DVD players that CAN'T play dual layers?...

dimelives1

Have you ever heard of a DVD player that DOESN'T play dual layered discs?... My current player is just about on the outs, so I've been looking around at potential new ones, and I found this JVC model that I thought I liked and might get: http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028376&pathId=116&page=1

Upon working on a project with ImgBurn, I came across the "...if your player supports it, use seamless layer breaks..." issue. So I thought I'd email JVC to see if this player I was thinking of getting supported seamless layer breaks. They responded this:

Are you referring to seamless playback for Dual-Layer discs? If so, please note that this unit cannot play Dual-Layer video discs.

They later went on to recommend to me one of their $250 recorder/players... Overkill in my eyes, not to mention the huge jump in price.

Have any of you ever heard of a DVD player that DIDN'T play dual layers?... This would mean that any longer movie, any with that little pause when jumping between layers, wouldn't work on said player... This seems VERY odd to me. So what do you all think? Do you think JVC is just blowing steam, and the first player I was looking at would probably work anyway, or are there really players that won't play dual layers?...

Thanks!

I have two players that refuses to play DVD Video +R DL discs and one that only plays those discs. :(

But they are not JVC branded. One day I will get a new nice player, I just need the time to take a bunch of burned discs and go to a shop and spend some time trying to play them and watch the frustration of the seller.

I have two players that refuses to play DVD Video +R DL discs and one that only plays those discs. :(

But they are not JVC branded. One day I will get a new nice player, I just need the time to take a bunch of burned discs and go to a shop and spend some time trying to play them and watch the frustration of the seller.

That's crazy... I don't think I've encountered any player from among the several in my and my family's homes that didn't play dual-layer discs... Have I just been lucky or something? Hmmmm.

EDIT: Wait a second... if my player skips every few minutes or so before resuming play, does that mean it DOESN'T support DVD+R DL's afterall?... Or would it not play AT ALL if it didn't? I'm not sure if my player is unsupportive, or if I just have a bad burn here (thought ImgBurn verified the burn successfully...). Insights?

EDIT #2: And what are more supported? DVD+R DL's or DVD-R DL's?

Edited by dimelives1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.