What do I do with a .bin file?

ckelly33

I did a project using a AVCHD and go it to BluRay using Premiere CS5. It works file but I lost my raw data and really want a backup (just in case).

I used ImgBurn to rip it and it immediately gave me an error stating that it would not make a .iso image of a 1080/24 file. Instead, it would make a .bin image. What do I do now to get this to a writable state so that I can make a workable BluRay backup out of it? Do I treat is as an .iso file and just go about it the same way? I ran across this before when I tried to backup this exact disc (it is my only 1080/24 project) and I never got it to burn. Now I'm back, determined to get a backup of this!

Thanks for any information that you can give me.

-Chris

It sounds like CS5 made a multisession disc.

Your best bet is to build a new image. Just point ImgBurn at the drive letter of the drive with that disc in and have it make a new ISO image on your hdd.

Then burn that new ISO.

Not sure I understand what you mean (either by CS5 making a multisession disc (I'm new to CS5), OR but pointing to the drive with the disc in it (I think that is what I did to begin with)).

I have ImgBurn open and I have 6 choices on the screen (the EzMode Picker). I chose "Create Image file from disc" last time. And I got the same error, "As Yoda would say, "Hmm, Failed in your attempt to outsmart me, you have." ISO is not an apprpriate container format for the current disc and regardless of what you select for the file extension, I will not create a true (MODE1/2048)ISO image! The file will be created with a '.bin' extension instead."

It looks like I misquoted the error in the original question. I apologize but I still need help in backing up this disc. I have tried to make an ISO image 4-5 times and the only thing it will allow me to do is a .bin file.

Cynthia, I tried to do a straight burn of a .bin on my first attempt, I got an error and it ruined the burn disc.

With that disc in the drive and ImgBurn in Read mode, please copy and paste here all the text shown to the right of ImgBurn's main window.

What LUK said can be done using the 'Create image file from files/folders' option.

With that disc in the drive and ImgBurn in Read mode, please copy and paste here all the text shown to the right of ImgBurn's main window.

What LUK said can be done using the 'Create image file from files/folders' option.

hp BD-RE BH20L B57A (ATAPI)

Current Profile: BD-R

Disc Information:

State of Last Session: Incomplete

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 11,826,176

Size: 24,220,008,448 bytes

Time: 2628:04:26 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:

Session 1... (LBA: 0)

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 11826175)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 11826176)

Track Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, LTS: 10016, LRA: 0)

-> Track 02 (LTSA: 10016, LTS: 11815872, LRA: 0)

-> Track 03 (LTSA: 11825888, LTS: 288, LRA: 0)

BD Disc Information:

Disc ID: SONY-NS2-02

Disc Type: BD-R

Disc Size: 120mm

Disc Class: 0

Disc Version: 1

Number of Layers: 1

Layer Type: Writable

DVD Layer Present: No

CD Layer Present: No

Channel Bit Length: 74.5nm (25GB Per Layer)

Push-Pull Polarity: Positive

Recorded Mark Polarity: HTL

BCA Present: Yes

Maximum Transfer Rate: Not Specified

Last User Data PSN for Disc: 0

First PAA of Data Zone: 131,072

Last PAA of Data Zone: 1,658,494

Ok. That didn't work either. I chose "Create image file from disc" and when I started I got the following:

1. You've only selected 1 file and it looks like it's an image file! <file location> You're in 'Build' mode, are you sure you want to create a backup of this image rather than just burning it normally? Note: If you want to burn normally, click 'No', switch to 'Write' mode and then try again.

-> I clicked yes and it took me to a 'Confirm Volume Label' page and I chose yes and I got an error (note, I also chose no and got the same error).

Next, I get an size error that reads, "Ca' tab.

dd file to image! <filename> Size 24,220,008,448 bytes. ISO9660 Limit 4,294,967,295. Reason: File size exceeds the limit imposed by the ISO9660 file system. Hint: If you want to backup this file, you'll have to do one of the following: 1. Switch the 'File System' option on the 'Options' tab to 'UDF', 2. Enable the 'Allow Files Exceeding Size Limit' option on the 'Advanced' -> 'Restrictions -> 'ISO9660"

I did #1 and changed from ISO9660 + UDF to UDF only and let it run. It successfully produced and .iso file, so I changed modes on ImgBurn to burn it. It burned successfully but by BluRay player (Oppo BDP-83) saw it as a data disc. I put it back in my computer and it was also seen as a data disc. I recehecked everything....I had indeed selected the .iso that was produced from the first ImgBurn run, but the file that was on the disc was back to a .bin!

Edited by ckelly33

You aren't/weren't supposed to build an image of an existing ISO (or BIN file).

What I meant was that say your optical drive is drive letter E: (the one with the blu-ray disc in it), well you just add 'E:\' to the edit box in 'Build' mode and click the green '+' symbol button next to it.

Notice my previous post said to point it at the drive letter of the drive with the disc in it. Nowhere did I mention pointing it at the ISO/BIN file you'd created.

That'll make it build a new ISO image from the files on the disc (as Windows sees them) rather than reading the entire disc sector by sector how 'Read' mode does it.

You aren't/weren't supposed to build an image of an existing ISO (or BIN file).

What I meant was that say your optical drive is drive letter E: (the one with the blu-ray disc in it), well you just add 'E:\' to the edit box in 'Build' mode and click the green '+' symbol button next to it.

Notice my previous post said to point it at the drive letter of the drive with the disc in it. Nowhere did I mention pointing it at the ISO/BIN file you'd created.

That'll make it build a new ISO image from the files on the disc (as Windows sees them) rather than reading the entire disc sector by sector how 'Read' mode does it.

FANTASTIC! It worked. Thanks for the clarification!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.