Help burning CD FILES TO CD

liverpoolboy

I'd like to point out that older HiFi CD players don't read 80 min discs very well, if at all, it doesn't mention that in the guide. If the player supports or says MP3 on the face then it shouldn't have a problem, meaning that it's new enough.

I have a Technics SL-PG440, a great player, but it only accurately reads CD-R 74 min / 650 MB data, photo or music discs (burned with CD-Audio).

The real problem is finding them.

The other problem is that most burners now burn too fast for these discs. If I remember I had to burn at 4x but my DVD burner would only drop to 8 (or was it 16?), I had to install an older burner - a CD burner shouldn't have any problem.

Edited by bigsleep

I own a similar player to yours, mine is Technics SL-P310, and have no problem on reading any kind of home made Audio CD, even if the disc is CD-R 800/900 MB. Probably yours is a bit picky. Try a lens cleaning disc.

I mostly burn them at 16x without reading problem in any player, even at 48x don't recall to be a problem for my player, or others.

Actualy the 8x (16x) burn speed probably is the slowest speed that your burner/firmware/media combination allow.

Maybe you can update your burner firmware, get some decent media like Verbatim or Tayio Yuden and try the speeds up to say 32x and I think will be no problem.

Thanks, I've tried all that.

They will play, somewhat, but if I try to change tracks, skip ahead or back, then it skips all over. Sometimes, like you said depending on the media, they don't read at all.

Interesting, though:

Technics SL-P310 - 1986 $375

Technics SL-PG440 - 1993 $190

The difference may be because mine uses "MASH" oversampling, but I don't know.

I found: http://www.stereomanuals.com/vintagetechnics/cdplayers/

I allways loved the skiping function on mine, it works so fast and precise in comparition to other players that I view at my friends. It has High Speed Linear Access in less than a second, it literaly jumps to track selected not scanning on track. :thumbup:

Those were the original prices when they came out to market I think. I got it mine from a friend, can't remember the year, maybe 1995-1996 for $80 and was happy that I own a Technics CD player.

It works even today, though I not used it for quite some time now. I just clean it from dust from time to time... :lol:

I bought mine new, I seem to recall paying $150 for it.

Even though I have my computer connected to my HiFi (in fact I have it in a loop and use it like a media center), so I can play CD/DVD/DVD-Audio/audio files from the computer, I still think CDs sound much better when played through the Technics deck, and I don't blame the sound card since DVD-Audio sounds amazing (I have Alan Parsons Dark Side of the Moon quad 4.1 mix), and I haven't even bothered to buy a DVD console since the computer I think works better for that. If the Technics ever fails to function I suppose I'll be forced to buy a high quality Blue-ray player, why buy another CD player now?

Other than DVD-Audio (which is hardly available), there is nothing better than a clean LP recorded in 32-bit [then burned to DVD-Audio :thumbup: ]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.