ImgBurn disabled autoplay?

bigsleep

Windows XP Pro SP2

ImgBurn 2.5.1.0

I burned a DVD data disc, after the burn started I checked the box for "Close program when done", then I went to sleep. When I went back to the computer, ImgBurn was closed and nothing had popped up (usually I get asked for an AutoPlay action). When I looked in Explorer the drive had no title (just DVD-RAM), and looking at Properties shows no label. I thought the burn was bad, but the files show and work, a CRC test shows the burn was good.

So now DVDs don't display the disc label and AutoPlay doesn't work. I can't get AutoPlay V2 to work. If I remove the drives in Device Manager, then re-install them things go (almost) back to normal, but it looks like AutoPlay Legacy in action, when I reboot things go back to the broken state.

I tried a program called AutoFix and it states that

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [J:\, Drive Type: 0]:

Result [Legacy Notification]: OK

Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {

Service (Silent)

Shell (Deaf) }

>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]

Step: No steps to take.

Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

Now I know that the disc labels were being displayed immediately before I burned that disc, so I think that ImgBurn did not restore AutoPlay functions when it closed.

I should be able to fix this if I knew what registry entry, or whatever, ImgBurn does to disable AutoPlay. I at the very least need to be able to see the volume labels.

Edited by bigsleep

All kinds of things can be going on here, did you at least try rebooting the pc? Even just ejecting the disc, refreshing a 'My Computer' window, reinserting the disc (waiting for 30 seconds) and then refreshing again normally works.

ImgBurn can show you your current setting for a few of the operating system autoplay options, just look on the 'Device' tab in the settings.

The main one you need enabled is the 'Auto Insert Notification' one. Without that, the drive isn't polled to see if it's ready/not ready.

After that you have the autoplay data/audio discs.

The stuff ImgBurn does when it burns gets reset by the OS when ImgBurn is closed (or rather the 'handle' to the drive is closed). That's a worse case scenario. ImgBurn always re-enables anything it disables during the burn.

Yes, there is something much deeper here, I assure you I most definitely tried the obvious.

These messages started appearing in System Event Viewer, this error never appears before the event I mentioned in my above post...

Event Type:	Warning
Event Source:	Removable Storage Service
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	128
Date:		5/12/2010
Time:		9:22:30 PM
User:		N/A
-
Description:
The device number of a(n) CdRom drive cannot be determined.  This device failed to configure.   This event may be logged several times for the same device.

Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	redbook
Event ID:	10
Date:		5/13/2010
Time:		12:47:59 AM
_
Description:
This drive has not been shown to support digital audio playback.

_
Data:
0000: ff 00 04 00 01 00 5c 00   ÿ.....\.
0008: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 ff 4f   ......ÿO
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0018: 01 00 00 00 ff ff ff ff   ....ÿÿÿÿ
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0028: 01 00 00 00               ....    

Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	redbook
Event ID:	10
Date:		5/13/2010
Time:		12:48:07 AM
_
Description:
This drive has not been shown to support digital audio playback.

_
Data:
0000: ff 00 04 00 01 00 5c 00   ÿ.....\.
0008: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 ff 4f   ......ÿO
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0018: 01 00 00 00 ff ff ff ff   ....ÿÿÿÿ
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0028: 01 00 00 00               ....    

Before this happened I did have trouble burning a 74min CD-Audio disk, so I did update the firmware (after which I had to reboot), and then I updated ImgBurn, which didn't help and I had to add an older DVD burner, which I have now removed. However I don't recall having any issues at all after that. Digital audio is working (I don't have analog connected at all), and I certainly had to reboot after removing the drive.

I can't figure out what's happened, I also tried changing the settings with TweakUI and checked the settings in Group Policy Editor, but nothing has any effect, and I can't explain the warnings. Because I haven't done anything else to the system lately, I'm pretty sure it has to be related to ImgBurn, as going all the way back to February those same messages never appear.

This isn't the first time I've changed drives, updated ImgBurn or updated drive firmware, I've done that many many times.

Normally, before, when I burn a disk it does a verify, then when that completes I get the pop-up confirmation. If I close the pop-up immediately then no AutoPlay events fire. If, however I'm not there then after a second I get the AutoPlay selection menu - so I'll have the ImgBurn pop-up under the AutoPlay pop-up. This obviously won't happen now and it's the reason I originally thought that ImgBurn might not have released that event when it closed.

Edited by bigsleep

ImgBurn doesn't do anything that would kill this stuff and it's just an exe so if it's not running then it can't possibly be doing anything. Your problem lies elsewhere - but that doesn't mean I won't help if I can.

Try the DMA fix in the FAQ (uninstall the controllers in device manager and let windows find everything again from scratch).

You might also like to clear out old entries by adding the 'DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES' environment variable and showing hidden items in device maanger (via the View menu).

Try the DMA fix in the FAQ

I haven't tried that, I will give it a go.

(uninstall the controllers in device manager and let windows find everything again from scratch).

Did that already, twice.

You might also like to clear out old entries by adding the 'DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES' environment variable and showing hidden items in device mananger.

Thanks, I wanted to get rid of old entries, but not sure where to look (I searched the registry but ID'd only one) - I'll try that.

I agree that It's probably not ImgBurn, but I was out of ideas, and it definitely happened after the upgrade.

Thanks, I'll let you know.

The DMA fix IS to remove the controllers in Device manager and reboot.

I assume everything comes back ok without any yellow exclamation points etc?

What filter drivers have you got installed? Maybe one of those is killing it. Use the feature in the Tools menu to copy + paste the info.

