Burner Buffer 0%

layer

hie,

i'm burning one DVD+R whith my benq 1640 and the buffer is 0% but the image buffer is 100%, but the writing speed is realy stable, it's a bug?

i'm running windows 2003...

thanks

Edited by Peter

Not one I or anyone else has ever seen, no.

Maybe your drive just isn't reporting the values, hence I have nothing to display. If the drive errors out on the initial buffer size discovery command, the thread that deals with buffer levels never gets run. I suspect that's what's happening here.

This isn't a normal thing btw, loads of us have BenQ drives and do not suffer this problem.

I alone have a 1620, 1640 and a 1655.

strange, the last burn it was on win xp and the buffer is 96-100% normal...

sory by errors in english :blush:

PS: burning as end and no errors, nothing strange...

Edited by Peter

• 5 months later...

i know this thread is old, but i just had the same problem. except with a cd.

i was burning a cd at 8x on my laptop with an NEC ND-6650A dvd burner.

device buffer was a solid 0%, image buffer was 100% with a very stable burn speed, and perfectly burnt cd.

Actually, when the burn progress hit about 80%, the device buffer shot up to 100% till the end of the burn.

It was on a fresh install of Windows Vista, which I have used before and never had this problem.

anyway, GREAT program!! It is the only burning software that i use for the most part.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
i know this thread is old, but i just had the same problem. except with a cd.

i was burning a cd at 8x on my laptop with an NEC ND-6650A dvd burner.

device buffer was a solid 0%, image buffer was 100% with a very stable burn speed, and perfectly burnt cd.

Actually, when the burn progress hit about 80%, the device buffer shot up to 100% till the end of the burn.

It was on a fresh install of Windows Vista, which I have used before and never had this problem.

anyway, GREAT program!! It is the only burning software that i use for the most part.

Thanks.

I've seem similar odd behavior using an NEC-3550A under Windows 2003. I haven't bothered

keeping too many details. Also, sometimes it will sit at some odd value like 30% and then later

on it will shoot up BUT this odd behavior seems to occur during the verification stage NOT during

burning stage, as I recall.

The 'Device Buffer' in the Verify stage is not the same as the one in the Write stage.

In Write, the device buffer is the drives internal cache - ImgBurn has no control over it. The drive will use its cache as it sees fit and it often empties when burning due to WOPC - that's what's supposed to happen.

In Verify it's the programs internal buffer that's caching the data read from the drive - where the 'Image Buffer' is then caching the data read from the file. The data within these two buffer is what gets compared.

As reading from the HDD should be far faster than reading from the CD/DVD drive, Verify mode's 'Device Buffer' should remain on 0% and the 'Image Buffer' should be on 100%.

The 'Device Buffer' in the Verify stage is not the same as the one in the Write stage.

In Write, the device buffer is the drives internal cache - ImgBurn has no control over it. The drive will use its cache as it sees fit and it often empties when burning due to WOPC - that's what's supposed to happen.

In Verify it's the programs internal buffer that's caching the data read from the drive - where the 'Image Buffer' is then caching the data read from the file. The data within these two buffer is what gets compared.

As reading from the HDD should be far faster than reading from the CD/DVD drive, Verify mode's 'Device Buffer' should remain on 0% and the 'Image Buffer' should be on 100%.

Is there any way to turn off WOPC so I stop getting errors on my DVDs.

99% of the time it results in damaged PGC data.

That's often the case but sometimes there's a small amount in the cache which is confusing

but I usually only do very low damnding operations during burning and I do moderate activities,

like going here or checking e-mail during verification since it doesn't risk damaging data stored

on the DVD.

At 2X the WOPC only drops the internal device buffer to 60-70% but at 4X it drops to 7% and

then the drive stops burning for about a second then the light goes on again. With the Lit-On

drives it happens ALL the time so the drive slow to a crawl. They are crap. My NEC will only

do it half a dozen times not zillions like the crappy Lite-On drive.

At this point I'd pay triple for a Plextor if I was convinced they didn't have the same crappy

design or if they simply used a 8 or 16MB buffer and not a microscopic 2 MB one. I suspect

it would solve everything since it works fine at 2X. A 2 MB buffer simply doesn't hold enough

data to allow it to not empty at 5.54 MB/sec., an 8MB, or ideally a 16MB, buffer should hold

enough data just like 2MB does for a 2X burn.

As you may guess by now I find may products to be designed by idiots. ImgBurn is an

exception. DVD ReMake Pro is an even better product. It's almost magical. DVD burners

are mostly junk but then Windows is crap itself. Every week there's another zillion bugs.

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure which drive you have but on my BenQ I am able to turn off WOPC if I wish, it's done via the utilities that come on the seperate CD I think....

It a crappy NEC 3550A which came with nothing. Oddly the BIOS recognizes over 900 media signatures instead of the usual puny 50 - 100 of most drives. I was able to get a patched version so now it's region free and more importantly I can set the Book Type via the NEC tool in ImgBurn so I can now burn playable DVD+R media but still no WOPC utility that I know of. It's excellent with CDs and burns at 16X and 48X with perfection but it's junky when burning DVDs and can only handle 2X due to the crappy WOPC always slowing it down.

Do you know of such a utility for a Lite-On Drive. Those things are useless. It's calibrating every billionth of a second and runs as slow as heck. My pioneer 110D is crap too. I miss burning at 4X since 2X take eons by comparison. Even 2.4X DVD+R disks are much nicer than s sluggish 2X burn.

Edited by Dolt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.