Increase priority of Imgburn.exe process to High when burning

As I've mentioned in one of my other posts, I like to do other things on the computer while burning. Because of this, the priority of the Imgburn process should be dynamically increased to High while burning to stop the Device buffer from emptying when using other apps. It can be set back to Normal priority when the burn has completed.

Hmmmm...... While burning the second copy of the ISO, Task Manager showed the priority of Imgburn as High, so it would appear that my suggestion is already implemented. I'm sure that it was set to Normal for the first copy, although I will check the next time I do a burn.

FYI, the reason I asked was because the Device buffer kept emptying everytime I switched to another app (even though I wasn't actually doing anything). While the second copy was burning, the Device kept flicking between 50% and 100% when another app had the focus. I've never had a similar problem with Nero, although I suppose it may be to do with the differences in how often Nero and ImgBurn obtain and update this information. Maybe Nero doesn't update as much or averages more.

Is there a separate app which I can use to monitor the Device buffer of the drive in real-time, so I can check the actual filled device buffer capacity while burning in Nero (preferably freeware or trialware) ?

It's always been set to high during a burn - as you've seen. No need to try and check for/prove otherwise ;)

Sorry, I don't know of any tools to monitor drive buffer usage outside of the burning app itself. Most apps (ImgBurn included) prevent other tools from looking at the drive during a burn, so they wouldn't work anyway.

I'm somewhat amazed you see such a difference when switching apps, I have about 20 windows open and mine doesn't really budge!

Take a look at the graph data output using DVDInfoPro. The buffer usage/cpu usage graphs might some some interesting stuff.

I'm somewhat amazed you see such a difference when switching apps, I have about 20 windows open and mine doesn't really budge!

Take a look at the graph data output using DVDInfoPro. The buffer usage/cpu usage graphs might some some interesting stuff.

Likewise, I don't completely understand what's going on although I've heard that NEC drives tend to exhibit that kind of behaviour whereby they drain the device buffer. It's just the way they're designed. With this in mind, it's very possible that Nero either doesn't update this info as much, or does some kind of averaging.

I will keep an eye on it with future burns and post back here if I uncover any more info, and also check out the graph data for future burns. That leads me onto yet another feature request....

The optional ability to have ImgBurn automatically save/export the graph data after a burn.

Oops! After checking again, in Settings->Write I found it - "Auto 'Export Graph Data'". Thanks.

I've only recently enabled animations in Proxomitron, and no offence, but after seeing your avatar made me remember why I initially disabled them in the first place. :lol:

I like the smiley animations, so I'm afraid your avatar has been added to my Ad-Muncher exclusion list - Sorry! :suicide::D

Defenestration, Cornys app goes way back, back to an old forum we were all on............ :'( . I'm sure he could find a better animation for it but it just wouldn't be Corny anymore then.............. :P

you can call me corny, and theres no hard feelings, if you dont like it thats up to you. you can't please everyone all the time :)

oh and about that drink... make it a coffee or cola and i'll join you

Now the coffee break is over back to the original problem.

Buffer fluctuation like this can be caused by several things

Insufficient memory

Buffer insufficient for your system (Try increasing the buffer size)

Source hard drive the same as the swap file hard drive.

Burner, Source or System Hard drives on the same IDE channel

Antivirus software kicking in too fiercely.

This problem is at its worst for me with my Laptop because I can only have one Internal Hard Drive and one Internal Burner.

I do not suffer this problem with my main rigs where my source Hard Drives and Burners are all on their own IDE channels

No can I go back to my Hibernation?

Edited by Flash

Now the coffee break is over back to the original problem.

Buffer fluctuation like this can be caused by several things

Insufficient memory

Source hard drive the same as the swap file hard drive.

Burner, Source or System Hard drives on the same IDE channel

Antivirus software kicking in too fiercely.

This problem is at its worst for me with my Laptop because I can only have one Internal Hard Drive and one Internal Burner.

I do not suffer this problem with my main rigs where my source Hard Drives and Burners are all on their own IDE channels

You forgot DMA issues, dodgy IDE controllers, 40wire ribbon cables on 80wire controllers, optical drives on RAID/SATA controllers, faulty firmware etc. etc. but not a bad summary. We are well aware of what causes buffering problems, the author of this software in particular. The original poster is also computer literate so stating the obvious causes of buffering problems is pointless. The countless variants of drives, media, background processes and other hardware are the source of the majority of problems we see here.

No can I go back to my Hibernation?

By all means. Unless you have a question.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.