Auto burn w/ rebuilder

l8nights

forgive me if this has already been addressed but upon installation of the latestversion of DVD Rebuilder I noticed this in the changelog

- Added support for burning ISO images with ImgBurn,

Lightning UK's latest burner. Use is automatic, DVD

Rebuilder will recognize when ImgBurn is installed

and it will be used. DVD Decrypter now becomes the

secondary choice for burning. ImgBurn is free, it

is highly recommended, and can be downloaded from

www.imgburn.com

:w00t: seems jdobbs has jumped on the train. this is great news to me as I rarely use shrink anymore!

I also noticed that the update behind the version said final so I'm assuming that a donation will no longer get you in the V.I.P. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Regards! :thumbup:

Hey l8night,

I assume that you use DVD Rebuilder quite a bit. So far, 200+ burns I've always used just DVDD and DVDS. These two progs make a beautiful pair. Not one coaster yet (knock on wood). I researched a little bit on DVD Rebuilder. Afterdawn claims that DVD Rebuilder delivers the best re-encoding available. It also mentioned that it takes a few HOURS to re-encode. Is that true? I mean, my God, that's a big difference compared to DVDS. Is the better quality really worth the few hour wait time?

KSN

Hey l8night,

I assume that you use DVD Rebuilder quite a bit. So far, 200+ burns I've always used just DVDD and DVDS. These two progs make a beautiful pair. Not one coaster yet (knock on wood). I researched a little bit on DVD Rebuilder. Afterdawn claims that DVD Rebuilder delivers the best re-encoding available. It also mentioned that it takes a few HOURS to re-encode. Is that true? I mean, my God, that's a big difference compared to DVDS. Is the better quality really worth the few hour wait time?

KSN

@ ksn I haven't the need to use shrink in quite some time, I notice the difference even on my old t.v. just 27 in. but it's a good idea to start now as most t.v.'s are going high def and media as well small flaws that never showed between the copy and the original are going to become more and more apparent as tecnology grows :thumbup:

so the movie's I plan on having and enjoying in a couple years need to be the best quality they can be!

as far as the times it's true the encoding times are a quite a bit more up to four hour's just for what shrink takes twenty but it' sall in what you preffer I personally have gotten my encode times down to under an hour!! :w00t:

as far as After dawn goes I dont' frequent those halls very much I find them to be arrogant, and lacking in knowledge most are just copying from dd any way's feel free to join me on www.dvdhounds.com if you need more assistance btw. there is a wealth of knowledge right here!!

cheers!!

regards!!!

Under an hour???? Wow - even on CCE one pass, that is fast.

I encode overnight - takes about 4-6 hours with Procoder 2.

And KSN, the quality shits on DVD Shrink or DVD95Copy or anything. It encodes each frame from scratch, as opposed to DVD Shrink which adjusts the quant settings, often creating visible macroblocks. See the interesting tests done by UncasMS in Digital Digest's DVDRB forum.

It is especially good on low bitrate stuff, where any transcoder falters badly. So, my advice is to get it. Use it first with HCEnc (free, but similar quality to CCE). Then, if you like what you see, go to the top encoders.

DVDRB has a freebie version as well as Pro. Pro allows lots of cool things like setting bitrates for each cell, and particular quant matrices for each cell.

And yes, the $10 initial VIP period has run out. $30 now.

Regards

Edited by blutach

well it's right around an hour and yes I'm using cce opv w/ no filtering to get it but it is possible and I was a die-hard dynamic duo (dvdd&dvds) fan for the longest so the qualityis still quite impressive

w/ the new dual core p.c.'s I have been reading even faster times

oh yeah j-dobbs has donated three vip memberships to the membership drive at dvd hounds so if you know any one who want's to give it a go you might send them over

It is especially good on low bitrate stuff, where any transcoder falters badly. So, my advice is to get it. Use it first with HCEnc (free, but similar quality to CCE). Then, if you like what you see, go to the top encoders.

remembering that hc although is great quality just a little slower than cce but you can't beat free!

