How to convert DVD-DL (dvd9) to 2x DVD (dvd5)

TechHarmony

HI,

I have a 7 GB DVD DL data disc (dvd9 I believe) that I would like to copy to two DVD-R 4.3GB (dvd5) disks, as the computer I wish to read this in to has only an older style DVD-ROM/CDRW single layer drive.

I was able to make an ISO image of the 7 GB disk and would like to know before I start, if ImgBurn will see and know how to handle an end-of-disk on the first, and then successfully switch to a second disk if I try to write to single layer DVD-R s (rather than what it probably expects of DL to DL).

This is a data disk, not video, no Video_ts, not compressed data.

Is this possible?

(Or perhaps it is so simple and obvious that it will work that no one wrote about it in the Tutorial Guides nor FAQ ... and I must have missed it when I searched for an answer.)

Thank you.

Edited by TechHarmony

I have a 7 GB DVD DL data disc (dvd9 I believe) that I would like to copy to two DVD-R 4.3GB (dvd5) disks, as the computer I wish to read this in to has only an older style DVD-ROM/CDRW single layer drive.

Are you sure the drive won't read a DL disk? As far as I know, dual layer has been a feature of DVD from day one. It's possible that an old drive has partially failed and won't read DL disks. Or it could be like some Toshiba laptop drives which are fussy about the brands they'll read (Verbatim good, "Maxell" not good). Or there's some file system issue, like the disc is UDF and the computer doesn't support that. Or it's running an ancient Windoze that doesn't understand DVD at all.

Anyway, getting Imgburn to automagically span data across discs ain't gonna happen. The closest you could come to that is to use an archive program (WinRar, WinZip, 7zip) to store the image (or data) in a multipart archive file. Then burn the chunks onto two separate 4.7. A more reasonable solution is to divide up the data so it's in two different folders, then burn those.

Edited by clenchdwarf

just extract the content of your "7 GB DVD DL data disc" to a folder on your desktop

then just take half of it and put it on another folder on your desktop

then burn each folders on a different DVD-R 4.3GB disc

:whistling:

Edited by eSkRo

...Are you sure the drive won't read a DL disk? As far as I know, dual layer has been a feature of DVD from day one...

Anyway, getting Imgburn to automagically span data across discs ain't gonna happen.

Good thoughts. Thx.

I did not know if DL reading was a native part of DVDRom drive original specs. If so, then the drive must be partly failing, as I tried reading my DL source disk in her machine and it just chunked around a while then gave up.

But your second part is the question I wanted answered - so I guess that the 'spanning' feature I was hoping for is unique to either (a) DVD Video format (maybe the UDF spec) or to custom manufacturing of some DL disks.

Second repliers...

Also good, ...

Edited by TechHarmony

just extract the content of your "7 GB DVD DL data disc" to a folder on your desktop

then just take half of it and put it on another folder on your desktop

then burn each folders on a different DVD-R 4.3GB disc

Yes this is a thought. THx.

And years back, it was the way i used to fit 'too much' data onto smaller disks. Remembering back to when the archive programs used to highlight their ability to create 1.4MB, 2.8MB, 100MB or 600MB pieces for fitting onto different external media.

That takes me back. ;)

Edited by TechHarmony

Or mount the image with a virtual driver.

Thanks.

this is the solution that I usually use on my own WinXP machine when I have a CD or DVD sized amount of data that I don't want to write to a disk . I use the Elby/Slysoft VirtualCloneDrive - I like its clone sheep icon :rolleyes: (and did not like the way daemontools worked).

Thank you all.

What I ended up doing in this particular case, was to attach a portable USB DVD optical (Samsung Slim DVD Writer ... I bought because it was at a good price point and had good customer reviews) and reading the DL disk from that which worked fine. I'm glad I just happened to have bought it a few weeks earlier, and had remembered to bring it along.

That may point to my friend's internal drive as not being up to snuff, as clenchdwarf reply suggests.

Anyway,

Thank goodness there are usually several ways to go about most challenges that come up.

(even if the way I wish - to create a two-disk automatic copy of a single DL disk isn't one of them. I guess we don't always get what we want... as Mick said years back... :P:teehee: )

Edited by TechHarmony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.