Then I want to overwrite the DVD+RW with some new files.

When I start the burn process in ImgBurn then at first the user is informed that the old stuff has to be erased.

And yes, there is a big, big erase phase prior to burning the really new files.

Why does ImgBurn need such an additional time consuming "erase" step?

Due to this unnecessary operation the burn process takes twice as much time as other programs

Other burning programs like Nero or CDburnerXP just overwrite the existing data.

Thats it.

Can ImgBurn not just overwrite the content table entries?

Maybe ImgBurn could offer the user an additional "full erase". But the default should be "quick erase"

Peter

ImgBurn by default prefers properly formatted DVD+RW discs (can be turned off in options). Other software, CDBurnerXP included, does not. If you use a disc that has been previously used by CDBurnerXP, then ImgBurn will offer you to properly format it. After it has been properly formatted, it won't require formatting again, and ImgBurn will just overwrite the data on disc, just as other programs do.

If other programs left the disc in a properly formatted state too, this wouldn't ever be an issue... but they simple fact is that they don't.

It all comes down to one line that's written in the disc info box on the right - 'Formatted: Yes/No/No (Started)/No (In Progress)'.

Unless it says 'Formatted: Yes', it hasn't been completed properly and I make ImgBurn default to wanting/making it that way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.