Any reason you can't put SP3 on for XP?

You might also like to clear out old entries by adding the 'DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES' environment variable and showing hidden items in device mananger.

That's a great tip, why is that not simply an included option by default? Here's a step-by-step for anyone that might be interested in cleaning up their registry.

Open System Properties - Advanced

Click Environment Variables

Add this variable in the System Variables window...

Name : DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

Value : 1

Open Device Manager

Select Tools - Show hidden devices

Now Non-Present devices will show in gray

I had quite a few duplicate and old entries from hardware that have been removed, including CD/DVD drives, and I uninstalled them all except for one network device it would not let me remove.

However that made no difference.

I did had a couple exclamations, probably audio devices (disabled in BIOS).

I tried everything you suggested, made no difference.

However I think this fixed the redbook and CD-Rom errors that were showing in the Event Logs.

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.1.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter:  redbook
Upper Class Filter:  [None Found]
            Device:  CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter:  [None Found]
Lower Device Filter:  imapi

Filter Name:  redbook
         File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
      File Version:  5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
  File Description:  Redbook Audio Filter Driver
      Product Name:  Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
   Product Version:  5.1.2600.2180
      Company Name:  Microsoft Corporation
         Copyright:  © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name:  imapi
         File Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
      File Version:  5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
  File Description:  IMAPI Kernel Driver
      Product Name:  Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
   Product Version:  5.1.2600.2180
      Company Name:  Microsoft Corporation
         Copyright:  © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I think we are looking in the wrong place, it's as if there's a group policy that is preventing this from working, perhaps the necessary key doesn't exist, and I don't know what that might be.

I can try to retrace my steps from when everything was working fine:

I needed to burn a 74min Audio CD, my new Plextor PX-880SA slowest CD burn speed is 16x, apparently that is too fast, I didn't know this. And actually, the disk would burn, but Verify would not start and the program would hang at "Verifying disk". Pressing the stop button would abort the process.

I updated the Plextor firmware (from 1.10 to 1.12 I think)

I updated ImgBurn (from 2.4.1 to 2.5.1 I think)

That made no difference.

I had an old version of EAC that I copied and ran (for the first time in this OS). That made no difference as it would still burn only at 16x.

I added the Memorex DVD burner that I had before, it would burn at 8x which worked - problem solved.

I removed the Memorex DVD burner.

I later burned a Data DVD with ImgBurn, checked the "Close Program" box and went to sleep.

Later when I checked, ImgBurn was closed, there was no AutoPlay pop-up, Explorer did not show the disc label. I thought the burn had failed, I open/closed the tray - no AutoPlay pop-up, no disk label. However the files showed in Explorer and a CRC check was good, so there weren't any burn errors. I assume if there were errors then ImgBurn would NOT close?

Also, USB thumb drives don't AutoPlay, and the label is actually different than usual, I have PortableApps on one and normally the drive label is "PortableApps", now the label is the formatted drive label.

If I leave a disc in the drive and the USB stick plugged in and re-boot, then the labels show up correctly, if I remove them then re-insert them nothing happens (as above). I checked several other things too - DVDs play and I can still view the contents of my HD-DVD drive, everything else seems normal.

Again I'm out of ideas. But I think it has to do with policies, if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Edited by bigsleep

So far I haven't made any progress - this really isn't an AutoPlay problem it seems, it's Auto Insert Notification (AIN) or AutoRun, and all the reg entries look fine.

And "The device number of a(n) CdRom drive cannot be determined" and "This drive has not been shown to support digital audio playback." still appear - I had Removable Storage Service on manual, when I put it on auto the errors show in Event Log. CD-Audio discs do play (manually), and I can see the cda tracks.

Also, the disk title will appear if I disable then enable digital auto - as Windows re-reads the drive. Oddly, disabling digital audio doesn't actually disable it.

Oh, and here's a new Event Viewer error when I tried the above: "RSM cannot manage library CdRom0. The database is corrupt.", possibly unrelated as I deleted everything in the Removable Storage library because it looked old.

I really don't know what any of this means, half-educated guesses.

Edited by bigsleep

Re-installing Windows would very likely fix the problem, that would be a big hassle.

Upgrading to SP3 (as I did with SP2), may do nothing at all and it isn't necessary as everything (except AIN) works as perfectly as Windows can. I don't generally fix what isn't broken.

Regardless, I appreciate your good product and your good advice, and it has enabled me to rid the bloat from my computer. ImgBurn has burned many CD and DVD flawlessly and you continue to improve it, for which I will happily continue to donate. Your attention to supporting it are admirable. Its only short-comings are due to failing drives, and Plextor's apparent lack of support for older media (74 min Audio-CD).

My problems are likely my own fault, and you have assured me it's not related to your software. I will either live with it or dig deeper for a solution (of which there has to be one).

• 5 months later...

I finally figured it out, after endless searching...

Group Policy Editor:

Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options

Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only

This needs to be set to Disabled (makes no sense to me, but it has to be that way).

The shorter way to get there is in the registry

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\allocatecdroms

This needs to be set to 0

It was set to 1 which disabled autoplay and prevented to CD/DVD label from showing. What the purpose of this is I don't understand, because the drive can still be accessed (but maybe not over the network?).

Also, the other removable media problem with USB flash drives and such seems to have fixed itself now.

This problem was (probably) caused by a virus that changed a bunch of security settings, and I missed this one because it wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

- Oh, and always reboot (3 times) :teehee:

Edited by bigsleep

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.