I've done quite a bit of testing on HC since UncasMS told me about it (still use Procoder 2 myself) and it is bloody good. And yes, it's a bit slower - maybe up to an hour would be my guess. But the quality is excellent and as you say, you can't beat the price! Anyway, as for timing, what's it matter when you're asleep?

I would never use CCE. I reckon it's only good for Low BR stuff and you can always use Rockas Matrix Editor to use its matrices for that anyway.

Nice of jdobbs to offer freebies.

l8er :)

Regards

I've done quite a bit of testing on HC since UncasMS told me about it (still use Procoder 2 myself) and it is bloody good. And yes, it's a bit slower - maybe up to an hour would be my guess. But the quality is excellent and as you say, you can't beat the price! Anyway, as for timing, what's it matter when you're asleep?

I would never use CCE. I reckon it's only good for Low BR stuff and you can always use Rockas Matrix Editor to use its matrices for that anyway.

Nice of jdobbs to offer freebies.

l8er :)

Regards

I did my first encode last night with HC. I did notice is was a bit slow but the results are fantastic. I still use Quenc for DVD's requiring less reduction and I want a better result than Shrink. I tend to use it for doing stuff recorded off the TV where I put 4 42 minute episodes of a series on a disc.

I am happy with the free version of DVD-RB so I can't use it's ISO function. I can always use Imgtool classic and imgburn afterwards.

The real thing in the Pro version is the ability to integrate easily the addons. Matrix Editor and RBOpt are tremendous, especially for when you have low BR stuff like extras that you wanna keep.

Regards

also the ability to handle the ilvu/multi-angle titles is greatly improved w/ pro but probably as hd dvd's become available the filters and numerous add-ons will be the key to keeping up!

the pro-version is well worth the money but if you have never used it you'll never know what you are missing!

imo quenc is terrible as I had some bad headaches come from it's use and one 12 hr encode time I discontinued use right quick like!

hc is awesome!

blu have you ever tried the rb-loader reading about it and wondering if it is affective no need right now but I think there should be a pact made to create the ultimate one-click!!!

@ElBoricua433

While we can't get into discussions on the past program you mentioned, any problems playing disc's on standalones that have been burnt by ImgBurn are most likely to be due to:

• attempting to burn too fast
  • using media type (e.g. -R +R) which your stand-alone doesn't like
  • using inferior media
  • using media which your burner doesn't like

As an example, I have problems with Ritek disc's in my current burner that others swear by. Verbatim work without a hitch however so I use them almost exclusively.

as far as the times it's true the encoding times are a quite a bit more up to four hour's just for what shrink takes twenty but it' sall in what you preffer I personally have gotten my encode times down to under an hour!!

l8nights,

What settings do you use for achieving <1hr encodes? My encodes generally take 3-4 hours.

Thanks

@ lantern what encoder do you use?

your processor wil determine what types of speeds you are capable of achieving.

my times posted are using one pass w/ analysis, no filters, on my vaio p4 3.0 512ddram.

oh yeah the title was multi angle <7.5 gb's

I started using quenc and hc w/ times of like 6 hrs for Q, and 2.5-4 hrs for hc.

@ ElBoricua433 how long ago did you try dvd rebuilder it seems like I have seen three updates in about 6mo's

as far as the specific problem zacoz addressed this well but media would be the likely culprit w/out knowing the details!

Edited by l8nights

@l8nights - never used RBLoader. My main wish is for an RBKeeper style addon to the prog. I think jdobbs is doing something for 1.10 to keep certain segments at 100% (bypassing them entirely, thereby gaining speed and quality) and then use RBOpt for the rest.

This is where Procoder 2 comes in real handy as it is superb at low BR stuff. As for the high BR stuff, I tend to use the FHE matrix in RME.

Regards

Glad too see LIGHTNING UK! back. I have been using DVD Rebuilder with CCE basic (2 passes) for a while using Nero to burn, until Jdobbs added the ISO image option. I will not be going back to Nero, TOO MANY BUGS! and now they want you to update to Nero7. Donation is on the way,keep up the good work!

My encode times on a self built 2.8 P4 run between 1.5~2.0 hours using Rebuilder & CCE 2 passes. I have ran some tests with the HC encoder with great results as well, the times are slower but what do you want for FREE.

