Win 7 x64 CD/DVD burning problem

Fang

I 15:07:42 -> Drive 1 - Info: AlViDrv BDDVDROM 3.2c (J:) (SCSI)

I 15:07:42 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS50 YP01 (D:) (RAID)

I 15:07:42 -> Drive 3 - Info: Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S 102A (F:) (RAID)

I 15:07:42 Found 2 DVD±RW/RAMs and 1 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROM!

It certainly knows it's found 2 burners so I don't see why it wouldn't show up.

It just looks like the drive is having trouble burning to some of the discs. I never rate rewritables very highly, they often fail.

What I'd do is try with some decent Verbatim / Taiyo Yuden media. (If possible, DVD+R Verbs or DVD-R Taiyo Yuden)

For CD's, I'd only ever use Taiyo Yuden now.

I 15:07:42 -> Drive 1 - Info: AlViDrv BDDVDROM 3.2c (J:) (SCSI)

I 15:07:42 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS50 YP01 (D:) (RAID)

I 15:07:42 -> Drive 3 - Info: Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S 102A (F:) (RAID)

I 15:07:42 Found 2 DVD±RW/RAMs and 1 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROM!

It certainly knows it's found 2 burners so I don't see why it wouldn't show up.

It just looks like the drive is having trouble burning to some of the discs. I never rate rewritables very highly, they often fail.

What I'd do is try with some decent Verbatim / Taiyo Yuden media. (If possible, DVD+R Verbs or DVD-R Taiyo Yuden)

For CD's, I'd only ever use Taiyo Yuden now.

This doesn't explain why the burner worked just fine with diff media brands for quite some time or why imageburn sees the burners as RAID while device manager doesn't report them as RAID. I've had the same problem with Verbatim disk, both DVD-R and CD-R. I really believe it's something in windows 7, posiably caused by a windows update?

Are you expecting Device Manager to list them in the 'RAID' section or something?

The value ImgBurn displays is just taken from the 'BusType' field in the STORAGE_ADAPTER_DESCRIPTOR descriptor which is returned by a call to DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY).

The OS *shouldn't* make any difference, after all, the software is talking to the drive directly. If the software submits a 'write' command then I'd expect a 'write error' return code to have come from the drive itself, not the OS.

By all means boot up an Ubuntu Live CD or something and test the burner that way.

Are you expecting Device Manager to list them in the 'RAID' section or something?

The value ImgBurn displays is just taken from the 'BusType' field in the STORAGE_ADAPTER_DESCRIPTOR descriptor which is returned by a call to DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY).

The OS *shouldn't* make any difference, after all, the software is talking to the drive directly. If the software submits a 'write' command then I'd expect a 'write error' return code to have come from the drive itself, not the OS.

By all means boot up an Ubuntu Live CD or something and test the burner that way.

Donloading the Ubuntu Live CD now. It sounds like a good CD to have around. Thanks for the info on it.

Why would imageburn report the drives as RAID when RAID has never been enabled? I'm thinking that because the drives are reported as being RAID that is why I'm having problems burning.

Because that's what the driver is reporting. Haven't we been through this a million time already?! x64 OS's often report the BusType as RAID, SCSI, ATAPI (none of which are common on x86 - they typically just use ATA), I guess that's just how the drivers are designed/built.

The drivers are just a means of getting data from and sending data to the drive. They shouldn't have any effect on the actual outcome - apart from the commands being totally blocked - which is what normally happens with 'format' command and the advanced/vendor unique ones used for bitsetting.

Because that's what the driver is reporting. Haven't we been through this a million time already?! x64 OS's often report the BusType as RAID, SCSI, ATAPI (none of which are common on x86 - they typically just use ATA), I guess that's just how the drivers are designed/built.

The drivers are just a means of getting data from and sending data to the drive. They shouldn't have any effect on the actual outcome - apart from the commands being totally blocked - which is what normally happens with 'format' command and the advanced/vendor unique ones used for bitsetting.

No, we haven't been through this even once let alone a million times! I've not heard of this but thanks for the info anyway. It clears up a lot of things.

As for "The drivers are just a means of getting data from and sending data to the drive" if they are corrupt or incorrect from MS or the drive manufacturer couldn't that cause the problems I'm having? Maybe a FAQ on burners and OS's would be helpful?

Post 20 and 22 both say it comes from the drivers, post 30 then repeats that.

If they were corrupt you wouldn't be having such specific issues. You'd have issues where the drive doesn't show up at all or something.

Until you at least try all the suggestions we can't rule anything out or hope to narrow down the true cause.

If you wanted to get the drives off a 'RAID' controller you could go for a Silicon Image PCI or card or something. Flash the card with the base bios and you're all set for optical drive usage.

I'd give the Ubuntu CD a go first though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.