How do I burn a video DVD...NOT a DATA DVD?

tackdriver

Hello,

New user here! I really like Imgburn but when trying to burn DVD slideshows or short movies from my hard drive to a DVD, it always burns them as a DATA DVD, which means I cannot fast forward or rewind the disc without starting all over from the beginning, nor can I skip chapters (assuming I even know how to create chapters).

Is there any way to ensure that my slide shows are being burned in such a way that the FF and RW functions and chapter skip functions will work, other than having to start all over from the beginning as the DATA DVD makes me do? Also, is there a way to create menus and chapters in Imgburn?

Thank you!

ImgBurn doesn't convert your video files (nor does it do any sort of authoring) so if you want a DVD Video disc you'll have to provide it with a proper VIDEO_TS folder full of (the correct set of) IFO/BUP/VOB files.

Thank you for your help...but can you say that in English? Sorry, I am not real experienced in computer lingo, but I do appreciate your help

Thank you.

ImgBurn burns stuff as is, i.e. it doesn't change anything, so if you want a slideshow/movie/etc disc then you'll need to use another program to author such disc and then you can use ImgBurn to burn the disc.

Hello,

New user here! I really like Imgburn but when trying to burn DVD slideshows or short movies from my hard drive to a DVD, it always burns them as a DATA DVD, which means I cannot fast forward or rewind the disc without starting all over from the beginning, nor can I skip chapters (assuming I even know how to create chapters).

Is there any way to ensure that my slide shows are being burned in such a way that the FF and RW functions and chapter skip functions will work, other than having to start all over from the beginning as the DATA DVD makes me do? Also, is there a way to create menus and chapters in Imgburn?

Thank you!

To answer your last question there first, no, ImgBurn does not create menus or chapters. You will need some sort of DVD authoring software to do that.

As for the rest of it - can you give some more details? Mainly what types of files do you have that you want to burn as a DVD video?

The only type of files that you can use for a DVD video are VOB files (which are DVD standard MPEG2 files). So any kind of video files that you have will need to be converted to VOB files first. The same goes for pictures - if you want to create a slideshow from, say, JPG files, you will need some authoring software to take the pictures, put them in order, decide how long each one will be displayed for, add transitions, etc. and then create a VOB file which will be your slideshow. DVD menus, likewise, need to be turned into VOB files. DVD authoring software will do all of this for you and export the VOB files along with an IFO file, which contains navigation information.

Once you have these files, you can use ImgBurn to burn them to disk, as you can with any kind of files. A DVD player looks for IFO and VOB files and, if they are present, will recognise the disk as a DVD video and play it as such. If you've burned VOB and IFO files using ImgBurn and the disk isn't being recognised as a DVD video, then you have a problem - perhaps you haven't got the directory structure right (all the DVD video files need to go into a folder called VIDEO_TS in the root of the DVD), or perhaps you're using a brand of media that your DVD player doesn't like (they can be picky, especially older or budget models). If you're just burning MPG, WMV, AVI, etc. files to disk then you'll just end up with a data disk with those files on it - they won't be recognised as DVD standard files, even if you are using DVD compliant MPEG2s, and there's nothing to tell the DVD player what to play, in what order or where the chapters, etc. are.

So if that's the case, you need to author the files using DVD authoring software - I actually do professional DVD and Blu-Ray production and I use Adobe Encore, but if that's too advanced for you there are plenty of other options, even free programs (even Windows Movie Maker!), depending on the files you're working with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.