image bigger than when I started

freddyyx

HI everyone, this will sound a bit strange but here goes!

After making an iso with either shrink or DVD clone, the finished size is, say about 4500MB. Then I burn with Imgburn and the final,sucessfully burned disc reads at like 4666MB. You can tell from looking at the burned side that its closer to the edge than I thought it should be at the noted iso size.

Ive burned the same iso with both imgburn and clone dvd,and unbelievably, the imgburn one is bigger!

I dont think I'm crazy, so how could this be possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Freddyyx

Edited by freddyyx

You must be reading the size figures from somewhere weird.

The image won't grow when you burn it - except by a max of 15 sectors (so 15 * 2048 bytes) if you burn to DVD+R and the filesize (in sectors) is not a multiple of 16.

First, I'm greatly HONORED, LUK, that you've taken the time to answer me!. I've been a loyal supporter of you for several years, back in the old DVDD days!

I realize the image cant grow,but I had clone set to 4500MB when I used it, and here's how imgburn looked,and where I got the readings from:

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2,278,714

Size: 4,666,806,272 bytes

Time: 506:24:64 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 3.1x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-R

Part Version: 5

I LOVE your programs, and highly respect you....so probably this matter is just some screwup on my end.

Thanks again for the quick response...I feel like I should print it and keep it forever as I'm such a fan!!

Freddyyx

I realize the image cant grow,but I had clone set to 4500MB when I used it, and here's how imgburn looked,and where I got the readings from:

Disc Information:

Size: 4,666,806,272 bytesTime: 506:24:64 (MM:SS:FF)

bytes isnt a case of dividing by 1000 to get Megabytes .

a 4.35gb( according to file properties in windoze ) iso ( from dvdshrink) is actually 4,681,396,224 bytes.

wait for the guvner to explain simply why this is , but your 4500mb file isnt the same as 4,500,000 bytes so it has not "grown" in size ...........sorry

dont know about clone, but set your overall file size to 4350-4464mb with shrink , as if you go larger, you risk burning to near to the edge of the disc, and with low quality media it affects playback

Disc Information:

Size: 4,666,806,272 bytes

Time: 506:24:64 (MM:SS:FF)

4,666,806,272 bytes converts to 4450.61MB or 4.34GB, nothing has realy "grown".

Just different reporting formats. Bytes / KB / MB / GB.

Me either polo :faint: Have you updated the firmware on your burner at all freddyyx ?

You can use ImgBurn to check for firmware updates at www.rpc1.org or you can use the link in my signature :)

First,thanks for all the info!

I dont know why it said that for the write speed; that was an already burned disc...here is what it ususlly says:

Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-852S PSX3 (USB)

Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:

Free Sectors: 2,297,888

Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes

Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: TYG02

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-R

Again,thanks. Its great being a part of your community.

Freddyyx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.