output to DVD

WyndRyder

I can't find an answer to a probably newbie question. There are 2 options to create a DVD:

1. "Write files/folders to disc" - ok, self-explanatory: writes the exact files/folders to disc that you specify.

2. "Create image file from folders/files" - not ok, seems to do exactly what #1 does - writes the exact files/folders to disc that you specify - I was expecting an actual ISO file to be written.

With the results being the same, I don't get it. Is my expectation of an ISO file on the DVD not realistic? If so, is the only way to accomplish this to write the actual ISO file on disk and then use some other program to write the actual ISO file to DVD with another program (I have NTI CD/DVD Maker which can do this part)?

If you are curious why I want to do this, I am trying to overcome a really weird problem I am having backuping up my MP3 collection (several thousand albums!). Every once in a while I am getting a Windows XP (w/SP3) error 'cyclic redundancy check error' on an MP3 song from time to time. When I check the file at its source on my disk, it is fine. Something is happening when it writes it to DVD and it even appears to be random. I have Lite-On (internal) and Plextor (external) disc drives near the latest revision (will update firmware again) and I only use quality DVD's --- Verbatim, Sony, TDK seem to be the most reliable.

If I use my DriveClone Pro V6 to image the entire MP3 partition, restoration of all files is fine. It's only when I use programs such as ImgBurn or NTI CD/DVD Maker or even Windows XP itself that I encounter the problem. I figured if I could create an actual ISO file on DVD that I could, perhaps, overcome the problem --- full circle to my question here.

Select Create image file from folders/files and in that mode, select the menu option "Output" change it to Image file.

:)

Thanks, but when I do that I have to change the Destination from somewhere on my PC drives to a device and when I select the device I get an error that the "drive is not accessible - Incorrect function". If I change back to Output -> Device, all is well but then it is going to write the actual files instead of the ISO file. AM I doing something else wrong?

This guide should explain the Build mode.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1779

Hmmm. I followed the exact instructions but ended up with the folders/files instead of the actual ISO file containing the folders/files. I must not be understanding something about how this works. What is also curious to me, maybe further pointing to my lack of understanding, is how ImgBurn knows what the name of the ISO file should be - or does it take the ISO volume name as the name of the ISO file?

You can't have it build an ISO file and write the ISO (as an actual file) to the disc.

To do that, you'd effectively need to use Build mode twice.

Once to make the ISO (based on your MP3's or whatever) and then a second time to write the ISO (created in step one, as an actual file) to a disc.

An ISO file is a single container with both the file system info and actual file data inside it. The volume name ImgBurn displays for an ISO (when loaded in 'Write' mode) comes from information within the file systems stored within said ISO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.