Track 1 is smaller on the disc than it is in the image file.

e5frog

I've been in contact with someone from LiteOn and they've now found and fixed the issue in their firmware - they sent me a new test version for my iHAS324 and so I've confirmed it now works ok.

I provided them with test info from a whole bunch of drives - here are the results (exactly as they were sent to LiteOn), just for future reference!

So we have a disc that causes issues for at least the 'iHAS324 A BL1P' drive.

I'll now try it in the other drives I have in my PC... (exact same disc, I'm not burning it again or anything)

PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760A 1.07 - Reports correct info.

HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L YL05 - Reports correct info.

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-217F 1.07 - Reports correct info.

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S 1.03 - Reports correct info.

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 TN02 - Reports correct info.

Out of the 6 internal drives on my PC, only the LiteOn has the track information issue.

I will now test a few 'older' LiteOn models to see if they have the same problem...

=======================================================

ATAPI iHAS120 6 7L0M - LTS is wrong.

ATAPI DVD A DH20A1S UX14 - Reports correct info.

ATAPI iHAS422 8 4L18 - LTS is wrong.

ATAPI iHES208 2 8L0C - LTS is wrong.

LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165S6S QS02 - Reports correct info.

LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P KL0N - Reports correct info.

LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1H HL09 - Reports correct info.

LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R - Reports correct info.

ATAPI DVD A DH20A4H QP5B - Reports correct info.

ATAPI DVD A DH20A6LE D347 - LTS is wrong.

ATAPI DVD A DH20A3P XV6D - LTS is wrong.

ATAPI DVD A DH20A3P XY13 - LTS is wrong.

and just for good measure, a few Samsung drives with what I can only assume is a very similar chipset...

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F SB03 - LTS is wrong.

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB04 - LTS is wrong.

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183A SB03 - LTS is wrong.

So basically, everything starting with the 20A3* series is broken. (20A4* isn't counted as I understand they were the same hardware as the 20A1* series)

Nice that companies actually take the time to solve these problems, I have heard nothing from Samsung - I guess you need to get in contact with the right guy, sending something technical like this to customer care is asking for nothing to actually be done...

BTW, my brand new "Samsung SH-S222A" TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A refuses to read one title of disc 2 of The Simpsons Season 9 - original disc. The is clean, no scratches disc works fine in the DVD-ROM (TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D162C), in the Xbox 360, in the PS2 and both the plain DVD-players. Is it the disc or the DVD-burner that's faulty... Hmmm.

Is there any recommendations on what brand and model to buy so I don't have to use this kind of crappy hardware anymore? Something with no known firmware bugs that burns good discs on let's say Verbatim brand discs and in at least 8x speed?

Well for now I guess you need to steer clear of Samsung (and LiteOn until the next round of firmware fixes). The new Pioneer 118/218 uses the same chipset and *may* have the same issue - I don't have one to test with.

Maybe an Optiarc 7240 or 7241?

Well, I didn't buy a new Optiarc since the laser of the last one I had broke after only 1,5 years ( I guess I should count discs instead, approximaltely 1 disc per week). Also I'm a bit limited by wanting a "full size" PATA/IDE model.

Well, broke and broke, it stopped burning my Traxdata (Ritek) discs correctly.

So if I would go for Optiarc again (I could sell the Samsung) these seems to be the alternatives for me:

Sony Optiarc AD-5170A

Sony Optiarc AD-5200A

Sony Optiarc AD-7173A

Sony Optiarc AD-7200A

Sony Optiarc AD-7201A (this seems to be the same as 7200A but with LightScribe)

Sony Optiarc AD-7203A (this seems to be the same as 7200A but with LabelFlash) Why not agree on one standard, always two different...

Found this Pioneer that might be interesting as well:

Pioneer DVR-A18L

Edited by e5frog

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.