I would like to thank LUK!, JDobbs, and all of the others who put the hard work into these programs!

I recently donated for the Pro version of DVD-RB, but hadn't actually gotten around to trying it out. Have now used it twice (with HC) and must say I'm impressed with the ease of use and quality produced. Encoding step took 3 hours on normal quality for 7 Gig disc on Athlon64 3000+ (2.08 GHz 512 RAM).

I love that it handles Angles as I can now easy strip audio & subs from such VTS's (VobBlanker catering for all others). B)

@blutach the amount of tweaking possible w/ this program is what makes it awesome (second imo to one lost prog. that makes it all possible) I haven't tried half the add-on's much less the various filters that can be used. the only thing I used RME 4 was to get the settings the way I like them and my filters in order I have two filter scenario's pasted in a notepad on my desktop but I forget to use them most of the time because I'm happy w/ the basics blows shrink out of the water any way's

btw the selecting of what is to be unprocessed/processed would have me up all night testing BR to determine what needs it or not would there just be a d-fault rate at which it would not touch the source??

Edited by l8nights

OK what I do is this. If the menu is small - say <50Mb I don't tinker. Otherwise use MenuShrink.

I put all my efforts into the flick - I figure I'm only gunna watch the extras once anyway. If there's room on the disk, I'll pop some extras on, but no biggie - the original DVD can be used to see the extras.

Try to keep your main movie above 3500Mbps (using the FHE high-high matrix). At that level even the biggest projection screen will play it flawlessly. Higher BR if possible of course. Cut the credits ruthlessly if you don't need them. I like to turn the cast into 15 second stills (say 3 stills, saving about 200Mb) - see here.

If you've got the movie in at 100% and wanna add some extras (Hitch R4 was a good example), then make it 100% movie and lower the BR on the extras. I run it in Half D1 and used robot1's RBOpt to make the extras at about 2300Mbps. Not bad, and Procoder smoothed it nicely. Of course, this took some tweaking. I had to remove the movie (with PgcEdit), figure out my new target sectors left for the extras, fix rebuilder.ini, set the right BR for the extras to fit, encode and replace the original movie (uncompressed). Took a bit of work, but it came out a dandy.

Now, here's the rub. With DVD Shrink, it is so easy to implement this. You can keep the movie uncompressed and the BR for the extras will go down accordingly. But.... as a transcoder, the quality will just suck. So you need to re-encode properly, unless you just got a TV (say 68cm) where it won't be noticed.

Ummm... why is this discussion happening in this forum and not at d9?

Regards

Edited by blutach

ummm... why is this discussion happening in this forum and not at d9?

Regards

It all started w/ a heads up then blossomed into a guide

I checked out your guide to cutting credits :thumbup: I am glad to have benefitted from those more knowledgable such as your self

I was just commenting on replies and realized that this is the path (rebuilder as well as imgburn) that the community is slowly turning towards!

I was just commenting on replies and realized that this is the path (rebuilder as well as imgburn) that the community is slowly turning towards!
Very slowly. Most backer-uppers are still one-clickers who really don't care. They can't see the difference on their 26" TVs so they need not bother. And that is fair enough.

The more discriminating viewer will turn away from convenience to quality - and you can't tell me that DVDRB isn't easy to run in its native mode (withoud addons). There's even a one click mode! It's just the time it take to get the encode done. Most folks complain about an hour with DVD Shrink or Recode. 4-6 hours is totally untenable with DVDRB for them.

And that, at this stage, is the big difference. Time.

Regards

I agree, DVDS is very fast, but by quality standards not up to snuff. As I've learned and viewed for myself on my big screen TV. Quality surely does reign over time. DVDRB and Pgcedit may take more TIME, but the QUALITY is far superior. :thumbup:

Edited by kevdriver

• 2 weeks later...

Well l8nights, I was using DVD Rebuilder for a couple of months, started out with the freeware version first, then donated at the last second for the Pro Version, Quenc was the first one I ever tried, Quality sucked big time, I still need to learn alot about this program to get better quality

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.