Launching the Ask Toolbar installer without user consent

plugh

In pursuit of affiliate marketing commissions, some unscrupulous software distributors bundle crapware with their programs and attempt to sneak it past insufficiently paranoid users during installation. This sucks, but I (begrudgingly) accept it as a fact of life. ImgBurn 2.5.1.0, though, goes one step further - it launches the Ask Toolbar installer without asking or even notifying the user first. This is evil. It is a violation of trust I, the user, placed in you, the software author and distributor. It is also a violation of your published privacy policy.

It is sad to see a programmer disposing of his reputation in such a manner. I no longer plan to use ImgBurn or your other future programs.

No it doesn't.

I've already tweaked the installer to work around the momentary pause between 'pages'. The checker now runs when the installer first starts up.

This will first be available in 2.5.2.0 or whatever.

Are you sure that ImgBurn will not launch  ASKINSTALLCHECKER-1.4.0.0.EXE , without asking or even notifying the user first ?. Thank you very much.

Edited by sas2000

I no longer plan to use ImgBurn or your other future programs.

You are absolutly right. You will be happier without it. :lol:

When you are done trying other related software, that has virtualy non support, you will look with other eyes on ImgBurn.

No it doesn't.

Doesn't what? The installer asks whether to install the Uniblue ads, but not the Ask Toolbar, then it starts the Ask Toolbar installer component which proceeds to phone home.

Do your homework and read the other threads, I've explained everything in detail.

Have you?

I no longer plan to use ImgBurn.

I hope you're happy wasting gigabytes of HDD as well as huge amounts of RAM with other software in order to do the same things you do with ImgBurn.

Also, it's going to be a shame for the ImgBurn community to lose such a valuable user as you are, but don't worry, we'll survive.

Use the Ask Toolbar and search the forum for other threads that deals with the Ask Toolbar and you'll find it. ;)
Hah!... this goes to my custom ImgBurn messages. Edited by kenmasters1976

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.