Using Filter Driver Load Order tool

ManFromAustin

I recently reloaded my computer with Windows XP and found that old familiar warning message reappear in my ImgBurn log:

W 13:26:17 DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_STORAGE_MCN_CONTROL) Failed! - Media change notification has NOT been disabled.

I get this message at the start of every read and write operation. The first time I got this message, I updated my SiI3112 SATA Controller driver and it went away but after I reloaded my operating system this technique no longer worked for me.

In searching through the forum, I found a suggestion to check my filter driver order and sure enough, I had the dreaded SiRemFil driver loaded as my upper class filter. This driver was loaded when I installed a four port SATA controller card containing a SiI3124 chip. Instead of removing SiRemFil using the Filter Driver Load Order tool, I choose instead to disable it using the Autoruns program. MISTAKE! When I rebooted, I blue-screened! Fortunately, I was able to boot into my last good configuration and get healthy again.

I still didn’t want to remove SiRemFil because I wasn’t convinced how my SATA card would behave, so I tried playing around with ImgBurn’s settings, specifically, SPTI – Device Enumeration Method. I found that by changing this setting to Drive Letter, I only get this message once on my first read operation. I thought that was interesting.

Any ideas why it works this way?

By the way, I restored my system drive to another partition and used the filter driver load order tool to remove SiRemFil and it stopped the warning message.

Question, what is the difference between removing SiRemFil using ImgBurn’s tool from disabling it with Autoruns?

Now that I know that removing SiRemFil seems safe, for the sake of burn quality, is it better to remove it or just continue running with the "Drive Letter" setting enabled?

Thanks for a great program and past support! Looking forward to your comments. Peace.

I don't know what Autoruns does to remove it so I can't comment on that.

You should remove it.

ImgBurn defaults to using the best method of I/O communication. You shouldn't change it to anything else unless you really have to. (and you don't have to)

Do you have XP SP3 installed?

Hey LIGHTNING UK!

I took your advice and all is well :D ...and I do have XP SP3 installed.

I think I figured out why I blue-screened after removing SiRemFil with the Autoruns program. After removing SiRemFil with ImgBurn's filter driver load order tool, it still remained in the driver stack for each of my hard drives and I still see it in the boot order using Sysinternals' LoadOrder program. When Autoruns removed it, it was gone baby gone!

Really appreciate all of your support and thanks again for a great program. Peace bro.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.