availible output formats?

dragonslayer

While going thru the motions of copying dvd's thru the years I never really payed much attention to the output as long as they played back. I am now interested in learning more of the in's and out's of what I am doing and all the possibilities/capibilities of what is availible. While in the start I like alot of others used Nero and was subsequently tied to their software for playback. I see now that using Imageburn for ISO output is saving it in Virtual Clone Drive format and I am curious as to how it decided to save it to that format and weather that is selectable/changable.

ImgBurn generally outputs ISO or BIN (+ CUE) files.

They're the most commonly used formats for disc images.

What you're seeing with the 'Virtual Clone Drive' format is just down to how your system is configured, it's nothing to do with ImgBurn. Do some research into file associations.

So there is nothing in the Imgburn program that I check/uncheck to save it as a generic ISO format that does not require it to use a particular program to open it? The reason that I ask is because I am unable to unmount an image from VirtualCloneDrive in order to delete it. I used AnyDVD to process then used imageburn to make an iso, which it saved in the VCD format. I tried to use VCD to mount and play it to see if all went well; it mounted it but that is all it did. I used VLC to check playback and it worked fine and so I transferred to my daughter's media player and attempted to delete the iso from my hdd, which it would not allow me to do, because it was in use by another program. From there I attempted to unmount it from VCD and it does not give me a right click function to unmount nor can I change the virtual drive from "E" to "Z". I have all these iso's in VCD association and there appears to be a problem with it so that is why I am attempting to disassociate them and go in another direction.

Like I said, it already saves as a generic ISO file. There's no such thing as a 'VCD' format image. You've just got your file associations configure so that VCD is the default app for ISO files.

To me is sounds like you have issues using VCD.

Try using the system tray application to unmount the image if you can't figure out the right click context menu.

You can change drive letters via Computer Management (right click 'My Computer' -> Manage) -> Storage -> Disk Management

Thank you; Yes, you are correct in the problem with Virtual Clone Drive. You answered my question now I will move to the slysoft forums to start the next step of troubleshooting.

BTW there is no system tray application nor will it load one.

Edited by dragonslayer

I tried to use VCD to mount and play it to see if all went well; it mounted it but that is all it did. I used VLC to check playback and it worked fine and so I transferred to my daughter's media player

BTW, it's off-topic, but just in case you don't know, you can skip a step there and just use VLC to play the ISO file directly.

Right-click on the ISO and choose "Open With", then "Choose Program" and select "VLC media player" which should be in the list of programs you get offered. You don't need to mount the ISO in any virtualised drive in order to play it with VLC.

• 2 weeks later...

@Lightning UK,

My apoligies,you were correct on the disc image. As I updated my other apps I simply looked at the date on the VCD as 2009 and did not realize it was an update for my older version and skipped over it. This time when I installed I did not associate any files with it what does this mean when I complete my next iso with image burn that I will have to pick a program file association or will it just put a Image burn icon next to it.? Now that I have downloaded and installed the new version and unassociated I was able to go in and delete the ISO and MDS that I couldn't do before.

@scuzzy,

Am unable to check if after the new download and disassociation if I was able to now open it with VLC as I deleted the ISO and MDS. Thank you but yes I am aware that I can right click and open with VLC, but on that particular one it would not let me do it becaause it would not unmount from VCD and that is what started the concern.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.