ISO9660 Joliet UDF?

Tappan Adney

I collect live music in SHN and FLAC data and burn archive DVDRs for backups of this data. I use Windows XP exclusively, but I do sometimes send discs to Mac users and will eventually move to Windows 7. Maybe that isn't important, and honestly, I'm not sure how to ask this question; or if I should be asking it all. I've been using ImgBurn for this purpose for the past couple of weeks, and I see that all those discs have been burned in UDF. I went to burn some .avi files, and it asked me to switch to Joliet, which is why I'm even aware of this setting. Should I be concerned with one's universality over another's? Which is best to use as to avoid any problems with other OS and capability down the line? Apologies if this is an inconsequential question, but I'm wholly ignorant and would like to avoid any hassles with losing valuable data because I used some software incorrectly.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If I need to provide any additional information, please let me know.

For general backups, you can just use all three at once.

Whatever you try and read them on at a later date will surely be able to read one of them.

Because I used UDF alone for around 20 discs, would you recommend I go back and burn other copies of those in all three to be safe?

I forgot to ask whether this UDF-only could be a problem for hardware, such as new burners, etc? Or is that not how it works?

I have noticed, and enjoyed, UDF not truncating some of the longer file names that I now realize was done with other software that utilized Joliet alone.

Your UDF only discs will work fine, all OS's since something like Windows 95 can read that file system (the drive plays no part in it).

Joliet supports up to 64 characters in a file name. You can extend that if you relax some of the 'Restrictions'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.