Does IB support HT?

Pain_Man

I've been wonder if IB supports HT?

Taking a look at this screenshot I took of the Performance Tab of Tsk Mgr whilst IB was running--I also launched Word as a place to temporarily park the image while IB burned its disk--IB seemed to take no notice at all of the other apps launching or operating. CPU and memory useage hardly increased at all.

Here's the graph, which, it seems to me, says that yes, IB supports Hyperthreading (I'm running a P4 HT 2.8GHz, 800MB FSB, 1.5GB DDR 2700).

So, if Lightning happens to read this post, or the other IB Gods know, pls, do tell...

242221.png

This second example is, I believe (I forgot to record which app this was) from Divx Converter 6.2 which, again in my "lay" opinion, looks definintely to support HT. It was converting one of my English cousin Eddie's stand-up DVDs to High Def divx format (which for 25% of the size of the original, looks really good on my HDTV). Cousin Eddie really knows how to dress to kill.

242222.jpg

Apologies :blush: that the images aren't all sharp and professional looking. My wife's the graphics professional, not me. Besides, I used MS Photo Editor, not the most robust application. Guess I'm going to have to install Photoshop CS 2 or 9.0 or whatever the hell version it is.

(Kid's on school vacation and my Mom's had her since Tuesday night. Been kidless for three days. Ahhhh. Ends tomorrow. But it's been great while it lasted. After resolving a bunch of health insurance bullshit, I'm now back...just took a little vacation myself.)

Edited by Pain_Man

Anything that uses more than 1 thread will make use of HT - and ImgBurn is multithreaded.

The actual use of HT is controlled by the OS though and it does the job of assigning cpu time slices to these threads - it also controls which CPU (be it real or logical, as in the case of HT) the thread runs on.

Thanx for the reply. :worthy:

Tres cool on the almost marginal use of clock cycles. :thumbup:

I've been told that progs have to be written to take advantage of HT and with some apps I've seen activity on only one of the CPU graphs (CPU1 naturally enough). So I figured IB did support it. But I wanted to be sure. Slowly, but surely, I'm edjamacatin' myself.

Anything that uses more than 1 thread will make use of HT - and ImgBurn is multithreaded.

The actual use of HT is controlled by the OS though and it does the job of assigning cpu time slices to these threads - it also controls which CPU (be it real or logical, as in the case of HT) the thread runs on.

Edited by Pain_Man

Hey Pain_Man, it's good to see you back. :thumbup: Been wondering where you've been as we haven't seen your name on the board lately. :)

Thanks, Rush.

Just took a bit of mental vacation. Now it's over (my beautiful six yr old daughter is currently asking for pop...vacation over... ;) )

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.