CMOS Checksum Error 3

dbminter

I don't know how old it is, actually. But, the product specification revision history says the first release of it is dated December 2008.

As for my not having ever heard of it, it's probably there. :) I only just recently learned of USB 3.0 and it was first demonstrated back in September 2007.

I doubt a setting for AHCI versus SATA would be the problem as before I got the CMOS checksum error, my drives were booting fine.

Well, swapping the SATA cables didn't actually totally solve my one ImgBurn problem. It happens with Getting Disc Capacity. I read in 4 CD's in a row on this drive before it locked up again trying to get a disc capacity, forcing a reboot.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got my computer fixed. Cost another $50. I asked what they did to get it working and all they said was they changed a BIOS configuration and "reconfigured the SATA cables," whatever that last part means. I asked for clarification on what exactly was done, but, the technician who did the work wasn't in to elaborate. I put it in the shop Friday and got it back Monday, after the store was only open for about 3 hours. So, that's how little time and work it apparently took fix it. Whatever the BIOS configuration change was I've no idea as I went over my BIOS options and discovered nothing amiss. Oh, well, as long as it works now. And, I tested it, which it does. :)

I did discover a little about what "reconfigured SATA cables" means. My Drive 1 has become Drive 2 in Windows and my Drive 2 is now Drive 1. Which means the SATA cables were rearranged in terms of the connections to the mobo.

Now that I think about it, I believe I did reset the BIOS options to the factory default at one point to test that. I remember it required one of the function keys to do it, so, I must have done it. :)

Actually, one thing you may have mentioned that I didn't try was disconnecting ALL the SATA cables. I only tried the two leading to the optical drives. The two for the 2 HD's were never swapped, like they appear to have been by the tech.

Oh, did you try to switch the connections to connect the bad drive to that port where the other drive works?

Her is what I said. What are you understanded and did after you read this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.