Can I copy JPG photos to DVD?

pegasus2120

I am trying to backup my JPG photos to DVD. Can I do this with Imgburn.

I have used the browse button to find the file, but Imgburn does not recognise the file format. I have scrolled down the list and JPG or TIF does not appear there.

I would also like to back up files and programmes. Can Imgburn help me with these backups??

I have been told on another Forum that DVD's are not the best way to store photos as they don't have a long life. Is this correct? What other media would I use?

pegasus2120, ImgBurn will recognize only image files. You'll have to create one image (ISO, NRG, etc.) file with all of your pictures; Folder2Iso is a good program to use. From there, ImgBurn will burn your image. This should work for your files and programs as well.

As far as the life-span of the DVD, I'm not sure that you should be too concerned about that, but that's just my opinion.

Not yet but soon. Lightning_UK! is furiously coding the next version as we speak. Stay tuned.......

I have used the browse button to find the file, but Imgburn does not recognise the file format. I have scrolled down the list and JPG or TIF does not appear there.
As noted above by Flawless115, ImgBurn (in its current capacity) only burns disk images.
I would also like to back up files and programmes. Can Imgburn help me with these backups??

Again, wait for the new version. It has a great deal more functionality than the current public version.

I have been told on another Forum that DVD's are not the best way to store photos as they don't have a long life. Is this correct? What other media would I use?

Yes and no. If you use *good* media, yes. If you use crap media, no. Afterall, if DVDs were not a very good way to store data, we would not have progressed from the humble VCR. :)

Thank you both for your advice and comments. I look forward to the new version of Imgburn.

I agree with your comments re the DVD's I thought that I would be safe using these. I am presently using Verbatim and Datasafe DVD's and so far they have been very good.

Again, thanks

pegasus2120, ImgBurn will recognize only image files. You'll have to create one image (ISO, NRG, etc.) file with all of your pictures; Folder2Iso is a good program to use. From there, ImgBurn will burn your image. This should work for your files and programs as well.

As far as the life-span of the DVD, I'm not sure that you should be too concerned about that, but that's just my opinion.

Folder2Iso is excellent. I have just downloaded it and with Imgburn copied my JPg pictures to a DVD. It is so quick and easy to use.

Thanks for the information

Not yet but soon. Lightning_UK! is furiously coding the next version as we speak. Stay tuned.......

As noted above by Flawless115, ImgBurn (in its current capacity) only burns disk images.

Again, wait for the new version. It has a great deal more functionality than the current public version.

Yes and no. If you use *good* media, yes. If you use crap media, no. Afterall, if DVDs were not a very good way to store data, we would not have progressed from the humble VCR. :)

A big thank you Shamus,

I have now used Folder2Iso, with Imgburn, and they are safely on a DVD for storage. A donation is winging its way as we speak.

Many thanks one and all.

Thank you both for your advice and comments. I look forward to the new version of Imgburn.

I agree with your comments re the DVD's I thought that I would be safe using these. I am presently using Verbatim and Datasafe DVD's and so far they have been very good.

Again, thanks

You're welcome. :) The new version of ImgBurn will be a brilliant tool. We've been playing around with various betas with the new functionality for about a month now (Lightning_UK! is a prolific coder :) ) and it works really, really well.

On a side note, there are other options available to you for backing up valuable data. The most obvious is copying your files onto another hard-drive. If your PC doesn't have the capacity for another internal HD or you're not comfortable pulling your PC apart, then purchasing an external drive would be a wise investment. Also, if your files aren't that large, you could zip (and encrypt) them and upload them to a google email account for safe keeping. You could even email them to friends or family so they have copies as well.

G/Day guys I'm new to the forum so don't all jump on me at once lol

where do I download Folder2Iso.

thanks Guys I have found it and down loaded .

Question once I have made the Iso file and copyed the files to a dvd can I had to it and if so how, I have tried but it jus comes up with disk not emtey.

Thanks for your help.

Pat.

Edited by Pat

Shamus.......... =))=))=)) Love that Pic......... :lol:

Pat, if after your first round of putting ISO files on disk, it did a finalization of the disk, you won't be able to add any more. Thats the reason for disc not empty message. :)

Ok Guys I tried that the first time it wanted to format the disk which I let it but it froze at 77% still will try again.

Many thanks

Pat.

No Problems the second time . All is well.

Edited by Pat

Deffo froze and not just taking a while to complete ? I would give it a go again and come back to us.

If it does it again copy paste the ImgBurn log up for us to take a look at.....

Btw is your firmware on the drive up to date ?

I am just wondering why you can't use any program to copy to Dvd I use Nero to write photos and music to dvd disk no problems in fact I have one disk with over 1000 songs on and I put all my photos on dvd I use Nero to back up.

Pat.

Pat, I guess you could use other programs to burn to DVD, but I've always found that imgburn does the best job by far. Quality of burn plus its funtionality, in my opinoin puts it way ahead of the rest. Plus imgburns support is the best with problems being answered and corrected usually right away by a team of highly educated and dedicated personal.

For DVD's not being a good medium to store stuff on, well maybe if you use a cheaper media to save a couple of cents, that might be correct. These cheaper media tend to become unreadable quite quickly. A higher quality media such as TY's or verbatim should provide you with a safe storage mecca for years to come. :) . But like everything in this world, nothing is forever................ :(:/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.