Somebody doesn't want me to have R30!!

Pain_Man

I ordered R30, the concert DVD (plus CDs) of Rush's 30 anniversary tour (a concert in Frankfurt).

First disk: at 1:05:57, during Alex's solo in "Dreamline", the sound drops out for a second. The sound resumes at 1:05:58. There are two sound subchannels, L-PCM and 5.1 Dolby. The problem is in both of them.

I checked them in my laptop DVD-ROM to be sure, sho' nuff, the defect is there as well (which is something of a relief, I don't want a problem with my precious 5-disc Sony set-top).

Well, I reordered it the set, got it today, same goddamned problem/same goddamned place!

I called Amazon, or rather had them call me back, and told the dude the story. He was apparently surprised I had so much detail about the issue.

He issued an alert to all their distribution centers to pull R30 to see what's going on. He suggested I wait a couple of weeks before I reorder. He also put a note in the computer so I would get free overnight when I do reorder. (I'm a "Premium Member" so I get two-day air free anyway.)

This is the first problem I've had like this with Amazon in 9 years of doing business with them. Can't say that about many other businesses.

My question is: has any other Rush fan had a problem with this DVD set?

Please let me know, especially if you bought it from Amazon whether in the UK or not.

Thanks.

Edited by Pain_Man

Seems like what I had e-mailed you about on this was the case: for want of a better term, a "mastering" error.

No argument.

Just hoping I'd get one from a new lot. Apparently I didn't. :angry:

Oy vey. Guess I'll have to hit Tower Records or BestBuy or even Wal-Mart and see if I can pick it up there.

For serious Rush fans check out this awesome collection of hard to get concerts and CDs...

Rush Replay (3 DVD/CD Boxed Set)

I don't believe the concert film from the Grace tour was ever released. I saw it on MTV back in '84 or '85 and happened to tape it on VHS. A non-stereo VHS. (I know, I know, Beta had 5.1 Surround Sound, DTS and was already digital...)

I never saw it on store shelves. Here it is.

This just keeps getting weirder.

--NOTE: the following comments refer only to a personal DVD--

When I made an image and mounted that on Alcohol the defect, the single second of silence during the guitar solo in "Dreamline" was gone.

When I burned that image to a DL, the goddamn silence was back!!

How the hell is this possible? So now we have intermittant freakin' problems on disks???

If there is a mastering error, why would it be present in the image? And when it's not present in the image, why does it reappear on the (completely legal) backup copy???

To add to my stress one of my insurance companies is busting my balls. :whatever: AAARGH!!!! Valium time! :)

Pay these bastards seven grand a year and I can't get them to pay my doc $80 a month. I think my grandparents had it infinitely easier when they paid the doctor with a couple of chickens and pint of panther piss.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.