Sony Playstation 3 Prices

lfcrule1972

The new PlayStation 3 (PS3) will hit Japanese stores on 11 November, with the US and Europe following less than a week later, Sony has announced.

The console will be available in two versions starting at $499 (394 euros).

_41385217_ps3_203apbody.jpg

Sony revealed the launch details in Los Angeles ahead of this week's games expo E3.

The PS3 is the successor to the best-selling PlayStation 2 and will compete with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii.

The machines make up the next wave of video gaming. The Xbox 360 is already available, while the Wii is due out later this year.

The three console makers are competing for the hearts and minds of gamers in an industry worth more than $25bn annually.

November date

Sony currently dominates in the home, having sold more than 100 million PlayStation 2s, so it has much riding on the new console.

It had originally planned to launch the system in the spring, but was forced to delay due to issues with its new Blu-ray DVD drive.

_41385211_controller203ap.jpg

The new controller has a tilt sensor

"We are not about cutting corners to rush a product to market," said the head of Sony game unit in the US, Kaz Hirai, at the company's pre-E3 news conference.

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does. Today the PlayStation 3 is real."

Gamers have been eagerly waiting to hear more about the system and its price in order to decide whether to wait for the PS3 or shell out on an Xbox 360 now.

The PS3 sports a new processor called Cell which promises significant computing prowess, online connectivity and high definition graphics.

Japanese gamers will be the first to get their hands on the PS3 on 11 November. The console will arrive in the US and Europe on 17 November.

Sony also revealed the price of the console, which comes in two models. The system with a 20GB hard drive will cost $499 in the US, while a model with a 60GB will cost $599.

Exact pricing in the UK is unclear but at current exchange rates the basic model would be around ?330.

Motion sensitive

The system will come with a new controller. Sony has abandoned last year's boomerang-shaped prototype and reverted to a design similar to the current model for the PlayStation 2.

_41385221_heavenlysword203.jpg

The Heavenly Sword demo was impressive

One key difference is the inclusion of a motion sensor in the wireless Bluetooth controller.

In a demonstration, a virtual duck was made to jump out of the water by moving the controller upwards.

Sony is following in the footsteps of Nintendo, which has opted for a one-handed motion sensitive controller for its Wii console.

In order to satisfy gamers wanting a PS3 for Christmas, Sony said it planned to have two million units available at launch worldwide, with a further two million by the end of the year.

When Microsoft launched its Xbox 360 last November, many gamers were left frustrated by supply shortages.

The software giant has since ramped up production and has sold more than three million units, giving it a valuable head start.

Sony will also face competition from Nintendo's new machine, expected out later this year.

In the game

The exact list of games available for the PS3 at launch is still unclear. At its E3 news conference, Sony showed off playable demos of a number of titles.

These included a ninja fighting title called Heavenly Sword, an intense first-person shooter called Resistance: Fall of Man and an interactive monster card game called Eye of Judgement.

Game enthusiasts will get a chance to try out the games on the show floor once E3 opens its doors on Wednesday.

The expo is the annual showcase for the games industry, with more than 400 companies from 90 countries taking part.

_41385211_controller203ap.jpg

The new controller has a tilt sensor

Ah, it will be safe to know that the controller has a tilt sensor so that when unsuspecting Japanese people wearing yellow trot beneath them that they will snap from their moors holding them suspended magically in place and squash them! Good riddance! :angry:

I decided to buy the 360 after all, then i got my son one, ain't played on them much yet as busy setting up his desk and hd tv as you need one with these new consoles as my 15 fst tv is ok for xbox but for 360 ghost recon advanced war fighter i couldn't read the bloody writing, and 50 quid a game, though would hate to see price of ps3 games on blu as they have been touted as 70 quid a pop, cannot see it in reality if it is then its a big mistake.

I have been Sony for consoles since Sega fucked up the Saturn years ago. I will still be looking at a PS3 over a 360....... :)

I lived for Saga Rally on the Saturn :) one of the, if not the best arcade conversions....I can't belive It's been 10 years + since It's release, damn that makes me feel old.

after reading sonys claims carefully in the first post, ive drawn the conclusion that .

yes, PS3 exists,

it IS better than anything youve ever seen before

of coarse you wont be able to buiy one in the Uk in time for xmas ( just like other PS releases) despite

what we said about having 2 million units available for world release launch date.unless you pay a bonafide distributors extortionate costs ( becaus ethye had to airlift 10,000 in from round the world to meet demand

tehres 2 models so when your cheaper one screws up, we can blag you into parting with more cash for the better model .

sorry Sony, but been there and done that before .........THREE TIMES !!!!! , PS1 and PS2 and PSTwo ,

NOT falling for it again ;)

=)) You must be mad :angry: volvo your spilleng has gone to shit !!! ha ha

I am gonna save up for the 60gb HD version (that's the only difference as far as I can see) and then I won't worry about later prettier upgrades. Hell I still have my original chunky V4/5 PS2......

I won't worry about later prettier upgrades. Hell I still have my original chunky V4/5 PS2......

Pussy! :cat: I STILL have my Version 1 PS2! :o

I USED to :angry: still have my ancient Playstation from 1997, with the parallel port in the back. Until UniversalVideoGames.com, the guys I sent it in to repair it, since they'd done repair work for me before, went out of business, back INTO business, and back OUT again, absconding with my system! :swear:

I USED to :angry: still have my ancient Playstation from 1997, with the parallel port in the back. Until UniversalVideoGames.com, the guys I sent it in to repair it, since they'd done repair work for me before, went out of business, back INTO business, and back OUT again, absconding with my system! :swear:

I still have my PS1 and games sitting in the bottom of a wardrobe collecting dust, not sure if it still works though :)

I had the PS with the parallel port in it as well - poor thing died a year or so ago tho :(

Let me guess: it no longer spun up discs? Probably a dead motor assembly. I had already had Sony replace a dead motor assembly for that reason before in 2001. Then, 3 years later, it died again for the same reason: Sony always uses cheap parts. Great designs, but, cheap execution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.