Disc copy - why not?

oayz

Do you need Disc Copy?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you need Disc Copy function in ImgBurn?

• Yes
    • No

Hi LUK!

There were a few topics on the subject and you’ve provided definitive NO as an answer. However you’ve never mentioned the reasoning behind. Considering missing DiscCopy a major difference between ImgBurn and other similar projects I believe your thinking should be explained and may be even sticky-posted.

ImgBurn is super-featured s/w and making disc copy with it is quite simple (save to ISO write from ISO). Yet it’s quite inconvenient:

- takes twice the time

- requires spare space on HD (up to 50GB for dual-layer BD)

- requires extra user action (right at the middle of the process, e.g. in 2 hours at 1x)

I guess we all got used to it and consider it as a small price for the rest of ImgBurn. Yet if we could convince you to change your mind … (I’m trying to mimic Rome’s emperor repeating over and over “Carthage should be destroyed” :-)

Thanks for the great s/w!

P.S. Considering there are copyright concerns - DiscCopy doesn't always mean illegal copy. For example I quite often need to make a copy of data and send it to the field.

Edited by oayz

He have some valid points. Adding disc copy to EZpicker would be nice. Replace that discovery feature. Who needs it anyway? (beside of you :)

Would some new mockups or icons convice you? It's been a long time since i have spammed this forum :)

In truth, I just can't be bothered.

Disc to disc isn't as reliable and won't ever be.

I never use it and I tend to do things to ImgBurn that (may) benefit me - because I'm really selfish like that! :D

Well, I guess thousands and millions of IB users should find something you may want to copy. What's your pleasure LUK? :-)

Can't believe you use "reliability" as an excuse. DiscCopy has been in place for ages and I'm sure the guy who capable to put together such thing as IB will be able to figure out how to do disc copy right. Come on, give yourself some credit, will you?

Anyway, let me take advantage of poll feature here. Since you seem not to have any strong opinion against DiscCopy maybe we can collect number of responses sufficient to change your mind and help you suffering users :-)

Edited by oayz

It's not an excuse for not implementing it, it's the reason I don't use it - even if/when I could.

Seriously, it's too much messing around. Having a poll etc makes no difference to me at all and suggesting obvious things or things I've already commented on is just a waste of time.

I'm fully aware the program doesn't have a 'disc to disc' copy feature and it's not something I can see myself adding for a long time.

When I'm in the mood to do it, I'll do it. Until then, everyone will have to live without it.

A quick glance over the forum looks like a lot of people use ImgBurn for copying discs... a configurable "copy" function (read... write... delete /or/ read & write) would be quite useful :D (especially in place of "discovery", I agree, I've never used that... what's with the facepalm? I don't see a use for a "create-a-coaster" function!)

I wouldn't think it'd be too hard, just "create ISO" to a named pipe and hand it off to the "burn ISO" function ;) (in the world's most quick-and-dirty way of describing it)

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing this topic back from the dead, LUK It's been over 2 years and I'm sure you're still not in the mood for adding disc copy feature, How about adding a script to copy the disc to hard drive as disc image and burn from the disc image after setting the destination folder and choosing the drive that has the blank disc and hit start to run the script, rather than making copy from disc to disc on the fly, How is your mood about this?

Edited by dellsam34

Sorry for bringing this topic back from the dead, LUK It's been over 2 years and I'm sure you're still not in the mood for adding disc copy feature, How about adding a script to copy the disc to hard drive as disc image and burn from the disc image after setting the destination folder and choosing the drive that has the blank disc and hit start to run the script, rather than making copy from disc to disc on the fly, How is your mood about this?

ImgBurn can do that already Sherlock ;)

Edited by Adrianvdh

I dont realy know Add Disc 2 Disc feature I never use it EVER... ImgBurn is great the way it is, I dont think people would ever do somthing like that (people not on this forum) Disc to Disc is compromising the actual data... what is the disc get scratched or damaged you would need an Image of the disc the recopy it...

Bad things...

Discs cost alot of money these day especially Bluray...

Disc burns are not 100%

Discs require a dive to be played.

Good thing...

They are portable and small

The disc format works most of the time

ImgBurn is specail in it own way it would need such a feature as disc to disc copy when you can just do it already by creating a image file and burning it to a disc same time to do the process (maby a few seconds longer)

Edited by Adrianvdh

You can't do it in 1 step. I just meant you can already script it to perform a read operation and then a write operation via a simple batch file - and you can do that yourself.

Ok now back to my original question, Is it possible in the future to add one step feature? read disc -> save image -> read image -> burn image

The reason I'm asking is I usualy don't backup when I'm using the computer to avoid errors, so I start the copy process when I go to work, So it will be nice to do all the steps in one and imgburn will shuttdown the computer afterwards.

All you need is a batch file doing this...

ImgBurn.exe /MODE READ /SRC D: /DEST "C:\TempImage.iso" /START /CLOSE

ImgBurn.exe /MODE WRITE /SRC "C:\TempImage.iso" /DEST E: /SPEED 8x /COPIES 1 /VERIFY YES /ERASE /START /WAITFORMEDIA /CLOSE /DELETEIMAGE YES /SHUTDOWN

That'll read the disc in drive D: to a temporary image file on your C: drive. It'll then burn that image to a disc in drive E:, delete the image file, close the program and shut down your computer.

Double click the batch file and go to work.

I know how to make one I have master batch programing... I was just asking if ImgBurn creates the batch files itself or do I have to code a batch file if so how do i code the "ImgBurn Batch" that supports ImgBurn? else what varibles do i have to set ...

Edited by Adrianvdh

If you knew anything at all about batch files, you'd have made one using the info I provided earlier in about 2 seconds.

It's ok to have no clue about something, just don't pretend that you do.

If I knew anything at all about batch files I won't be asking for a such simple feature. I know your are refering to the master batch programing guy above but yes I don't have to be an IT tech to burn a disc. Can you make one for me?

Edited by dellsam34

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.