DVD Sniffing Dogs?!

dbminter

"FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) trains sniffer dogs to locate DVDs"

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7543.cfm

WHAT THE FUCK?! Haven't airports and the mail system got goddamn better things to do like prevent BOMBS from being smuggled into this country instead of bending over and reamed up the ass at the command of the MPAA?! :angry:

I am glad the article does rightly point out the fact that any DVD will be sniffed out: pre-pressed movie, so, I guess that data DVD's, such as company off site backups and Playstation 2 games, will also be detected. Which will increase the false positives a thousand fold! Sniffer dogs are already supposed to find explosives and drugs. If you've them sniffing out DVD's and they find every single pre-pressed movie, video game, someone's home vacation or system backup, what they actually would find in terms of counterfeit DVD's will keep the mail and customs system so busy... this is just BEGGING to be taken advantage of by those who would WANT to. But, who gives a :horse: as long as the MPAA doesn't lose a possible penny, right?

Hey, here's a novel concept, MPAA: if people are too smashed from illegal dope or DEAD FROM A SMUGGLED NUKE to BUY DVD's, how can you make any money? And what use will the DVD sniffing dogs be? They'll probably be too busy sniffing out the scattered DVD pieces from such a detonation to be able to find any of the BODIES! :doh:

"FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) trains sniffer dogs to locate DVDs"

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7543.cfm

WHAT THE FUCK?! Haven't airports and the mail system got goddamn better things to do like prevent BOMBS from being smuggled into this country instead of bending over and reamed up the ass at the command of the MPAA?! :angry:

Never underestimate the idiocy of the KGBPAA (there's a reason why I've nicknamed them thusly).

This quote takes the cake for sheer and total stupidity julli-stupid.gif:

"Lucky and Flo?s immediate success in locating DVDs in transit offers us a new and highly effective means of detection for counterfeit discs." she said.

The dogs didn't find a SINGLE counterfeit disk! All they found were pressed disks! So the claim that the dogs found "counterfeit" DVDs is absurd.

Does anyone serious think Customs is going to open EVERY piece of luggage or parcel that might have a DVD in it? Especially since the ONLY thing the dogs found were pressed discs? I seriously doubt this.

Customs is too busy a.) making sure that the dope they're being bribed to let into the country gets through and b.) as minty points out, looking for explosive, firearms, nerve gas, radioactive materials, et al.*

Everyone in the UK should remember Pan Am 183 over Lockerbie, right? That was blown up by Ahmed Jibril's terrorist group (Libya's Gaddafi was NOT invovled! The Iranians paid Jibril $3M to blow up that plane, as revenge for the accidental shooting down of an Iranian passenger jet over the Persian Gulf by the USS Vincennes, this was proved by Israeli journalist Samuel Katz; in fact the Iranians tried to murder the wife of the Vincennes' captain not more than 20 miles from parents home!).

You know how that plane was taken down? Explosives hidden in a Sony Walkman! It has a pressure detonator. When the plane reached 30,000 ft, it blew a small hole in the fuselage which destroyed the 747.

Customs is not going to bust their balls looking for DVDs.

Besides, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, pressed DVDs and writeable DVDs are made from completely different materials. So if the dogs can only smell pressed DVDs then they may very well be unable to detect burned DVDs. So, gee what're the counterfeiters going to do? They'll simply switch disks.

Further, I've never heard any evidence that there's large scale piracy in the US anyway. I seriously doubt they're going to be smuggled in. It would be far easier to make this disks inside the country.

Finally, copies of personally owned DVDs are perfectly legal in the US. If I take a vacation to Britain and take a few DVDs along for the interminable plain flight and dogs were to find them, there'd be no crime because (according to federal district court judge Susan Illston's decision in the "321" case, copies of DVDs are perfectly legal, only the software which "circumvents" the Rights Destruction Technology is illegal. So, even if they do find your copies of your disks, THERE's NOT A FUCKING THING THEY CAN DO TO YOU!

This is the kind of shit that pissed me off!! julli-rasende.gif

*Sadly, I'm not kidding or exaggerating this. I grew up in San Diego, which is the busiest border crossing on Earth (with Tijuana, Mexico). The Customs Agents were so corrupt it was an open joke. I had a friend whose brother was a MAJOR coke importer. He'd had numerous Customs agents on his payroll. They'd tell him which lane they'd be working, and he or his people would drive trunkloads of coke right through the border and payoff the Customs slugs later.

Even IF this imaginary "counterfeit smuggling" existed--which it only does in the fevered imagination of the KGBPAA--the counterfeiters would do what the dope smugglers already do: pay off the Customs agents. It's an open secret they're for sale. And you're likely to draw a far lighter sentence for helping DVD counterfeiters than for helping dope smugglers.

The whole thing is rank absurdity.

Edited by Pain_Man

• 4 months later...

Here's an interesting update on this:

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-09-27/

Dogs Can Sniff Out Pirated DVDs -- But There's a Hitch

"Efforts by the Motion Picture Association of America to use dogs trained to smell the chemicals used to produce DVDs to nab movie bootleggers at airports have run into a hitch, the Washington Post suggested today (Wednesday). The newspaper said that two Labradors, Lucky and Flo, who were trained in Ireland by a man who also trains dogs to sniff out bombs, made an appearance in Washington Tuesday to demonstrate their talent (after already discovering a cache of bootleg DVDs at Stansted Airport near London). One "potential embarrassment," the Post observed: pirated DVDs smell just like legal ones."

:o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.