The Whale

Movie Junkie

I'm not sure if this is true but I hope it is...

MJ

If you read the front page story of the SF Chronicle, you would have read about a female humpback whale

who had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines.

She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging in her mouth.

A fisherman spotted her just east of the Farralone Islands (outside the Golden Gate) and radioed an environmental group for help.

Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and untangle her...a very dangerous proposition.

One slap of the tail could kill a rescuer.

They worked for hours with curved knives and eventually freed her.

When she was free, the divers say she swam in what seemed like joyous circles. She then came back to each and every diver, one at a time, and nudged them, pushed gently around-she thanked them. Some said it was the most incredibly beautiful experience of their lives.

The guy who cut the rope out of her mouth says her eye was following him the whole time, and he will never be the same.

May you, and all those you love,

be so blessed and fortunate ....

to be surrounded by people

who will help you get untangled

from the things that are binding you.

And, may you always know the joy

of giving and receiving gratitude.

I pass this on to you, my friends, in the same spirit.

Yay! I liked that story and MJ, you're right. It's a "feel good" story. In this day and age, everyone seems to forget what is truely important. I applaud the efforts of all the rescuers involved. They are true heroes! They were willing to risk everything to save an unfortunate soul from certain death where others would just as easily have looked the other way as if it didn't matter.

Yay! I liked that story and MJ, you're right. It's a "feel good" story. In this day and age, everyone seems to forget what is truely important. I applaud the efforts of all the rescuers involved. They are true heroes! They were willing to risk everything to save an unfortunate soul from certain death where others would just as easily have looked the other way as if it didn't matter.
You've got that right. :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.