Sony Playstation 3 Prices

lfcrule1972

I'll be saving for the 60GB version also. Talking about PS2's, I paid $450 for my first PS2, 6ish years ago, and remember others paying 500+. So considering what is in the machine, it's not that big an increase. The PS2 is what a 333mhz processor, 32mb video card etc, nothing compared to what the 3 has, for only $1-200 more, now, and the price will drop, significantly eventually. Considering that with the 360 you'll need to buy a seperate HD-DVD player to be a comparible machine, I bet the prices will be nearly identicle. Hell, a bare bones Toshiba HD-DVD player is $600! I bet BluRay players will be just as much, to get a console and a new format player for $6-700 seems not unreasonable. But if it were $200 I'd not complain

I sure as hell won?t be rushing out to buy one. The hardware in the PS3 is alot better but it?s also alot cheaper these days too. The one thing that does disturb me with the PS3 is that it?s rumoured to carry a unique ID number which it sends off to the Sony servers if it?s allowed to connect to the net. (Basically the same as Intel did with the Pentium3 chips many moons ago).

I won?t be buying a 360 anytime soon either. Interestingly, I saw the other day that the ?unhackable? XBox 360 has been hacked with a replacement firmware.

Is anything really "unhackable" these days I wonder ?

I will be trying to get a modded PS3 when they are available so that I can still play my back up PS2 games, therefore I will have to wait for the technology to be available and hopefully during the wait the initial rush will die down and so will the price.....

Is anything really "unhackable" these days I wonder ?

I saw a quote many years ago that said something along the lines of - ?The only true way to make a computer safe is to turn it off, disconnect the leads and then bury it.?

I will be trying to get a modded PS3 when they are available so that I can still play my back up PS2 games, therefore I will have to wait for the technology to be available and hopefully during the wait the initial rush will die down and so will the price.....

I won?t be. The problem is that it?s got to have something that makes me want to buy it and that means either expandability or fantastic games. How good is the PS2 without Gran Turismo? My point is that it?s great if it can display colours in their millions and perform millions of calculations a second or even do cartwheels but without a lot of solid games or the opportunity to improve on it (a la original XBox), it?s useless. You don?t need whizbang graphics, multi-megahertz CPUs or thumping 6.1 Dolby surround to make a game enjoyable. Tetris is a great example of this.

<Dr Sigmund Fraud mode off>

I think that given time the games will be there to inspire you with desire to buy one tho. For instance I am already imagining what Grand Theft Auto 6 will look like on the PS3/X Box 360. I don't think for a second that there will be hundreds of must buy games but there are always a couple..... isn't Halo for the 360 supposed to be one of those games ?

The PS3 will also include a Blu-Ray player as an incentive for extra sales....

Blu-Ray? I?ll pass. At least for the time being. Truly great games on any platform are far and few between. The selection of 30 mediocre games available for the PS3 release don?t float my boat. Even worse is the fact that software houses aren?t being given the specifications they need to produce killer games. How the hell are supposed to be able to create a brilliant game if $ony won?t provide information of the console itself? :doh:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.