DVD won't play

I justed burned about my 7-8 DL dvd and it's jacked up. I've made one coaster (no clue why), and one that had wrong booktype (not changed to dvd-rom), but other than that, been successful at having working dual layer dvd's. The one just I burned though fits between these, lol. The dvd burner will read it most of the time, and appears to be fine when it does. My dvd-rom drive and standalone player wont recognize the disk at all, which is what happened when I had wrong booktype in previous dvd. I checked the booktype both in imgburn and my dvd-rw software, and it says this media is dvd-rom booktype. So now I am lost on why only my dvd burner will read it, but nothing else. The burn went smooth, so are there any ideas as to why this happened to me? Thanks.

dudewithasquare, welcome to the forum. Posible you can post a log of the burn you made so we can see the media type your using. If by chance your using less expensive media ( CMC crap for one ) then this could be a possible cause. Computer drives are less finicky usually then stand alone players to what they will or will not play. :)

dudewithasquare, welcome to the forum. Posible you can post a log of the burn you made so we can see the media type your using. If by chance your using less expensive media ( CMC crap for one ) then this could be a possible cause. Computer drives are less finicky usually then stand alone players to what they will or will not play. :)

Sorry, I dont have a log file, cuz I didnt save it. I use verbatim media, so that shouldnt be the prob. Here is what imgburn says though for the last recorded dvd:

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: MKM-001-00

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,215,343

Layer Information:

Layer 0 Sectors: 2,018,736 (50%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 2,018,736 (50%)

See anything interesting or important? The burn went off without a hitch just like all others, so I dunno what could be the prob. Also, my other dvd drive wont read it at all and doesnt like trying to, which is how it also reacts to dvd+r dl booktype, though I check many times and this dvd claims to be dvd-rom booktype.

Edited by dudewithasquare

theres lots of info in the log, thats why we always ask for one .What drive are you using and is your firmware up to date Id start there .Go to Tools -->drive and last line is check for firmware or right click on the drive in IMGburn and do same its a start

if your using version 1.3.0.0 ( which you should be as its the latest version ),

goto TOOLS>SETTINGS>EVENTS and check the "SAVE THE LOG" box , and UNCHECK the "OVERWRITE EXISTING" box .

this will allow you to automatically save all the logs you create . to view a previous log file, goto the view button and make sure theres a check againts "View Log" , this will display the main log window, and from there you can view previous logs by clicking FILE>OPEN.

if you didnt already have the SAVE THE LOG checked , now is a good time to do it whilst your having these problems .

ideally ,next time you try a burn on DL. post the main log file for us

if your using version 1.3.0.0 ( which you should be as its the latest version ),

goto TOOLS>SETTINGS>EVENTS and check the "SAVE THE LOG" box , and UNCHECK the "OVERWRITE EXISTING" box .

this will allow you to automatically save all the logs you create . to view a previous log file, goto the view button and make sure theres a check againts "View Log" , this will display the main log window, and from there you can view previous logs by clicking FILE>OPEN.

if you didnt already have the SAVE THE LOG checked , now is a good time to do it whilst your having these problems .

ideally ,next time you try a burn on DL. post the main log file for us

I am using 1.1.0.0, which has caused no apparent problems for me, but should I still upgrade?

dude, yes by all means upgrade to current version 1.3.0.0 It will ask you if you want to keep previous setings, if you do click yes and away you go. Program will automatically overwrite previous installed version and upgrade to current one. :) If you click no you will have to manually go in and reset your settings.

Then the next time you burn a disk post a complete log file of the burn following Volvos instructions. :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.