Hey LUK

Jamos

We at Doom9 forums are looking into a experimental layer break format (IE seamless) similar to the way that Superbit DVDs do their layer breaks. What essentially it looks like it does is causes the buffer to remain full enough so when a layer break occurs that there will be no pause or skip as occurs with most layer breaks and most home DVD players.

Rolz the developer of PGCedit has added to a beta of his code to make layer breaks seamless with a option set. Using decrypter to burn with manually adding where the layer break occurs (calculated from the sector id used in PGCedit to create the ISO) I have burned several dual layer disks. They all seem to work flawlessly on playback on my home DVD players with no pauses at the breaks. Using IMGburn or Decrypter for that matter and a regular non seamless break (flag 0 or 2 depending on if it is at the start of a vob or not) I would get a slight pause at the break (as expected from any dual layer).

This is exciting stuff and I have some questions on IMGburn.

First if I use imgburn to burn with the seamless flag on it seems to give a error saying incorrect format. If I set the manual break sector lba (as I do in Decrypter) would it work the same as decrypter and burn anyways and leave the seamless flag set? In any case maybe you could get with Rolz and discuss a way to be able to start imgburn and have it ignore that the break is seamless (like a runtime parameter that would also accept the layer break position)? Now I only have tested several titles due to the expense of dual layer disks, but so far every one burned with the seamless flag set works great in all of my players (no pausing at layer break).

Discussion link:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=110426

To the rest of the forum: This is purely experimental and may produce coasters for some of your home DVD players (mainly older ones I would guess) so be warned.

Thanks,

Jamos

Edited by Jamos

(I Think!) I've already made the changes this requires as a result of someone else bringing it to my attention.

From what I've read, it appears the LB positions is still exactly the same as where it would have been in previous version of PgcEdit (i.e. at the start of a new cell, chosen by the user), but now the flag isn't set (or is set.... one of the two!).

Previously, ImgBurn would have just then set the flag again before doing the actual burn.

I've added a tickbox to the 'potential layerbreak position' dialog box so you can tell it not to update the ifo's.

(I Think!) I've already made the changes this requires as a result of someone else bringing it to my attention.

From what I've read, it appears the LB positions is still exactly the same as where it would have been in previous version of PgcEdit (i.e. at the start of a new cell, chosen by the user), but now the flag isn't set (or is set.... one of the two!).

Previously, ImgBurn would have just then set the flag again before doing the actual burn.

I've added a tickbox to the 'potential layerbreak position' dialog box so you can tell it not to update the ifo's.

Thanks, I will try your program out. But since we are not setting the layer break normally (ie it is seamless) do I need to manually set it in options in imgBurn like I have to do in Decryptor? I would think I would. If so is there a command line parm that I can send Imgburn that will set it at the sector i send the program? Trying to see if we can automate this from PGCedits launch IMGburn functionality.

thanks!

Edited by Jamos

Thanks for your reply, LUK! So, the newest ImgBurn will not change the seamless flag if it is called with CLI args?

@jamos: PgcEdit already passes the LB LBA via the command line. If you launch ImgBurn directly from the PgcEdit GUI, you do not need to specify the LBA manually.

If you launch ImgBurn manually to burn a previously generated ISO image, ImgBurn will not know where the LB is supposed to be. It will search for a suitable cell. Since the cell you have selected in PgcEdit is OK, it will probably be used. However, if, per chance, there are several cells suitable for the LB, ImgBurn will open its own LB selection GUI, from where you should be able to select the same cell.

Erm yeah I think that's right!

If LB is passed via CLI, I don't analyse the IFOs so therefore I don't update them. (This applies to all versions).

In the betas (i.e. POST 1.3.0.0) , I've done the following:

Via the standalone method, you will get a dialog box (all the time now - even if only 1 LB position was found) where you can tell the program not to update IFO files, or to revert to NAV packet/ECC boundary search (which also appears to work on non fussy players and will give 50/50 split between layers most of the time).

Great! That's what I expected!

Have you tested the FF/Rew functions with the LB at any NAV pack method?

Is it a thread somewhere where this method is discussed? I've searched the forum w/o success.

@jamos: PgcEdit already passes the LB LBA via the command line. If you launch ImgBurn directly from the PgcEdit GUI, you do not need to specify the LBA manually.

If you launch ImgBurn manually to burn a previously generated ISO image, ImgBurn will not know where the LB is supposed to be. It will search for a suitable cell. Since the cell you have selected in PgcEdit is OK, it will probably be used. However, if, per chance, there are several cells suitable for the LB, ImgBurn will open its own LB selection GUI, from where you should be able to select the same cell.

Very nice I thought this to be the case. My biggest concern was it resetting the layer break flag look like that is ok too. I will test another burn tonight using seemless break and Imgburn to burn instead of Decrypter.

Edited by Jamos

Tested new Beta 1.07beta2 of PGCedit with seamless breaks enabled then burned with Imgburn (i.e. launched imgburn from PGCedits burn dialog). Playback is seamless and flawless at the layer break (ie no pauses). :w00t: and I even split a cell with vobblanker that had action and dialog and put the layer break at that point!

Edited by Jamos

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.