About File System

snow_xmas

I having used Imgburn a long time, this software is excellent. And I have some suggestion, which will make Imgburn more perfect.

I used to burn CD/DVD with ultraiso before using Imgburn. Imgburn have a strong function with making image file, with some faults making it not perfect. It is widely known that ISO9660 contain 3 profiles. If we didn't need joliet, lowercase filename & volume-name would be necessary. But I can't input lowercase word in ISO9660 volume-name even though Character option is set to "ASCII" and "Level X" has been chosen.

ISO9660 support 8.3 filename format, and long-filename will be cut off to 8.3 format. But if Character option isn't set to "Standard" and there are some non-english words(e.g. Chinese characters) in long-filemane, the result will be wrong, in which primary name is long than 8 bytes and extension is less than 3 bytes although total bytes is 11, which is not supported in DOS mode.

post-32809-126762872878.png

Edited by snow_xmas

I've fixed the issue with the ISO9660 volume label box now. Technically, I already had, but I'm glad I just looked at it again as I found another problem.

If possible, please show me what Explorer says for the names on those discs (mount the ISO in Virtual CloneDrive or something).

If you could also write the names of the problem files as actual text (that I can copy+paste) and tell me the regional settings I need to use to emulate your environment, I'll look into it.

Thank you for replying.

I have make them to a package. The filelist is saved with Unicode so that Chinese characters can be displayed on non-Chinese version of OS if your OS contains a Chinese character font.

And I have some supplement that is about the volume. I understand that lowercase filename or volume can't be supported in DOS mode. But sometimes I want to make an image that is only used in win32 without Joliet FS, so that filenames in the image or disc can be display normally in non-win32 circumstances. So I will set "Characters" to "ASCII" rather than "Standard" or "DOS". By this time, lowercase words is needed.

reply.zip

Edited by snow_xmas

Having now compared my output to other existing applications (including the Windows 7 built in burning feature), I have corrected my code.

It seems the API function I used to convert from unicode to the non-unicode codepage can still leave me with a string using double byte characters. ISO9660 doesn't support that and so even though windows seems to convert the file names back correctly (which is why you can see some of the correct characters), I should actually just be saving the names as '______.zip'. This is because those converted (and yet still remaining) double byte characters should be replaced by '_'. This is how all the other apps (including Windows 7 itself) do it.

So long as you still use Joliet or UDF alongside ISO9660, your file names will come out fine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.