ASK Malware ignored all options and didn't uninstall

askmalware

I just decided to check if there was a new version of ImgBurn out and tried to install the latest version.

During installation my firewall popped up a few warnings and I denied all attempts to connect to the internet. During the installation screen, I saw a page asking to install Ask Toolbar. I attempted to UNCHECK all Ask options because I DO NOT authorize the installation of ASK Malware. None of the selections unchecked and the installer hung for a moment, then proceeded to install anyway.

I promptly uninstalled ImgBurn and uninstalled ASK, which forcibly installed itself without my consent when I specifically clicked to UNCHECK to disallow all installation. Don't tell me I have to allow ASK Malware to phone home to expressly DISALLOW installation. I forbid phoning home as well as installation.

Now, with ASK UNINSTALLED ALL my browsers are still set to ASK.com with your referral link, none of which was done with my consent and AFTER ASK was UNINSTALLED. IN IE, I am getting a message that a program on my computer is suggesting a new search proved (ASK) EVEN THOUGH ASK is uninstalled.

I'm now combing through everything on my drive with Spyware and Malware scanners to get rid of all unauthorized changes to my system.

If you don't remove ASK Malware from your installer, I suggest you figure out a way to prevent it from installing without user authorization, without phoning home and make sure that it FULLY and PROPERLY uninstalls all traces of itself and any authorized changes it makes to a system, when the ASK uninstaller is run.

EDIT: Well, now I've read through other posts where other users have exactly the same problem. It seems you have convinced some of them that they somehow unintentionally clicked forward or install. Well, I know for sure that I did not. This just happened minutes ago. I was sitting there waiting for the THREE checkboxes that I clicked to UNCHECK to become unchecked, when the program went ahead anyway. I would never just go ahead and click forward with three checkboxes checked saying that I authorized something which I DO NOT AND DID NOT AUTHORISE.

I've been around the block with all sorts of tricky adware and toolbars for years and in every case I'll just back out and cancel if I'm unable to deselect the Malware options. This is the only installer I've ever seen on any of my systems that went ahead and installed WITHOUT MY CONSENT.

Edited by askmalware

Sorry but you're still wrong.

I know how the code in the installer works (because I wrote it) and it only installs if the box is checked. I've done it a million times now and never had an issue... then again, I don't care for blocking outgoing connections. If blocking them introduces extra lenghty delays then maybe that makes it easier for the user to accidently click the install button with the box still being ticked. Oh and once you click install, the toolbar (if left as enabled) is installed whilst that page is still active - i.e. it looks no different.

I've already reworked it for the next release so the checker runs when the installer first open - the delay will therefore happen before you see any installer GUI at all. The toolbar installation also happens on the normal installation page (where you have a progress bar and a little details box).

Sorry but you're still wrong.

I beg to differ, sir.

... then again, I don't care for blocking outgoing connections.

Well, this sounds like you neglected to test certain situations because you don't care to configure your own system a certain way. I do recall reading other posts that mention similar firewall hits. I'm not sure why you're intent on blaming your users in every case. Isn't there the slightest possibility that this happens as described by multiple users on certain systems with certain firewall and anti-virus configurations?

For my part, I DON'T care to have applications phoning home without asking my permission and without notifying me. I also don't care to have applications phoning out to various and sundry third party websites without my permission and without notifying me. Apparently, users who have not run into this problem with your installer do not worry about leaving their system wide open and allowing any and all applications to calling home or out to any number of servers for any reason, regardless of whether or not the software has any business connecting to the internet for it's functionality. Finally, I don't care to have applications install and change my system settings and other unrelated application settings without my consent.

If blocking them introduces extra lenghty delays then maybe that makes it easier for the user to accidently click the install button with the box still being ticked.

Again, this is not the case. If I had the time and a system to spare, I would screen capture the behaviour for you, but I've already spent more than enough time dealing with this and it's not my burden to prove or fix.

I've already reworked it for the next release so the checker runs when the installer first open - the delay will therefore happen before you see any installer GUI at all.

Glad to hear it. The ASK uninstaller also needs some work, so it's system changes do not linger after being uninstalled.

Edited by askmalware

Perhaps we should address the other part of this posting - the failure to UNINSTALL, which is the one thing that makes Ask nothing more than slimy malware. The fact that Ask doesn't uninstall cleanly, and leaves itself wedged into Firefox... you know, the one browser that never should be touched by any outside programs to begin with?

And even then, you'll never hear anyone talking about Ask in any regard other than how to uninstall or deselect it... anyone that DID install Ask did so unknowingly or unintentionally. How can a piece of software like that find its way into ImgBurn?!

And really, this is just a preposterous response:

That's simply not an option at this time.

Of course it's an option. It was an option to add it, it can be an option to remove it as well. Unless of course ImgBurn's soul was sold to Ask.com under contract, in which case we're all just totally fucked and should move on anyway.

This is really getting funny. If you people can't avoid installing a toolbar or uninstalling it once its on then Imgburn's probably beyond you and moving on is a good idea. But to what? Well for only £39.99 you can buy Ner0 burning rom, but guess what? - it comes with the Ask toolbar :w00t:

From Ner0 FAQ...

Nero is offering the Ask Toolbar for download from its website as an added bonus to Nero customers. What better way to enhance the digital lifestyle than with a handy toolbar featuring great links and editing tools?

and...

Nero is sure that its users will enjoy and benefit from such a great value-added bonus. The Ask Toolbar makes searching the web easier and even includes links to Nero’s web pages, which always have useful information and tutorials for Nero users.

Move on with a new product with a new developer that hasn't yet felt complacent in the user base and begins to believe it's OK to include a malware toolbar, then blame the user for backlash against said toolbar. And quite frankly I can't believe there are any ImgBurn users on this forum that think it's acceptable to throw Ask in there to begin with. I've been using ImgBurn since before it was even called ImgBurn... I'd like to think I'm more than just some throwaway user. :rolleyes:

But it seems that users have become disposable, and it's probably time for another product to come along and replace ImgBurn, the same as ImgBurn replaced Nero, and Nero replaced Roxio...

Look, here's how the installer works....

The checker exe is run (I have no idea what it does) and the return value MUST equal '0' for ImgBurn to offer the toolbar.

After that it's pure installer code - i.e. my stuff and none of that is going to care about firewalls etc because it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

When the 'Install' button is clicked on the toolbar offer page, the installer code checks the state of the top checkbox on that page and that alone decides if the toolbar installer exe gets called or not.

Oh and Falcon, there are contracts for everything these days. Mobile phones, Sky/Virgin TV - they call it 'Business'.

You've had your little rant now so please just let it go, what you say makes no difference to anything and just winds me up. What's done is done so just deal with it or move on.

Fair enough... I do sincerely hope the days of using these dishonest methods to fund ImgBurn are numbered - not at all for my sake (I'm more than capable of unchecking the Ask toolbar thing myself, and I know how to avoid an ad) - but just for ImgBurn's reputation's sake. I don't want to see ImgBurn get a sloppy reputation just because of funding issues!

So, that's the last you'll hear from me on the matter... *sigh* much as I want to push it until it's gone... it's malware, by every definition, and I just can't stand to see ImgBurn associated with it. But I trust others will help continue my words where I left off, until it's gone... :/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.