new and confused cannot write medium

justin

I just got a computer that can burn dvds and of course i've been trying to do so. So far I keep getting to the same spot and then the log says the following..... can anyone please help.

I 00:57:04 ImgBurn Version 1.3.0.0 started!

I 00:57:04 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 00:57:04 Initialising SPTI...

I 00:57:04 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 00:57:04 Found 1 DVD?RW!

I 00:57:46 Operation Started!

I 00:57:46 Source File: C:\PROGRAM FILES\IMGBURN\THE_MATRIX_16X9LB_N_AMERICA.ISO

I 00:57:46 Source File Sectors: 2,285,886 (MODE1/2048)

I 00:57:46 Source File Size: 4,681,494,528 bytes

I 00:57:46 Source File Volume Identifier: THE_MATRIX_16X9LB_N_AMERICA

I 00:57:46 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink

I 00:57:47 Source File UDF Revision: 1.02

I 00:57:47 Destination Device: [1:0:0] SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A UDS1 (D:) (ATA)

I 00:57:47 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AE1) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x)

I 00:57:47 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888

I 00:57:47 Write Mode: DVD

I 00:57:47 Write Type: DAO

I 00:57:47 Write Speed: MAX

I 00:57:47 Link Size: Auto

I 00:57:47 Test Mode: Yes

I 00:57:47 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 00:57:47 Filling Buffer...

I 00:57:48 Writing LeadIn...

I 00:58:30 Writing Image...

W 01:05:27 Failed to Write Sectors 2560 - 2591 - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:05:27 Retrying (1 of 20)...

W 01:05:40 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:05:40 Retrying (2 of 20)...

W 01:05:53 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:05:53 Retrying (3 of 20)...

W 01:06:06 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:06:06 Retrying (4 of 20)...

W 01:06:19 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:06:19 Retrying (5 of 20)...

W 01:06:33 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:06:33 Retrying (6 of 20)...

W 01:06:39 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:06:39 Retrying (7 of 20)...

W 01:06:39 Retrying (8 of 20)...

W 01:06:39 Retrying (9 of 20)...

W 01:06:39 Retrying (10 of 20)...

W 01:06:39 Retrying (11 of 20)...

W 01:06:46 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:06:46 Retrying (12 of 20)...

W 01:06:59 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:06:59 Retrying (13 of 20)...

W 01:07:12 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:07:12 Retrying (14 of 20)...

W 01:07:25 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:07:25 Retrying (15 of 20)...

W 01:07:38 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:07:38 Retrying (16 of 20)...

W 01:07:51 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:07:51 Retrying (17 of 20)...

W 01:07:58 Retry Failed - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

W 01:07:58 Retrying (18 of 20)...

W 01:07:58 Retrying (19 of 20)...

W 01:07:58 Retrying (20 of 20)...

E 01:13:38 Failed to Write Sectors 2560 - 2591 - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

I 01:13:38 Synchronising Cache...

I 01:13:39 Cycling Tray after Test Write...

E 01:13:39 Failed to Write Image!

E 01:13:39 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:15:53

I 01:13:39 Average Write Rate: 5 KB/s (0.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5 KB/s (0.0x)

I 00:57:47 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AE1) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x)

There is your problem right there ! That media ID is just about the worst you can get, unreliable burns, problems with burners and a much shorter shelf life once burnt.

Not sure where you got these from but I would recommend Taiyo Yuden discs (TYG02) or Verbatim discs for your backups. Any decent online retailer will tell you the media ID on the discs they sell, unfortunately the name of the brand of discs means nothing compared to the manufacturer of the dye.

AHHHH, CMC's strike again.

There should be a law against the sale of these things.

there is a law that covers this , its called the "data protection act" in the UK .

basically your not allowed to divulge any data about anyone , and CMC follow this to the rule. once burnt ( IF they burn ) you cant read any data from them ever again !! :lol: PERFECT data protection

AHHHH, CMC's strike again.

There should be a law against the sale of these things.

