What a Bunch of CRAP!

Movie Junkie

Here is a tidbit from an article in BusinessWeek Online...

"STRANGLEHOLD ON CONTENT. Even more extreme is a scheme called BD+ that deals with the problem of what to do when someone cracks the encryption scheme. The players can automatically download new crypto if the old one is broken. But there's an ominous feature buried in this so-called protection mechanism: If a particular brand of player is cryptographically "compromised," the studio can remotely disable all of the affected players. In other words, if some hacker halfway across the globe cracks Sony's software, Sony can shut down my DVD player across the Net."

The entire article can be read here.

Now I'm not condoning piracy but the BD+ scheme is pure BULLSHIT! I could be puchasing all of the HD discs that come out but if someone in Bumblefuck Singapore cryptographically compromises the brand of player I have then Sony can shut down my unit even though I don't have any pirated discs! As I said before this is pure BULLSHIT!

So, presumably the player will need to be connected to the net before you can play a disc?

Bollocks to that!

From what I understand the player will need to be connected to the telephone line and if it's not connected for an unknown specific time period it will cease to work. They will also, supposedly, be able to update the firmware in the player via the discs that you play. Edited by Movie Junkie

My dodgy, thirty dollar DVD player looks mighty good compared to this. I?d love to know what the benefits are of having a network capable DVD player that can secretly talk to its manufacturer. I don?t think so.
The only benefits will be to the manufacturer. Beside the fact that they'll be able to shut it down whenever they want they will also be able to keep track of what we watch. They also might be able to tell if the discs are from a rental of a purchase.

Christ, this almost seems like an invasion of privacy. Where will this end............. :angry::angry: A line surely has to be drawn somewhere....... :(
The ONLY way is not to purchase the equipment of the discs. Then it might go the way of the original DIVX discs and players.

The ONLY way is not to purchase the equipment of the discs. Then it might go the way of the original DIVX discs and players.

i had one of those players.. :blush: still have the dvds hoping that some day i will find out how to get them to play again.. <_<

I?d love to know what the benefits are of having a network capable DVD player that can secretly talk to its manufacturer. I don?t think so.

The only benefits will be to the manufacturer.

I realise that. (Not quite that old and silly yet). ;)

Instead of buying one of these beasties from $ony, I?m more inclined to wait until the market settles down (meaning I?ll wait until cracked firmware for Blu-Ray etc is available in set-top machines produced in China), so *I* decide what it can play or can?t play. When new $ony products hit the market with ?more features? they should seriously consider including a tube of anal lube with the purchase price so customers have a better idea of what they?re in for.

I?d love to know what the benefits are of having a network capable DVD player that can secretly talk to its manufacturer. I don?t think so.

The only benefits will be to the manufacturer.

I realise that. (Not quite that old and silly yet). ;)

Sorry Shamus. I should have realized it was a rhetorical question. (I must be that old and silly.) smilies-9182.png

Instead of buying one of these beasties from $ony, I?m more inclined to wait until the market settles down (meaning I?ll wait until cracked firmware for Blu-Ray etc is available in set-top machines produced in China), so *I* decide what it can play or can?t play. When new $ony products hit the market with ?more features? they should seriously consider including a tube of anal lube with the purchase price so customers have a better idea of what they?re in for.
:thumbup::thumbup:

Remote disabling of the hardware will never happen. In the US, some crazy guy in the House or Senate, and they're mostly crazy so I realize that doesn't narrow it down :D tried to introduce legislation to force PC manufacturers to include a hardware and software scheme to allow remote destruction of a PC should it be detected to contain pirated materials of all kinds. Yeah, all it takes is some clever virus to access this and REALLY cause hardware damage across the board, a first for a virus. :rolleyes: Thankfully, it was rightfully shot down.

Remote disabling of the hardware will never happen. In the US, some crazy guy in the House or Senate, and they're mostly crazy so I realize that doesn't narrow it down :D tried to introduce legislation to force PC manufacturers to include a hardware and software scheme to allow remote destruction of a PC should it be detected to contain pirated materials of all kinds. Yeah, all it takes is some clever virus to access this and REALLY cause hardware damage across the board, a first for a virus. :rolleyes: Thankfully, it was rightfully shot down.
Are we talking about the same House and Senate that allowed DRM? :whistling: They allowed that and they will not do a damn thing about BD+. For the most part they are in bed with these companies and while being in bed with them they will devise ways of FCUKING the rest of us.

Well, remember, there is a subtle ;) difference between DRM and the remote disabling, which actually was to physically destroy your hardware. Ala with a small explosive charge, apparently. :rolleyes: Also, DID the House/Congress even have to okay DRM? Or was it just like so much else of that :horse: and just added in their by the respective consortiums to placate someone else? :detective:

Well, remember, there is a subtle ;) difference between DRM and the remote disabling, which actually was to physically destroy your hardware. Ala with a small explosive charge, apparently. :rolleyes: Also, DID the House/Congress even have to okay DRM? Or was it just like so much else of that :horse: and just added in their by the respective consortiums to placate someone else? :detective:
All I know is that Congress could have passed laws against DRM just as they did in the Sony/Betamax case back in the 1970's that would have allowed us to make legal backups of the movies we own. but instead they passed laws making it illegal to circumvent the copy protection on those same movies. Edited by Movie Junkie

I'm no expert, but, as far as I know, Congress never passed any laws, even with the Betamax case. That that was a Supreme Court decision. If it was laws put into the books, then, none of the media companies would have any leverage at all in terms of copying from TV, etc. The DMCA and useless copyright extensions ad infinitum are the only laws I know of that were passed to give the content owners the strong arm they currently have. Which was exactly what they wanted. Something like DMCA passed that was so vague it gave virtual power through fear over everything.

I'm no expert, but, as far as I know, Congress never passed any laws, even with the Betamax case. That that was a Supreme Court decision. If it was laws put into the books, then, none of the media companies would have any leverage at all in terms of copying from TV, etc. The DMCA and useless copyright extensions ad infinitum are the only laws I know of that were passed to give the content owners the strong arm they currently have. Which was exactly what they wanted. Something like DMCA passed that was so vague it gave virtual power through fear over everything.
I'm sorry but in my haste to answer you I misstated what I had wanted to say. I'm not an expert either but I am under the impression that the Supreme Court decision was based on laws that were in effect at the time of their ruling. Those laws gave us the right to make copies of movies that we owned in addition to being able to copy programs "off the air".

I really hope this another information release that turns out to be hype....

As for the FW update via the discs - this is what Sony do now with the PSP and its games - they try to force you to update the FW to play the latest games...... So maybe there is some truth here too.....

I really hope this another information release that turns out to be hype....

As for the FW update via the discs - this is what Sony do now with the PSP and its games - they try to force you to update the FW to play the latest games...... So maybe there is some truth here too.....

Which is probably why old firmware for these things is everywhere. I actually saw the $ony PSP for the first time yesteday. It's an impressive little beastie. The resolution from that little 4" (?) screen is stunning.

Its actually a nice piece of kit (even for Sony :P ) as you say the screen and graphics are very good, you can watch movies on it via the UMD discs or from the memstick you just need to be careful which fw it comes with.

Originally you can downgrade to earlier versions that allow you to <cough> customise your PSP with whatever apps you like. Now tho Sony have tried to close this off with later fw releases..... That said I think you can get round it just not as easily...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.