External drives not detected if they are switched on after ImgBurn has started

I use a external NEC DVD burner connected by firewire and noticed that Imgburn did not detect the drive when it was turned on after Imgburn was started. It's not a big problem since Imgburn can just be restarted, but "it would be nice" (yes, another one of those for you :teehee: ) if Imgburn automatically detected when new drives are available, and added them to the destination drop-down combobox.

On the flip-side, it should also detect when drives are no longer available and remove them from the list.

See following article for info on how to do this:

http://www.codeproject.com/shell/shchangenotifyregister.asp

Since Imgburn supports Win 95/98/Me, then you'll have to use the WM_DEVICECHANGE broadcast message, as SHChangeNotifyRegister() is only for Win 2000 and above.

Just let me know if you need me to check/beta-test this or any other feature.

Uh... yeah... it will do that... because ImgBurn should only detect the drives on start. It could be written to poll all the time for drives, but, that would be quite intensive, and probably mess up other read and write activities if it did it too often in a short period of time while a drive was in use. Just a guess, though. :)

I would think, though, using Refresh (F5) should detect the drive if you've turned it off after opening ImgBurn? Give that a try. I forget if Refresh does a drive list poll or not. I know it can "free" a drive that may have been "caught" by ImgBurn, but, not always. So, even if it would do a drive list on Refresh, it may not necessarily find it. Thus, it's better to just turn the drive on before ImgBurn starts. :thumbup: So, shut down ImgBurn and then reopen it is probably the best bet.

You're lucky this next version is going to be v2 !

A big jump in numbers deserves a jump in functionality. As such, this will be done ready for its release.

I'd already implemented this in another app ages ago so it's just a copy + paste job really, with the addition of some checking that it's actually ok to refresh there and then, or if not, to queue it up for when it is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.