When you think about it...... you?d wonder how they?ve managed to sell these things for so long despite every DVD forum and media review website knowing that they?re shit. If nothing else, consumer watchdogs like the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) here in Oz should have been all over the importers/distributors for allowing the sale of a product that?s been faulty for years.

They are sold freely here in the UK too - its a shame cos people new to burning seem to end up with them and it causes all sorts of problems.... :(

It?s not a shame or coincidence, it?s indicitive of the so-called ?Information Age? where anyone can buy PCs and hardware and vendors are all too happy to sell the newbies crap. Also, new users are their own worst enemy when it comes to the basics such as media. They won?t buy generic brands of groceries at the supermarket because they think the lower price denotes an inferior quality product. Why then would a person not apply the same logic when buying media?

Hmm... will I spend $20 for 20 Taiyo Yuden media or $20 on CMC, Princo, Longten media in a tub of 50?

50!?

What a bargain! :doh:

When you think about it...... you?d wonder how they?ve managed to sell these things for so long despite every DVD forum and media review website knowing that they?re shit. If nothing else, consumer watchdogs like the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) here in Oz should have been all over the importers/distributors for allowing the sale of a product that?s been faulty for years.

You're dead right, it's enough to put off anyone new to DVD burning forever, simply because they don't believe what they bought is crap, and of course big names using this dye doesn't help, like TDK, it's hard for a newbie to believe he or she bought shit, their argument would be "but it's TDK".

TDK media used to be good back in the 70's and 80's, but like many companies they put profits ahead of quality and now are no longer considered top media for anything. :( Used to buy their cassette tapes all the time and their VHS blanks. Too bad they couldn't have put the quality of those media into their DVD blanks. :/

Edited by kevdriver

its the same here you see Memorex everywhere ,like Best Buy ,Staples ,Circuit City etc ,it has to be the profit margin that drives the sale of this crap and 99% of people dont have a clue to the quality of the media they buy if you said MID they wouldn't know what you're talking about,its mostly name recogniition and Memorex has it from the days of "is it live or is it Memorex " but that was tape but the name was out there

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I tried using some Sony discs with AccuCORE thinking that my computer would support it, and I ended up getting the same message about the medium. :( The media id is SONY08D1. Thanks for any further help....it really is appreciated. :)

TDK media used to be good back in the 70's and 80's, but like many companies they put profits ahead of quality and now are no longer considered top media for anything. :( Used to buy their cassette tapes all the time and their VHS blanks. Too bad they couldn't have put the quality of those media into their DVD blanks. :/

Bloody dead right mate, I use to love TDK, it's only of late that they decided to go down the shitshoot. :angry:

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I tried using some Sony discs with AccuCORE thinking that my computer would support it, and I ended up getting the same message about the medium. :( The media id is SONY08D1. Thanks for any further help....it really is appreciated. :)

Hmm... they should work fine. It could just be a shit firmware in your drive. Try updating your firmware from the link below. If you don?t know how to update your firmware, ASK! We are here to help. :)http://www.cdr.cz/dvd_rekordery/sony/firmw...58A_UYS2WIN.zip

Hmm... they should work fine. It could just be a shit firmware in your drive. Try updating your firmware from the link below. If you don?t know how to update your firmware, ASK! We are here to help. :)http://www.cdr.cz/dvd_rekordery/sony/firmw...58A_UYS2WIN.zip

Okay, I downloaded the firmware.....what's next Shamus? Thanks. :)

Okey dokey. This one looks pretty simple.

Take any CDs/DVDs out of the drive and shut down any programs that are running like your web broswer, email etc etc..

Extract the contents of the zip file and double-click on the exe file and let it do its job. Don?t play around with the mouse, keyboard or whatever.

It should take between 10 and 30 seconds to update and for the best results, reboot your machine once you get the OK that your update has finished.

That?s about it. Just be aware that if you shut the computer down, lose power or otherwise interfere with the firmware updating process (called ?flashing?), you can destroy your drive.

Good luck. :)

okay, i unzipped everything and the only thing to click was the uys2win xflash. i did this and the reply was that there was no matched drive detected, and was only compatible with DWQ58A not the DWQ58A-UDS1.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.